IGNORED

Rich idle 3 & 4 Carbs prob. cont'd &...

Well, I thought I had this #3 & 4 rich idle issue figured out. I found a bad float needle @ #3. Replaced #3 & 4 needles. Set all floats again...to be sure. This did not fix the issues w/#3 or #4 posted elsewhere. ALSO to be sure my "choke" plungers were absolutely sealing, I used double springs. They were checked under mag glass. ANd I made sure the choke body was good at the seat. No change. Could it be the coasting enricher? And how does is work? And if it's bad ...what are the possible signs? Could this be my cause? Carbs are not foreign to me. But this is a pain....Any further idea or answer are appreciated.

Edited by jasonm.

I have the same problem. It was suggested to me that it could be a synch issue, which does make sense. I have tried syncing mine using the vinyl tubing with oil in it, I'm running better but not great. I have not pulled the plugs since then so I am not sure if that was the problem or not.

I have both a Morgan carb sync and an original YAMAHA mercury sync circa 1980. Believe me, my carbs are sync'd. Richness is rarely caused by a sync issue. So I guess I should have just asked. What are the symptoms of bad coasting enricheners?

Edited by jasonm.

I'm still digging on mine but I think this is where I'm going to end up. I've found a few things and probally going to find some more!!

What do you guys with New bikes do with all your spare time???:starz::bang head::bang head:

Would the choke plungers not seating all the way be a big thing Jason?? I can change parts pretty well but stay away from carbs when I can.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here I am. Finally able to breathe. Been working on these carbs for weeks. Got a spare set off Ebay. They were in good shape. I used the #3 & 4 bank w/new parts needed. Now my power is linear. Did 125 mile back road ONLY ride. Speeds of 45-70. My overall average was close to 55mph. So, I was using a lot of the pilot jet. Went and filled up at the end of the ride. I really tried to get in as much as I could in the tank by shaking the bike on the center stand...could only fit 2.9 gallons in. That's 43mpg in the hilly area I live in. Pretty damn good and close to what I always got for the past 20 years with this beast. NOW-Neither #3 nor 4 plugs are black. #3 is light brown spot on the tip and #4 is almost white, like 1 & 2. I have #3 pilot screw is 2 ccw turns out and #4 is 2.25 or so-ccw.Note: all settings using digital tach.

Prior to this latest carb work. I could not break 40mpg. Last remove / rebuild times, the float/fluid height was dead on and did not change. But still had it too rich somehow. NOW-Something just works better with these Ebay carbs. I know there is something I must have done wrong since the original carb rebuild a year ago. And #1 and 2 have never had an issue. As far as 3&4 problems, I am not entirely sure what the cause was or is on the originals. So my original set of 3 & 4 will just sit .I will be getting it EGA'd soon, to get this finished. I don't think #3 should be the only "brown" plug. But it's better than the black I had before.

Edited by jasonm.