I have a 08 RSTD and am only getting around 35 miles to the gallon now I believe I was getting alot better last year? Wondering what is the average folks are getting and what do you suggest? Before you say it already running SEAFOAM!

thanks

I have a 08 RSTD and am only getting around 35 miles to the gallon now I believe I was getting alot better last year? Wondering what is the average folks are getting and what do you suggest? Before you say it already running SEAFOAM!

thanks

I think you are right in the neighborhood. I usually get 35-38 mpg on mine.

you didn't say anything about your average speed or road conditions.

At 65mph on relatively flat highways with little stop and go and using the cruise control, I get 43+ mpg with either my RSTD or RSV. if riding faster, or doing a lot of accellerating in the twisties or stop and go, then mileage falls off.

I've also noticed that sometimes I'll get a bad tank of fuel that won't give the expected mileage.

At 60mph with non-EPA crap gas, I get in the 40s. They add stuff around here to promote clean air, and it kills my economy.

At 70mph, I get in the mid 30s.

At 80mph, I get low 30s.

With a headwind, add that to the mph and see what the mpg. For example, if I am doing 70 with a 10mph headwind, I get in the low 30s.

I reckon I average around 32-35. I ride fast, and again, we have polluted gas here.

Dave

I was getting about 37 freeway and 42 if I stayed 55 or below a couple years back,, now getting about 31-32 freeway and 38 at 55 or under. I did a carb sync, and they really were not off and used Seafoam, no real change. I think that they are in general pushing the allowed limit of ethanol in most gas now, and were not before.

dont know what im getting have not checked it yet but im getting twice as much as E-Fishing-c we both filled up in port heron mi. and he had to fill up in teledo ohio i still had over half a tank

aint that right Charlie!!!:rotf::stirthepot::rotf:

dray

dont know what im getting have not checked it yet but im getting twice as much as E-Fishing-c we both filled up in port heron mi. and he had to fill up in teledo ohio i still had over half a tank

aint that right Charlie!!!:rotf::stirthepot::rotf:

dray

Now I don't care what you think that there is funny!:rotfl::rotfl::rotf:

40 mpg riding hard on country roads. 32 miles to work, 45-50 minutes = avg speed +/- 35 to 40(Didn't calculate but close enough). with lots of hard take offs and 65-70 mph stretches. With ethanol or not - same mileage. Plugs and sync would be first guess but, could be different riding style this year too. Keep the RPM's up - stay out of 5th under 65mph.

my typical shift points for a normal ride are 1st to 2nd around 25-35mph. 2nd to 3rd around 45-60, 3rd to 4th around 60-70, 4th to 5th around 70-90. running hard - stretch it a little further for each. shift points will make a huge difference. The wife's wing trike - she gets 25, I get 31. and actually run it harder but lugging it kills the mileage.

When U buy a high performance motored bike like a Royal Star,don't expect good fuel milage unless U really baby it.96 hp & 98ft lbs of torque are pretty good numbers.My question to those quoting mid to high 40's fuel milage,have you corrected your speedometer?My guess is not.This bike really hates having the motor lugged and in fact most are unless a tach is used.That contributes to poor milage also as excess fuel is being dumped into the motor that can't be utilized.The very best milage I've gotten is 41 riding 2 lane roads under 55mph.The absolute worst was 26mph averaging 100mph into a headwind in Eastern Colorado.Of course,at that rate of consumption[15 minutes to the gallon],I had to refuel after an hour.That is also why I have an auxiliary fuel tank now.I got tired of having the Harley riders I go with complain about always having to stop for fuel on account of my rice burner.They all get far better milage than me;a '99 Dyna,avg 54;a '09 Road Glide,avg 58;and a highly modified '93 Fat Boy;avg 38.The Fat Boy also has an aftermarket 6 gallon fuel tank,so that with my combined 10 gallons of fuel,we both need fuel at about the same time.To conclude,fuel milage is not one of this bikes highlights,and whenever numbers out of the ordinary are tossed out as fact[anything over 40],I'm very suspicous of the circumstances.I'm not saying it's not possible to do,but one would really have to work at it,which is missing the whole point of riding motorcycles in the first place.Herb.

You know, we just got back from Orange Beach (I saw very few tar balls, and all the beach, water and rest of the area was beautiful) anyway...I noticed it seems my gas mileage was way worst than I remember it last year on the long trips. I had to swap to reserve as I past the 150 mile mark on the OD and GPS (I have a Speedo healer). The trip was a nice hot 672:scorched: miles and we did run 75-80 on the 4 lanes 2 up with my wife of 110 lbs on the back. WE basically had no cargo as the boy was following in the Jeep hauling most of the junk you need at the beach.

Last year when I made a one up, heavy loaded 1400 mile trip to the Smokies with my buddy that has the 06 ultra classic, I could run him out of fuel. I like to refill at about 150 just to be safe and he would sometimes run to the 180-200 miles before pullling in for fuel since he would get a fuel lite. My tank would take a little over 4 gallons to top off. He always beat me on mileage but I have a bigger tank. I might put .3 or .5 gallons more than him in my tank each fill up. That was not a problem. But this year seems Black Betty was sucking it down if I did not get much over 150 miles on a tank. Bike seemed to be pulling good so I do not suspect coil problems but I will check the temps on my headers to double check. I did not have another bike with me to compare the consumption with the speeds we traveled. I did not calculate the mileage since there are so many varibles...Gas pump accuracy and Speedo even with the Speedo healer, but the GPS and Speedo pretty close.

I will check the carb sync and I have a new set of plugs I had planned to install along with a change of the fuel filter...for we are headed back to the smokies around July 5th and maybe hit the Blue Ridge park way this time up into Virginia. We will see what happends. I figure it may be less than before running the two lane roads at lower speeds but we will be heavy loaded and 2 up this time. Wife would bring the kitchen sink and the ironing board if she could. :doh: I do not have a trailer or we would be hauling the bedroom suit with us also.

I will be looking at it close over the next month and will try give a good report of my findings.