IGNORED

Help - Carburetor Diaphragms needed

Hello all.

Hoping someone can help me.

Up here in Coldwater Ontario Canada (yes, I do know Dick Shrivels from Coldwater- haha), I have been experiencing progressively worsening fuel mileage, backfiring on deceleration, etc.

So, when I had some service done before, by the supposed 5 Star dealer in Midland Ontario (not to name names but if you recall the nursery rhyme about the name of a boy and a girl who "went up the hill to fetch a pail of water), they apparently put the caps on too tight & not straight or something, wrinkling 2 of the carb diphragms and the needle almost sitting sideways (so I am told). Apparently the diaphragms are backordered from yamaha canada until June 6. I have called around to several dealers and they do not have any in stock.

I stopped going to that dealer and went to another shop that their service manager went to. He was getting his parts from a Yamaha dealer in Barrie who supposedly told them the parts would be in yesterday, then today, until...hmmm, not until June 6.

Any of our US brother or sister venture riders able to get your hands on 2 diaphragms? Part number 5DM-14940-00-00

Are there any compatible aftermarket versions?

The diphragms are supposedly not torn, but they are wrinkled. They are putting the bike backtogether so I can use it and day that the performance & fuel economy will be much better but I will need them replaced.

This is supposed to be my anniversary weekend motorcycle ride with my wife leaving yesterday with plans to ride around Lake Michigan - but we are now 27 hours behind schedule and the bike will be ready 2 hours from now. She has taken two days vacation and pissed off...good times!

Thanks for your help in advance. My email is trevor.storey@rogers.com and goes to my blackberry if anyone has any information or leads that can help me out.

Thanks

If the diaphragms don't have any holes in them and are just creased, try boiling them in water for 15 mins or so. They should flatten out again. One of the big problems when installing the diaphragms is they don't stay in the groove when the cover is placed back on. One of the members... sorry can't remember who... of VR suggested to block the slide with a screwdriver so it doesn't get pushed in when placing the cover back on.... it works... The rubber lip will stay in the goove. Best suggestion since sliced bread... :thumbsup2:

• 3 weeks later...
Trevor,

Check your email, lets hope they can help you out. What date driving around Lake Michigan? I can advise or join you in N.W. Michigan for some local knowledge of some great roads and what to stay away from.

:happy34:

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to check my emails and messages until...well, now, between work and the trip.

Due to my bike not being ready for when I was hoping - due to being f*&^%'ed around by parts suppliers, we had to alter the trip. My new shop says the diaphragms were creased and folded up. They managed to straighten them out enough to help the problems. It was still a good ride, leaving the Orillia Ontario area, stopping in at Port Huron for the night, then up to Sault Ste. Marie Ontario for the night and home again. About 1600km for the 3 days.

I did manage to find the part in the US. They were all backordered from Yamaha Canada until June 6. I got them from Cheap Cycle Parts.

If anyone needs these carburetor diphragms, fyi, they are not easy-to-come-by. Like I said, backordered for about 3-4 weeks in Canada and only 5 available in the US according to the guy at CCP.

Thanks to all for the replies and help. Sorry I didn't get back to you all more proptly.

Trevor Storey

Coldwater, ON:fireman::Venture:

Trevor,

Check your email, lets hope they can help you out. What date driving around Lake Michigan? I can advise or join you in N.W. Michigan for some local knowledge of some great roads and what to stay away from.

:happy34:

Sorry, never got message until after we were back.

Thanks anyways and I will keep you in mind for another trip.

:fireman::Venture:

If the diaphragms don't have any holes in them and are just creased, try boiling them in water for 15 mins or so. They should flatten out again. One of the big problems when installing the diaphragms is they don't stay in the groove when the cover is placed back on. One of the members... sorry can't remember who... of VR suggested to block the slide with a screwdriver so it doesn't get pushed in when placing the cover back on.... it works... The rubber lip will stay in the goove. Best suggestion since sliced bread... :thumbsup2:

Got the message after thae new ones came in....greatly appreciated though.

:fireman::Venture: