IGNORED

97 RSTD Buying advice

I have been through alot of posts here and I am seriously thinking of picking up a RSTD or RSV. for the last several years I have been riding a Harley wide glide. I like it enough, but I am now in the market for something a little more comfortable. I have owned everything from Gold wings to sport bikes to on/off road bikes. I was considering buying a new Road King or Electra Glide, but they start out at 21 grand w/no extras. Seems a little expensive for what you get. So here is the situation I am in.

A Harley/Honda/Yamaha dealer an hour North of here has an 07 RSTD sitting on the floor with 22 miles on it. I put 15 of those on test driving it. I believe these sold new in 07 for around 14k and change. They have it marked down to 11,300 and I feel like they may come down a little more. The bike is a 3 year old "new" bike. How do you tell what it is worth?

I am also somewhat concerned that it will seem like a big bulky lumber wagon compared to my WG, but then it is a tourer. Has anybody here regretted trading in a WG or something similar and been bored with the RS?

I am attracted to the RSTD because it seems stable on the highway, has a nice big seat and backrest for my wife, and if I am alone i can take off the windshield and backrest real easily. I was shopping for a bike with EFI, but I am into 70's Hondas so multiple carbs and synchronization doesn't scare me too much. Also, a 5 year unlimited mile warranty doesn't hurt either.

I am also a big fan of customizing my bikes with pipes and chrome. It seems there are alot of options for RS's. Is that the case?

Thanks for taking a look at this post. Sorry I am all over the map with my questions.

Erik

i bought my rstd from Larsons cycle in Cambridge, and havent regretted it at all. Its an 08. I havent had a HD to compare it to, but as a touring bike it is nice. I do ride with HD's quite a bit, and they love the sound from it, but i do notice comparing at fuel stops, that I seem to always add about a 1/2 gallon more at each stop. But who cares about that. I have added a few goodies, but not a bunch. Put on some aftermarket pipes if you like some noise and have a blast. I do recomend a drivers backrest though, first thing i did. I wont ride without it now. Here is some pics

I have been through alot of posts here and I am seriously thinking of picking up a RSTD or RSV. for the last several years I have been riding a Harley wide glide. I like it enough, but I am now in the market for something a little more comfortable. I have owned everything from Gold wings to sport bikes to on/off road bikes. I was considering buying a new Road King or Electra Glide, but they start out at 21 grand w/no extras. Seems a little expensive for what you get. So here is the situation I am in.

A Harley/Honda/Yamaha dealer an hour North of here has an 07 RSTD sitting on the floor with 22 miles on it. I put 15 of those on test driving it. I believe these sold new in 07 for around 14k and change. They have it marked down to 11,300 and I feel like they may come down a little more. The bike is a 3 year old "new" bike. How do you tell what it is worth?

I am also somewhat concerned that it will seem like a big bulky lumber wagon compared to my WG, but then it is a tourer. Has anybody here regretted trading in a WG or something similar and been bored with the RS?

I am attracted to the RSTD because it seems stable on the highway, has a nice big seat and backrest for my wife, and if I am alone i can take off the windshield and backrest real easily. I was shopping for a bike with EFI, but I am into 70's Hondas so multiple carbs and synchronization doesn't scare me too much. Also, a 5 year unlimited mile warranty doesn't hurt either.

I am also a big fan of customizing my bikes with pipes and chrome. It seems there are alot of options for RS's. Is that the case?

Thanks for taking a look at this post. Sorry I am all over the map with my questions.

Erik

If you put on some leveling links, it will liven up the handling quite a bit. Also, if you don't ride with the windshield it feels much lighter. I rarely remove mine, but did this week and feels much sportier. I was looking for EFI as well, but these carbs are absolutely no problems. Carb sync's are simple and quick.

Erik

Just a thought if you havn't bought yet look around I found an 2008 RSTD brand new for $9999.00 plus tax and title.

Joe

If you put on some leveling links, it will liven up the handling quite a bit. Also, if you don't ride with the windshield it feels much lighter. I rarely remove mine, but did this week and feels much sportier. I was looking for EFI as well, but these carbs are absolutely no problems. Carb sync's are simple and quick.

With or without leveling links the stock tires are junk, and switching to better tires makes it feel much better, and switching the front from a 150 to a 130 makes the bike feel much more nimble. Oh, and the stock seat is hard.

I switched from a Kawasaki ZR7-S to a Venture. The Venture made the ZR feel like a dirt bike. I kept the ZR for over a year, but finally got rid of it when I realize I had only rode it three times and less than 200 miles in that year.

Just a thought if you havn't bought yet look around I found an 2008 RSTD brand new for $9999.00 plus tax and title.

Joe

That is super information. Out of curiousity where did you find that deal? After reading reviews and talking to some RS owners at a couple bike blessings this weekend I have decided to go for it. I am going to give the owner of the shop a call on Tuesday to see what we can work out. I read a couple head to head reviews with the HD RK and it seems people prefer the RSTD. As long as I don't take a bath on a trade I will be happy. Wish me luck, and if there is anymore information that you can give me that would be great.

Erik

That is super information. Out of curiousity where did you find that deal? After reading reviews and talking to some RS owners at a couple bike blessings this weekend I have decided to go for it. I am going to give the owner of the shop a call on Tuesday to see what we can work out. I read a couple head to head reviews with the HD RK and it seems people prefer the RSTD. As long as I don't take a bath on a trade I will be happy. Wish me luck, and if there is anymore information that you can give me that would be great.

Erik

I like the Royal Star, TD or Venture better than the comparable HD, but the RK is a pretty sweet bike. And as far as the head to head reviews, were they of an 09 or newer RK, as they had a major frame change in 09.

I like the Royal Star, TD or Venture better than the comparable HD, but the RK is a pretty sweet bike. And as far as the head to head reviews, were they of an 09 or newer RK, as they had a major frame change in 09.

No. They were 07's. I can't justify buying an 09 or newer when I can buy this 07 at this price. If I was to buy an HD it would have to be several years old for what I can spend.

Erik

I found this one in plymouth in.

Last one in stock.

• 1 year later...

I bought my 07 RSTD at Larson cycle inn Cambridge as well! I've added the Butler seat fix, luggage rack, Clearview shield, highway pegs and a back rest. Very comfortable bike at highway speeds but tippy in parking lot etc. I payed 13000 back in 08 for the new 07. The whine-chirp is a drag but you get used to it after awhile. I don't really notice it any more but friends who ride the bike always comment on the noise. A good set of ear plugs or some good tunes seems to help.

I've been looking at th 10 Kawi Voyager as a possible next bike. I would sell the RSTD and buy the Voyager for about 14000. Any thoughts??:lightbulb:

Erik

Sent you a PM.