Hello all,

OK... It's Sat. and I'm about to start going through my new 1st gen VR (fluids, plugs, elec. system check, etc.)

I started looking her over last night and found a few minor concerns, just minor mechanical and cosmetic but am having trouble finding links etc. so I will put my initial queries in this post and see what shakes loose.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.

Mechanically for starters...

I noticed the shift shaft (shifter input shaft if you prefer) has got some play, checked a couple other bikes around (not VR's) and they are solid. Is this normal for 81K miles, or is there a fix for this? I know the seal needs replacing, that's no biggie but the play has me worried.

Leaking oil a little from top of lft rear cyl. appears to be cam cover gasket and half moon, any little oddities to beware of here?

Will there be any problem switching to full synth on the oil change, or any oil change tips from the masters?

Second... cosmetics:

The windscreen is "peeling"? and kinda yellow, is there a fix or is this a new windscreen?

Needs some odds and ends... side vent, reflector, etc. any good places to get these at a reasonable price?

Finally... I'm perplexed, I've seen pics of the '86 VR with and w/o a lower fairing piece or "scoop". Is there a good reason why some have them and some don't?

If possible... same as trim question, where can a guy find one at a reasonable price?

Thanks for reading and indulging an enthusiastic new owner! Look forward to hearing from you all.

Kelly

Hi Kelly and welcome to the site. Initial observations are:

Click on the search button along the top of the screen, input your train of thought or just look thru the 1st gen tech section for your answers, most all procedures are under there.

DON'T switch to synthetic oil. It will start leaking like a sieve! Gaskets are used to the dino oil and don't like the synthetic.

On the shifter shaft- there is a brass bushing where the shaft passes thru the side cover, that is probably where your play is coming from. You can order new or have one cut for you. Best place for parts so far is www.partshark.com Great prices and good service, complete parts diagrams on there. The lower case has to be removed foor the seal replacement, as there is a locating pin attached to the seal that precludesit being changed without splitting the cases.

You need new valve (cam) cover gaskets, and you might as well replace the bolt rubbers too while you have them out. Use the 2nd gen gaskets as they have a lip on them to help keep them in place whilst trying to weasel them back in place. Might want to read up on doing the valve shim adjustment also while you have the covers off.

Windshield- Just replace it

As far as replacement trim pieces, start a new thread here with what you're looking for, a lot of guys have stuff laying around they MIGHT want to get rid of, secondly go to ebay but check the pricing first, some things have a tendency to go extremely high.......

As far as the scoop, some have, some don't. Some say it blocks air getting to the bottom of the oil pan to help cool the oil and the front exhaust. I've got a chrome one I'm thinking about installing on my 84, still debating as to do it or not.

Lastly-- You have violated the first rule of our website which is PICS, PICS and MORE PICS of you and your bike!!!! We can't possibly put you thru the wringer without them!!!!

Good luck and ask away,

Dano

PS-- Pay the 12 bucks and join up! I just saved that much in anguish and hand-wringing!

Hey Kelly,

Dan covered the stuff pretty well so I'll just add this. I have an '84 VR. It did not have a lower chin when I got it. The MKI's had the metal ones, but I couldn't find on I liked the condition of. But while I was looking for a chin I installed the Rivco spin-on oil filter adaptor on the bike. Great improvement to look at down the road for ya. Now with that done I wanted to make sure the filter had some protection. The chin was the way to do it. I found one off an '86 and hooked it up. I like the looks of it and keeps the road debris from beating on the filter. I've ran in all kinds of temps and I can see no real change in the engine temps even when it's in the high 90's.

So be being you around.

:2BLUE:

Mike