IGNORED

Progressives....too stiff?

OK, I did the progressive install a few weeks ago and the ride is better than the leaky stock it had when I got it, but I think it is far too harsh. Little bumps seem to affect the ride too much and my wife said it felt like we were on a Jet-Ski! When I did the install I left the following parts above the new spring: plastic spacer from progressive, cap and cap bolt. I filled it up with oil to 11" deep with fully extended tubes. Everything is back together and working correctly, but it is far to harsh. Any suggestions on how to make it ride like I have read it should?

I would drain out the oil that is in there. Use 12oz. of 10 wt. fork oil in each tube (measure carefully) and see how it rides. The service manual says 13.5 oz. but the progressives have a heavier coil than the stock springs and displace more oil.

It might be smoother without the PVC spacer. I have read some will not put them in or they take them out.

I think mine are in and yes, that front end will stiffen right up and point that front end up in the air.

I have considered removing them but I don't want to do it. I am sick of working on my bike. In fact, considering letting it go.

I would start over with the oil just so you know that you have the same amount in both sides. I do not use any air pressure in the forks either.

I see what you are saying, but I think that using the tubing method to ensure they are at the same level would have the same effect.

I think I might pull the plastic spacers out and see how it rides. It really seems like the springs have far too much pre-load on them. It almost seems like the forks are rocking front to back rather than up and down because there is so much pressure on the springs.

I agree that you should use 12oz fork oil and 0-3 psi in front shock and 65 psi in rear. Was advised that by another member because I thought it rode to rough also. I weigh 280 pounds and left the progressive spacer intact. Some cut the spacer in half.

I left the pvc spacer outta mine when Rocket put in the progressives and it rides great!. I hardly ever run air in my front forks and it never bottoms out.

Occasionally when riding 2 up or if I am on a long ride in the country I will add a bit of pressure to firm it up for a bit sportier handling.

Brian

I installed the Progressive about 14,000 miles ago and had the same impression. I did cut the PVC spacer in half and used SS washers to adjust the preload to my liking.

After riding on the stock springs the Progressives felt harsh and I kept adjusting the preload trying to soften it up. No real luck with that. But after a couple of thousand miles on the new springs they did seem to lose some of the harshness. I don't think I just got used to the feeling but believe the springs actually relaxed a bit after some use. I used the 10 wt oil in mine also.

Give it some time and see if you feel a difference. I'm into my third season on them and it feels fine to me now. I run no pressure on the front unless I'm running two up with a lot of gear packed and then add a couple of pounds. I'm 285 lbs so the bike is loaded most the time. LOL!

Mike