IGNORED

Stebel Air Horn question/discovery...

I have my Stebel horn mounted where it is advised at the stock horn location on my 97RSTD. I have lost 2 horns due to mount failer. The mounts are my own as the first one was aluminum L bracket. The 2nd was a chrome steel L bracket.They both cracked and failed at about 1500 miles of hi speed driving. Has any one had this problem? I will buy the mount system that I see sold on this sight.My question is how can be sure to secure the horn.Vibration seems to be a major problem.

Maybe I should look for a new location to mount it.

If you do decide to buy my bracket I will guarantee that it'll last the life of your bike. No cracking or breakage with my stainless steel bracket or a full refund.

Seriously I've had my bracket for over 4 yrs now and it still looks like the day I put it on. There is some slight rust on the under side as I don't polish that side but that has no effect on strength of the bracket.

Larry

I have my Stebel horn mounted where it is advised at the stock horn location on my 97RSTD. I have lost 2 horns due to mount failer. The mounts are my own as the first one was aluminum L bracket. The 2nd was a chrome steel L bracket.They both cracked and failed at about 1500 miles of hi speed driving. Has any one had this problem? I will buy the mount system that I see sold on this sight.My question is how can be sure to secure the horn.Vibration seems to be a major problem.

Maybe I should look for a new location to mount it.

I have several k miles on my bracket I bought from this site ... Still looks new. No cracks. Even with my carbs being out of whack for most of the time .... This bracket didn't move a bit and shows no sign of wear (I have not checked the underside )

Good bracket. Good service.

+1 on the Carbon One bracket. Mounts up right like a factory unit, fits solidly and works great! Definitely a "must have" with the Steibel horn. And you WILL LOVE the way it sounds!:thumbsup2:

I used Carbon Ones mount bracket and it was great for my first Stebel. Ponch hooked me up with a mounting for a second Stebel Horn. Ponch mounted it under the bike right next to the filter. Ponch drilled and tapped a hole into the base just to the right of the filter and he had a bracket that allows the horn to fit up under the bike and be just below the filter. You muct remove the mounting bolt when you want to change oil but boy is 2 STEBERS BETTER THAN ONE!!!!!! Scares the heck outta people when they try to pull over on me.

Thanks again Ponch....once again he comes through.

As an alternate location.....here's where I installed mine...

[ATTACH]49339[/ATTACH]

I have found this to be a much better mounting location for my needs (leg length challenged). When I mounted the horn in the recommended right-side factory horn location, my right leg would hit the body of the horn. This added angle, along with the 1" added saddle height from the new leveling links, made the difference between my right foot touching the ground flat-footed or toe-down. I moved the horn to the position shown in your photo and I can sit flat-footed and comfortable again. Note that I did use the Carbon One wiring harness, but needed to splice extensions onto the two wires that connect to the existing horn (switch) connections. I just used a piece of aluminum bar purchased at the local Lowe's for the mounting bracket, and attached it to the rearward passenger footrest mount screw. Very secure, out of the way, looks good and works great.

• 4 weeks later...
If you do decide to buy my bracket I will guarantee that it'll last the life of your bike. No cracking or breakage with my stainless steel bracket or a full refund.

Seriously I've had my bracket for over 4 yrs now and it still looks like the day I put it on. There is some slight rust on the under side as I don't polish that side but that has no effect on strength of the bracket.

Larry

Carbonone, I bought one of your mounts and wiring harness a while back and it worked GREAT! I sold my RSTD and bought a Road star midnight silverado. Now I want to install another Sebel air Horn. I was wondering if you could make a wiring harness for it. It just needs to be longer because the horn is mounted on the left of the bike in front of the floor board. Do you think you could help me out!

Thanks

Mark

Starkruzn

Carbonone, I bought one of your mounts and wiring harness a while back and it worked GREAT! I sold my RSTD and bought a Road star midnight silverado. Now I want to install another Sebel air Horn. I was wondering if you could make a wiring harness for it. It just needs to be longer because the horn is mounted on the left of the bike in front of the floor board. Do you think you could help me out!

Thanks

Mark

Starkruzn

PM sent

Well, the width of a Nut and lock washer was enough to shim it out and fit.

Just looks a bit ugly.. kind of disgraces that shiny little bracket holding it on..

See pic.

I'll have to come up with something to cover that or a different Shim.

I wonder why the Carbon One bracket is a perfect fit for some people but not for others..

is it the Wolo (which is supposed to be identical to Stebel)

or is it the RSTD vrs Venture

or is it the 1st Gen vrs 2nd Gen

or is it the phase of the moon

But man is it loud!

I mounted my relay under the side cover just to the left so the original horn wires reach straight to the relay - fits real nicely.

The Stebel comes with a plastic shim that kicks it out that extra 1/2 in. which is all you need to clear everything. I don't think the Wolo has that shim but a little ingenuity will suffice. I'm installing a 2nd Stebel inside the left lower where the other POS stock horn resides. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW???? Brian

I just used a piece of aluminum bar purchased at the local Lowe's for the mounting bracket, and attached it to the rearward passenger footrest mount screw. Very secure, out of the way, looks good and works great.

That's exactly how I mounted mine... in fact, I posted pics of this ...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41530&highlight=stebel