IGNORED

cooler racks

Sideoftheroad

I used a BBQ grate from Academy, Char-Broil, I think. Then I used 4 U-bolt straps plus bolts plus washers to hold it on. I've only tried it once for a couple hundred miles, but it is solid.

You want cheap? Hard to beat this, unless you reuse your old BBQ grate. :)

Dave

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4627867565_1b2db32445_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4628471346_94a52c1a51_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4633626096_ce51cf3046_z.jpg

Dave,

You have a part #? I found academy online but didn't find the bbq grate. I imagine anyplace like lowe's/home depot/menards has the same thing.

My cooler isn't quite as big as the one in your 2nd picture. If you say it is solid with that big cooler on it then I say it is worth a look.

I was in the kitchen and saw the cookie sheet. Tried to flex it and it didn't so it is making me wonder too

Dave,

You have a part #? I found academy online but didn't find the bbq grate. I imagine anyplace like lowe's/home depot/menards has the same thing.

My cooler isn't quite as big as the one in your 2nd picture. If you say it is solid with that big cooler on it then I say it is worth a look.

I was in the kitchen and saw the cookie sheet. Tried to flex it and it didn't so it is making me wonder too

No part number. I just went in and bought a stock replacement BBQ grill. $10? There are lots of choices, so pick the one you like from your favorite grilling accessory store.

I will not use that cooler again. There was absolutely no problem with stability. My problem is that the cooler reflected the sound from my pipes right back at me. My Road Kings were great for cruising... loved the rumble. But when you hear the rumble PLUS the sonic boom reflected back at you... it is too much.

I plan on touring several thousand miles with the trailer, including a few times where I'll ride 700-1000 miles per day. I want as quiet a ride as possible, since sound creates fatigue. I've put my stock pipes back on (which sound great to me now) and got a smaller, well insulated cooler that won't created a wall to bounce the sound on. It'll work great since I am not enduro-camping. We'll hit diners along the way and keep a minimum of food in the cooler. When we reach the long empty stretches, I'll put a gas can on the rack next to the cooler.

Have fun!

Dave

I used a 48 qt cooler works fine also had a smaller one Size ?

it adjusts to any size and a few bungee cords your done

Dave W/Wayne,

Would you feel comfortable using a cooler as big as Dave77459's? Reason why I ask is I have seen that on the net too. I know the e-bay description says adjusts for any size cooler but the web-site (providing it is for the same seller) says small coolers

http://motorcycletrailer.com/icb/

Dave W/Wayne,

Would you feel comfortable using a cooler as big as Dave77459's? Reason why I ask is I have seen that on the net too. I know the e-bay description says adjusts for any size cooler but the web-site (providing it is for the same seller) says small coolers

http://motorcycletrailer.com/icb/

I would feel comfortable with ANY size cooler. Even a tool box. Something even heavier. The cooler slides in snug and won't move around. The bungee's I put on the sides just to be safe so it cannot slide sideways on a fast curve. The top one is so the lid doesn't pop open while travelling.

Wayne

So was in Menards and bought this for $14. Not settled on any one thing yet but it is solid and thought this might be good. I think all I have to do is drill a couple holes for the 3" wide square u-bolts for lumber I found. Remove the castors and I can put eyelets in it so bungees have a place to attach to.

What are your thoughts?

Thougths anyone? Even if you think it is a bad idea, let me know. Would rather hear someone say what are you thinking and why than to find out going down the highway.

Well you asked!!!

Personally I don't think that your going to be happy with the end result using the (I believe) furniture dolly. At least that's what it looks like. I think your gonna have to work pretty hard to make it look the way you want. But what do I know, you may be the craftsman of the year. Good luck.

If you ride thru any rain that will be a pain to clean up afterward , plus the fabric may hold moisture rotting the wood quickly over time. A friend of mine just went into walmarts kitchen center and bought some of the powder coated racking (similar to the bbq rack but heavier) and cut it to fit and installed.

Brian

Couple of great reasons why I asked.

Yes it is a furniture dolly. It was only $14 and figured buy it, take it home, and if it doesn't seem like it will work, return it (before I actually do anything to it).

Didn't think about the carpet holding moisture.

Looked at BBQ racks last night and pretty much found porcelein ones. Found some round racks, but not quite what I am looking for. I will check out the walmart racks.

Got one other idea too. I will post here again later to see what you guys think.

Jerry,

I think the dolly will work, at least temporarily. Another option is in the shelving department of your home improvement store. Some sell plated wire shelving by the foot. They will cut it for you.

Monty made his own from a piece of stainless sheet metal that he bent four sides up about an inch. It works great!

Still another option is to give me the dimensions you want and I'll build you an angle iron bracket. Later we can build a more permanent solution.

I saw this trailer on ebay and I am really interested in the cooler rack.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-Pull-Behind-Motorcycle-Trailer-Cargo-Tow-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19bd5eedffQQitemZ110551297535QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It is not the rack offered from the manufacturer of the trailer (from what i can determine). I've asked the seller if they sell the rack seperately or if they will tell me where I can buy one. All I've gotten is, "Sorry we don't sell the rack seperately." I've searched the Internet and found the trailer with the same rack but can't get an answer at all from anybody - even www.motorcycletrailer.com whom I've bought a trailer from.

This must be some cooler rack for it's details to be so top-secret.

Any ideas?????

I thought that rack was an option w/ those trailers. Hmmmm Guess not.

Oh btw. My other idea is an auto creeper. Take out the pad in the middle and you basically have a wide basket. Saw one at Menards for $18 that is the same brand as the furniture dolly. You might have to run some square tubing to have something to bolt to the trailer but I think it would work out pretty well too.

Here's an example http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/145514_lg.jpg

Edited by Sideoftheroad

I saw this from one of our members and thought it was rather cool idea! I will look through my saved threads and see if I can find him. As I remember he used an old floor grate and cleaned her up!

Love my rack but most find my trailer to big for their tastes!

Good luck!

I saw this from one of our members and thought it was rather cool idea! I will look through my saved threads and see if I can find him. As I remember he used an old floor grate and cleaned her up!

Love my rack but most find my trailer to big for their tastes!

Good luck!

How much tongue weight do you have with that configuration? Looks to be "plenty". Do you ride 2-up?

I do like the foot-scraper (if that is what it is) idea. Very solid.

Dave

Tongue weight is 45~55lbs. Have ridden 17,000 miles with her and I am quite happy with the performance of the trailer. On the trip up to Freebirds MD I averaged 41mpg and returning I averaged 39mpg which is about 3~4mpg below what I averaged without the trailer and my girlfriend!

If you are really interested you can view the following for the pro's and con's of my trailer.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39644

Still looking for the thread on the "foot scraper" I will post it if found!