I currently have an 07 blue / black Venture. I've been tossing around the idea of changing the color to Sunkist Orange. When I was a teen, one of my friends painted their Sportster that color.

Can the dash be painted on the Venture?

Craigr

I wonder if I'm reading the original question wrong here... you are talking about the plastic dash that surrounds the speedo, etc and the speaker covers, etc???

Yes,

I am thinking about painting the entire bike Sunkist Orange, but since the dash is sort of 'Marblized' I thought that maybe it was made out of some kind of Plastic that wouldn't hold paint very well.

I know it sounds like a dumb question. But, if I remember right, when I worked in a body shop in the late 70s, we would run into some plastics that either didn't hold paint too well or it wouldn't 'gloss up' very well or ???. So we always tried to avoid painting them. I know that it would be a pain to sand in the speaker areas, I always got stuck with the small areas like that, like the vents below the windshields on 60s era cars.

craigr

craigr

Yes,

I am thinking about painting the entire bike Sunkist Orange, but since the dash is sort of 'Marblized' I thought that maybe it was made out of some kind of Plastic that wouldn't hold paint very well.

I know it sounds like a dumb question. But, if I remember right, when I worked in a body shop in the late 70s, we would run into some plastics that either didn't hold paint too well or it wouldn't 'gloss up' very well or ???. So we always tried to avoid painting them. I know that it would be a pain to sand in the speaker areas, I always got stuck with the small areas like that, like the vents below the windshields on 60s era cars.

craigr

craigr

From my experience I don't see any issues repainting any parts on these scoots. As for sanding in the speaker vent area, use a "body shop quality" scuff pad to rough up the surface, clean the area real good with a good oil & grease remover (regular old paint thinner works well) and apply a coat of primer.

I doubt I would tackle the Actual Painting myself, I've been away too long and I want a VERY good job. I just don't know the latest paints & chemicals compared to the older stuff.

I may have to take the bike in to get an estimate on a good paint job, (I know it will be expensive).

Thanks

I doubt I would tackle the Actual Painting myself, I've been away too long and I want a VERY good job. I just don't know the latest paints & chemicals compared to the older stuff.

I may have to take the bike in to get an estimate on a good paint job, (I know it will be expensive).

Thanks

I hope you're gonna disassemble / reassemble all the parts for the painter otherwise you can figgure on triple the cost.

I had a body/paint shop back in the early 80's and have painted a few bikes and cars since. Always found the scuff pads very handy for those hard to get at places. If you've done this stuff before, you can do it again (except maybe the painting) ... the prep work is the most important as you probably know. Beware of over-the-counter "Wallmart type" spray can primers. They don't work so well with true automotive finishes. You can use spray can primers but use a high quality product made for the job such as SEM brand.

I currently have an 07 blue / black Venture. I've been tossing around the idea of changing the color to Sunkist Orange. When I was a teen, one of my friends painted their Sportster that color.

Can the dash be painted on the Venture?

Craigr

I have the wood grain insert from Yamaha on my dash and really likes the way it makes it stand out....

That really looks good against the black. I doubt it would look good against the blue.

I am thinking of painting the entire bike orange, not just the dash. I guess I should have been more specific.

OH, for some reason I was thinking you was talking about just the dash, but I do like the burnt orange color. And yes, the wood grain really brings out the dash on the Midnights.... :2cents:

:think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think:

Mork calling Orson, come in Orson....