IGNORED

Stalled and sweaty, why?

I worked on my bike these past few days, and got it ready last night to ride to work today. I started her up and let her idle as I put on helmet and gloves, and put down the garage door. I eased down the driveway, not wanting to wake the cul-de-sac by roaring off. As I approached the intersection, I let off the throttle to listen for popping. (One of the things I did was to re-install the pipes since a faulty joint was a suspect on my popping on decel issue)

As I turned and accelerated, she began to hesitate as if out of gas. I know she has gas since I had taken the tank off and had to heft it back. I switched from reserve where I normally run to main, with no help. Finally, she stalled and wouldn't start.

I pushed her home, and man am I sweaty! We had fog, so you know it was Houston Humid.

I've found she'll start and rough idle with full choke. Try to blip the throttle and she dies. Take off the choke, and she dies.

Over the weekend, I took off the tank and side panels. I installed Powerlets on the left side plastic panel where the passenger floorboards mount.

Is there something I forgot to hook up? I think I hear a knock when the fuel pump is energized, but not the knock knock knock that happens if she is off for a while.

Ideas?

Dave

My guess is that when you removed the tank you disturbed something that caused dirt to block the fuel line. Check your bowls, bleed them out and then see if the pump will run, and how it runs. If it runs normal, then see how clean the bowls are again. If it doesn't run normal, change the fuel filter.

It certainly sounds like a fuel difficulty. Did you reconnect the vent hose at the front of the tank when you reinstalled the tank? Is the vent hose pinched somewhere?

If you have 2 keys, open the tank and see if it will start and run. If so, you have a vent problem.

The only other thing I can think of is you loosened some junk in the tank while moving it around and it is now clogging the fuel filter. Might be a good time to change that out.

Good luck and please let us know what you find.

RR

Dave, If you want we can come check the pump for you. I have an aftermarket pump on mine. We can install one for you. If you go to Yammi dealer, they'll have to order it to the tune of $200+. The Mr. Gasket pump is available at most Auto Parts stores for around $40.00.

Ponch

Dave, If you want we can come check the pump for you. I have an aftermarket pump on mine. We can install one for you. If you go to Yammi dealer, they'll have to order it to the tune of $200+. The Mr. Gasket pump is available at most Auto Parts stores for around $40.00.

Ponch

I appreciate that Ponch. It seems the plurality here suspect the fuel pump (thanks All!). I wonder if it might be a blocked fuel line. I am intrigued by the vacuum hose comment. I was a little rushed putting on the tank, and noted the hose wasn't clear as it usually is. I pulled it out, but I am not sure it isn't pinched.

I also note that the trailer light hookup is right above the fuel pump. Perhaps the connector, sitting next to the battery, has slid down and pinched the fuel line? I didn't have the right connectors to connect the Powerlets to the fuse box, so I used the battery connectors that they came with, intending to get new connectors later. I wonder if they have squirmed down to push the trailer connector onto the fuel line? Is that possible?

Assuming that checking those lines doesn't solve the problem, the next easiest thing to check is the fuel pump. How would I do that? After that, I guess it is the dreaded fuel filter. Are those available outside the dealership?

Dave

I doubt if the electrics are affected by the trailer hitch wiring and the fuel filter is tucked in pretty tight, so I wouldn't think the hose to be kinked.

We need to pull the fuel pump discharge hose loose from the system and see if there's any pressure.

Mine sounded like it was working, but wouldn't pump. Need to pull the tank again and pull the hose where it hooks up to the carbs. Could be when the tank is removed, we'll see something wrong.

Can we come over Thursday evening?

I doubt if the electrics are affected by the trailer hitch wiring and the fuel filter is tucked in pretty tight, so I wouldn't think the hose to be kinked.

We need to pull the fuel pump discharge hose loose from the system and see if there's any pressure.

Mine sounded like it was working, but wouldn't pump. Need to pull the tank again and pull the hose where it hooks up to the carbs. Could be when the tank is removed, we'll see something wrong.

Can we come over Thursday evening?

Thursday is great, assuming I don't fix it tonight! I have your wiring crimpers too.

Thanks!

Dave

If it does turn out to be the fuel pump, that ought to be covered under the warranty...

Great thought! Although, going to the stealership opens unwanted cans of worms. "Oh, towing a trailer...?" "what are all these wires under the seat?" etc etc

warranty... That never occurred to me. I know you're leaving this weekend, but if they have one in stock, let them fix it. If not, or if you don't want to wait.....

I am really hoping it is not the fuel pump. I'd like to make sure it is before I take it in. Because if it is the filter or something, they'll charge me diagnosis time for something I can fix myself, better than they can.

Dave

Great thought! Although, going to the stealership opens unwanted cans of worms. "Oh, towing a trailer...?" "what are all these wires under the seat?" etc etc

I am really hoping it is not the fuel pump. I'd like to make sure it is before I take it in. Because if it is the filter or something, they'll charge me diagnosis time for something I can fix myself, better than they can.

Dave

Good call on making sure it IS the fuel pump before you pay some bozo 80/hr to tell you to replace the fuel filter. Actually, I know you've got quite a few miles on your bike, it may be time for the fuel filter anyways. How many miles do you have on your current one?

I'd say if you are 10k or more on the current one, you may as well just go ahead and replace it.

