IGNORED

Looking to buy a mid '80's Venture

damnbiker

Hi all

I'm new here and am looking to replace my '85 Goldwing with a new touring machine. I've been riding for about 16 years and usually pack on about 20,000 kms a year, spreading it out over my CBR929 and my Goldwing. I'm more of a sport bike rider but bought my Goldwing almost three years ago, mostly as an experiment off of ebay (my first ebay vehicle purchase as well as my first touring bike). Obviously it turned out well but now that my cheap-o Wing needs some expensive repairs I have to decide what makes the most sense financially. The wing only cost me about $3200 to put on the road and I've packed 40,000 km on it in less than three years so I don't really think it owes me anything.

I was hoping to get some advice from you fine folks. I have found a few mid 80's Ventures in my area, a coupke of 84's with reasonable mileage on them (one has 62000 kms) for around $2500. I have also found an '86 with only 22000 km on it for $3800.

I've been doing some reading upof the subject and found that 2nd gear is an issue with the MKI models. Was this sorted out with the MKII models? Are there any other things I should be looking for?

Is the extra cost of the MKII worth it? I have read that there is more power and more luggage space in the 1300, anything other significant changes that I should know about?

I would also appreciate it if you could give me a "laundry list" of things to look out for on both models.

Thanks in advance

- Sean

Edited by damnbiker
sMixed up Gen 1 and 2 with MKI and II

Having had both '85 (1200cc) and '87 (1300cc) , if I was ever to go looking for another Gen1, I would try and find a MKI (83-85) in primo condition and with 2nd gear fixed. That's how my '85 was and that bike was awesome in every way.

One thing I am always skeptical about is low mileage 1st gen's simply because the ODO doesn't read past 99,999 therefore, if ya find one that has, let's say 22,000 km (or miles) on it, can one be absolutely certain that it is, in fact that and not 122,000? I know that many of these bikes are very well taken care of and one with 122,000 could look just as good (and maybe even better) than one with 22,000. Further, a bike that old with that low of mileage could actually be more troubles than one with 122,000 (IMHO) Personally, I would be looking for another '85 with anywhere between 60 and 100 thou KILOMETERS coz I'd know it has been somewhat regularly ridden and most likely 2nd gear was fixed as they're known to wear out somewhere before that kind of mileage...(but I'd still want to verify that it had been fixed).

(just my $0.05 cents which will soon become $0.07 once the HST comes in)

Good luck with your search and impending purchase. These bikes are awesome!