IGNORED

RSV vs BMW, Goldwing, and Harley Direct Comparison

SledgeHammer

First let me say, that I have owned all of the motorcycles, but this is not my comparison nor my opinion. This a direct comparison done by Bikez at http://www.bikez.com/bike/rating.php?idbike=21089 . You simply put in the bikes that you want to compare and it gives you the statistics. As I own a 2005 RSV, I compared it directly to the 2005 BMW K1200LT, Honda Goldwing (ABS model), and Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide. I was shocked at the results. I will not list "Off Road Capabilities" or "Race Track", as neither is pertinent to any of these bikes. I am listing all of the other results, which you can verify by going to the site and comparing for yourself. The score is based on a 100 scale.

Overall Rating

1.RSV 79.4

2.BMW 74.7

3.Honda 76.1

4.Harley 71.9

Engine Performance

1.RSV 89.6

2.BMW 83.6

3.Honda 85.2

4.Harley 75.5

Reliability

1.RSV 90.5

2.BMW 84.0

3.Honda 87.2

4.Harley 82.7

Fun Factor

1.RSV 88.4

2.BMW 84.2

3.Honda 79.4

4.Harley 88.9 *The only time the RSV was not ranked highest

Value for the Money

1.RSV 89.5

2.BMW 70.3

3.Honda 76.9

4.Harley 70.9

Repair/Maintenance

1.RSV 89.8

2.BMW 68.9

3.Honda 72.5

4.Harley 60.7

Design and Look

1.RSV 95.0

2.BMW 84.5

3.Honda 82.7

4.Harley 93.6

Touring Capabilities

1.RSV 94.0

2.BMW 91.6

3.Honda 90.5

4.Harley 93.0

Accident Risk

1.RSV 88.6

2.BMW 88.5

3.Honda 85.4

4.Harley 82.4

Again, all of the categories and ratings were taken directly from their site. If Yamaha would add fuel injection and a reverse to the RSV, it could be the perfect bike. That is all that I miss from my Wing and BMW. The only thing I am missing from my Harley is the expensive repair bills, even when it was under warranty.

So what are your opinions of this comparison?

Not at all surprised. Those are the exact conclusions (not numbers) I came to when doing my own comparisons prior to making my purchase. I checked the web, demo'd when I could, and visited the various blogs and sites like this.

I went to the site link you provided and made the comparison to the '09's and most results were similar. The only bike close on touring and fun, etc was the Kaw 1700 Voyager.

:motorcycle:

Overall Rating

1.RSV 79.4

3.Honda 76.1 78.5

Engine Performance

1.RSV 89.6

3.Honda 85.2 94.1

Reliability

1.RSV 90.5

3.Honda 87.2 92.6

Fun Factor

1.RSV 88.4

3.Honda 79.4 86.0

Value for the Money

1.RSV 89.5

3.Honda 76.9 81.2

Repair/Maintenance

1.RSV 89.8

3.Honda 72.5 73.6

Design and Look

1.RSV 95.0

3.Honda 82.7 89.5

Touring Capabilities

1.RSV 94.0

3.Honda 90.5 93.7

Accident Risk

1.RSV 88.6

3.Honda 85.4 87.8

So what are your opinions of this comparison?

I just did the comparison between the RSV & the Goldwing (non ABS model) .... above are the numbers for the Wing (in RED) next to your findings.

I just did the comparison between the RSV & the Goldwing (non ABS model) .... above are the numbers for the Wing (in RED) next to your findings.

Repair/Maintenance

1.RSV 89.8

3.Honda 72.5 73.6

Those number surprised me. Are there reliability issues with the Goldwing?

