IGNORED

"I" basket and back to Dino!

When I switched to Mobile1 20w-50 synthetic, I went from a whine (never had a chirp) to a scream. Dealer just switched my basket to an "I" and put me back on Yamaha lube 20w-50 (at my request) and I'm back to a gentle whine at a different pitch and almost no whine in 5th. I can actually hear my mufflers now. I had an "F" basket and according to Rick Butler I probably should have tried a "G" basket, but don't want to push my dealer too much. At the next oil change I'll probably go back to 10w-40, but no more synthetic for me. :witch_brew:

The manual calls for Yamalube 10w-30 or 20w-40 depending on the temp range you run in.

Yamalube doesn't come in either of those weights anymore.

If you read the web-site for Mobil 1 they state that their 20w-50 Motorcycle oil is specifically designed for air cooled twins, which don't have as tight a tolerances as liquid cooled engines and run hotter.

And from what I can determine, Yamalube use to be made by Citgo, not sure if it still is.

The manual calls for Yamalube 10w-30 or 20w-40 depending on the temp range you run in.

Yamalube doesn't come in either of those weights anymore.

If you read the web-site for Mobil 1 they state that their 20w-50 Motorcycle oil is specifically designed for air cooled twins, which don't have as tight a tolerances as liquid cooled engines and run hotter.

And from what I can determine, Yamalube use to be made by Citgo, not sure if it still is.

When I checked the specs for the 2011 Venture (no more RSTD) the acceptable oils ran the whole gauntlet of ranges and it's the same engine as my 2008 RSTD. When the service manager called Yamaha for the basket change they recommended the 20w-50 Yamalube which is Dino. I know that I had no problems using the 10w-40 before I tried the synthetic and it just didn't work for me. I'm learning as I go!

:cool10:

what is a f basket compared to a I basket and where do you buy them?

Mine was replaced under warranty which Yamaha willingly did. I expected a "G" basket on my 2008, but had the "F". Yamaha suggests the "I" for customers sensitive to the whine which is characteristic of all the Royal Stars. They state that the "I" won't cure the whine, but throws it into a different pitch which might not be as offensive to our ears. It worked for me.

I got my 06 back monday. They took the "g" basket out of it. The shop foreman talked like I could have it in 60 days or something. If so, your welcome to it. It was loud in mine. The "i" basket is quieter in mine, for sure.

I got my 06 back monday. They took the "g" basket out of it. The shop foreman talked like I could have it in 60 days or something. If so, your welcome to it. It was loud in mine. The "i" basket is quieter in mine, for sure.

Thanks for the offer! I'm surprised that your 06 had a later letter than my 08. Are you the original owner? Did you actually see the stamped "G" on the basket? Just curious.

Thanks for the offer! I'm surprised that your 06 had a later letter than my 08. Are you the original owner? Did you actually see the stamped "G" on the basket? Just curious.

I bought it new...After they took it out, I looked at it and it had the "g" on it. I was curious to what it had in it. I didn't see the one going into it, but the part number on the invoice matched what others had posted as the "i" basket.

For any of you with an F or G basket who want to try to quiet your chirp, I have an H basket that came out of mine when I put my I basket in. I had never heard of an H basket before, but it makes sense that if there is a G and an I, there should also be an H!

Maybe it will help someone.

When I checked the specs for the 2011 Venture (no more RSTD) the acceptable oils ran the whole gauntlet of ranges and it's the same engine as my 2008 RSTD. When the service manager called Yamaha for the basket change they recommended the 20w-50 Yamalube which is Dino. I know that I had no problems using the 10w-40 before I tried the synthetic and it just didn't work for me. I'm learning as I go!

:cool10:

One problem I find with following their recommendation, is that in 40 years of riding, I have yet to find a (insert any Japanese brand here) dealer, shop mechanic, or factory rep that actually knew what they were suppose to know about virtually and model of bike they sold.

All I have to do to get rid of my whine is get on my MM. My 2001 whines like a baby. You know how at first the baby crying doesn't bother you. You just go over and check on him/her. Then after a while and you can't figure out what the babies crying about the crying starts to get on your nerves. Well the same thing with my 2001. Not bad but the longer it goes the more it gets on your nerves. I don't know what basket a 2001 has and it is not bad enough to fork out the money for an "I" basket since there is no guarantee it will eliminate the whine. But if either of you want to get rid of the "G" or "H" basket for a real reasonable price then I'm your man. Just let me know.

All I have to do to get rid of my whine is get on my MM. My 2001 whines like a baby. You know how at first the baby crying doesn't bother you. You just go over and check on him/her. Then after a while and you can't figure out what the babies crying about the crying starts to get on your nerves. Well the same thing with my 2001. Not bad but the longer it goes the more it gets on your nerves. I don't know what basket a 2001 has and it is not bad enough to fork out the money for an "I" basket since there is no guarantee it will eliminate the whine. But if either of you want to get rid of the "G" or "H" basket for a real reasonable price then I'm your man. Just let me know.

The H basket that I have is yours for the shipping cost. If you want to PM your address to me I can look up the cost and see what we're talking.

Joe