As far as your concern about them fussing about the trailering and extra wiring - the only thing I could see as a possible legitimate arguement would be if you managed to short out the fuel pump by your extra gizmos - which I think would be difficult to do unless you crossed some wires somewhere (and even at that, it would take some doing to screw it up).

Regardless, it sounds like you are on a good track to diagnosing whatever the issue may be.

Enjoy the humidity!!

:080402gudl_prv:

Good call on making sure it IS the fuel pump before you pay some bozo 80/hr to tell you to replace the fuel filter. Actually, I know you've got quite a few miles on your bike, it may be time for the fuel filter anyways. How many miles do you have on your current one?

I'd say if you are 10k or more on the current one, you may as well just go ahead and replace it.

As far as your concern about them fussing about the trailering and extra wiring - the only thing I could see as a possible legitimate arguement would be if you managed to short out the fuel pump by your extra gizmos - which I think would be difficult to do unless you crossed some wires somewhere (and even at that, it would take some doing to screw it up).

Regardless, it sounds like you are on a good track to diagnosing whatever the issue may be.

Enjoy the humidity!!

I probably have way more than 10K on the fuel filter, depending on whether the dealer replaced it as indicated on the maintenance schedule. I try to pretend the dealer did nothing as a defensive measure.

Is there a source for the filter besides the dealer?

As far as the gizmos, the hairiest wiring was done by Squidley. I'm pretty sure he knows what he is doing. I'm almost sure of it. :innocent:

Dave

As far as the gizmos, the hairiest wiring was done by Squidley. I'm pretty sure he knows what he is doing. I'm almost sure of it. :innocent:

hahaha keep telling yourself that....it won`t sting as bad....LOL Just kidding..`ol Cupcake Boy knows his stuff...

I probably have way more than 10K on the fuel filter, depending on whether the dealer replaced it as indicated on the maintenance schedule. I try to pretend the dealer did nothing as a defensive measure.

Is there a source for the filter besides the dealer?

Dave

Boy,I would be going to different dealer. mine does not charge for diagnostic work, bike is under warrenty.

if it is the fuel filter they will tell me and i would authorize them to replace, just because they did the diagnostics. keeps them happy.

but i agree you should determine if you did not connect air hose properly or pinched it.

if the fuel filter has not been replaced at all in 4 years, you need to replace anyway.

Boy,I would be going to different dealer. mine does not charge for diagnostic work, bike is under warrenty.

if it is the fuel filter they will tell me and i would authorize them to replace, just because they did the diagnostics. keeps them happy.

but i agree you should determine if you did not connect air hose properly or pinched it.

if the fuel filter has not been replaced at all in 4 years, you need to replace anyway.

Hmmm, I see the manual stipulates that the fuel filter be changed every 20,000 miles. I did it myself last year, and I am close to 40,000 miles now. It's probably time.

The first thing I'm gonna try is running it with the fuel cap off, to see if it is the vent hose. Supah easy.

Dave

I would suggest try bypassing the filter for a few minutes, if you don't have a spare to install. And if that doesn't make any difference, try bypassing the fuel pump. The way I understand it, the bike will run pretty well without the fuel pump. May not have its full acceleration.I have read where people have continued trips without too much trouble bypassing bad fuel pumps until they could find a shop with one.

I would suggest try bypassing the filter for a few minutes, if you don't have a spare to install. And if that doesn't make any difference, try bypassing the fuel pump. The way I understand it, the bike will run pretty well without the fuel pump. May not have its full acceleration.I have read where people have continued trips without too much trouble bypassing bad fuel pumps until they could find a shop with one.

To bypass these things, I can just use a double ended connector? Sounds like the sort of thing one should carry on a long trip.

Dave

If you bypass the fuel pump itself I am pretty sure you won't be able to use all of the fuel in your tank. If I recall correctly, 'Seaking' as well as a few others that have had their pump fail, one of the symptoms was that they could go as long as they had a reasonably full tank then the bike would just die.

But yea, once you give it a go without the fuel cap on, that ought to give some more info as to what else to look at.

To bypass these things, I can just use a double ended connector? Sounds like the sort of thing one should carry on a long trip.

Dave

Since the fuel filter itself is rather small, one would probably be better off just keeping a spare in your tool kit.

But to answer your question, all you need to be able to do is connect two hoses together - so yes, a double ended connector [with clamps] would likely do the trick.

Since the fuel filter itself is rather small, one would probably be better off just keeping a spare in your tool kit.

But to answer your question, all you need to be able to do is connect two hoses together - so yes, a double ended connector [with clamps] would likely do the trick.

I was thinking more about bypassing the fuel pump in a pinch. :rotfl:

As far as the gas cap, a big part of me hopes that the elves stopped by while I was at work and undid the work the gremlins accomplished.

Dave

I was thinking more about bypassing the fuel pump in a pinch. :rotfl:

As far as the gas cap, a big part of me hopes that the elves stopped by while I was at work and undid the work the gremlins accomplished.

Dave

Lol - okay so I guess I could have separated my thoughts a little more clearly than I did in that post, sorry.

I do maintain that all you need to do is connect the two ends of the hoses together ('in' and 'out' with respect to the fuel pump) and I don't see why a double-end type connector wouldn't work as an in-line type patch.