Repair/Maintenance

1.RSV 89.8

3.Honda 72.5 73.6

I don't think so... it probably just costs more. Look at the Harley for example. It was the lowest which makes sense ... I mean, think of all the times a guy has to replace those parts that fell off...:witch_brew:

oh c'mon now guys... it's only in fun! Frankly, I'd have an Ultra if I could afford it.

first off the venture is on my list as one of the best looking bikes going. the wing is also very good looking. as far as performance no comparison the wing wins hands down, touring wise non will match a wing. most power best handliing,etc. the only fault i have found with the wing is lack of room for floor boards. if you have good knees and legs no problem. i have a ruptured lower disc, so it bothers my legs, so do all the sport tourers. the wing has been chosen the no. 1 tourer for many years by several mag's. i was thinking the other day about buying a new venture, cuz i really like the looks. i just could'nt trade the power and handling of my wing for looks. someday i may get down to one bike. the voyager and victory crossroads is at the top of the list. it would probably be the victory. i sure do like all of your ventures they are beautiful. i really liked my venturized rstd., and often times miss it. but in the real world the wing is the no.1 tourer. :stirthepot::2133:

Repair/Maintenance

1.RSV 89.8

3.Honda 72.5 73.6

no reliability issues that i know of. mine is so trouble free i often forget i have to change the oil. lots of wings out there with over 500 thousand miles. the only major issues with the 1800 wings was frame cracking on the early 1800 and alternator drive problems. those have both been well addressed and fixed by honda. they are a bear to work on, but you never have to work on them. :2133:

I think these numbers are generated by a drunk monkey pounding on a keyboard.

:grandpa:

I went to that site, keyed in the two bikes I wanted to compare and GENERATED the results.... now, some days I'm drunk, and somedays I like monkeying around ... but I don't think I'm a drunk monkey....:rasberry: :rotf:

I went to that site, keyed in the two bikes I wanted to compare and GENERATED the results.... now, some days I'm drunk, and somedays I like monkeying around ... but I don't think I'm a drunk monkey....:rasberry: :rotf:

Sounds like some one is in denial... Don't worry, we're here for you buddy.

What difference does all the numbers make. It all about what makes you happy when you sit on it and ride it. P.S. I'm talking about a motorcycle for those who have evil little minds.:whistling::Venture:

absolutely NOBODY on this site has evil little minds ....... they're all BIG ones :rotf:

Those numbers might help someone who is deciding what kind of bike to buy, especially if they haven't been riding long and/or owned very many bikes...have limited knowledge of bikes, etc. Just another "tool" a person can use when making those decisions.

One thing about that comparison is any numbers for 2010 bikes may be way off because how could they come up with anything close to accurate figures for such a short life-span.

What difference does all the numbers make. It all about what makes you happy when you sit on it and ride it. P.S. I'm talking about a motorcycle for those who have evil little minds.:whistling::Venture:

That about says it all. In several ways!!! I'll just keep my 1st Gen, stay happy and won't have to worry about it. And won't have those big payments every month!!

I should have compared and posted the Goldwing non-ABS model also. I used the ABS model because that was what I owned. The ABS model is more expensive, but apparently not necessarily better. I am not really surprised that the non-ABS Goldwing has better numbers. If you have a problem with the ABS, it can be expensive to repair. Those numbers are more in line with what I would have expected from the Honda Goldwing, but the RSV still stands up pretty good, even to those numbers. Especially, when you consider price and a design that is unchanged since 1999. I found all of the numbers fascinating, but my experience with BMW and Goldwing was very positive. This was not meant to be a bashing of any of the models listed. In fact, if Yamaha does not come out with a fuel injected RSV in the next couple of years, as much as I have enjoyed my RSV, I will probably end up on a Wing or K1200LT again.

Edited by SledgeHammer

I just did a comparison of MY bike against the RSV...let see now...

Overall Rating

1. 1 Ecks Bike
  2. 1.RSV 79.4
  3. 2.BMW 74.7
  4. 3.Honda 76.1
  5. 4.Harley 71.9

Engine Performance

1. 1 Ecks Bike
  2. 1.RSV 89.6
  3. 2.BMW 83.6
  4. 3.Honda 85.2
  5. 4.Harley 75.5