IGNORED

Seating the top bushing on forks after seal change

I just replaced the fork seals, bushings and added progressive springs to my 88 Venture. I used the instructions from the Forum (Freebird) and got the parts from Buckeye Performance (Great person to deal with and excelent parts) everything went fine except when it came to seating the top bushing. If you have the same problem try this.

Take a 3 inch piece to (1 1/2) PVC and cut one end so that it is at a 90 to the side. Then half the piece so that you can put it arround the fork tube with just the bushing below it. Then just use it like a slide hammer. This worked very well for me but remember not to try this on the seal!

I wish I could say that there was a big improvement with the progressive springs but I can not realy tell because I never rode a venture before doing this upgrade. The one very big improvement is that the bike does not look like it will fall over when the side stand is down now and I can easily put it on the center stand now. Before I put the springs in I could lock the front brake and bottom out the springs I can not do that now.

Harbor Freight has a set of sockets that has all the allens that you need for doing the seals and it does have the 17mm in the kit the cost is about $15

Edited by etohio
tool

Those Progressives may seem a little harsh when you first ride it. The stockers in mine were shot and I did the rebuild on the forks and installed the new springs. They raised the front quite a bit and had no more problems with the front end diving and bottoming out. I run mine with no pressure at all on the front solo. Maybe five pounds double up with gear.

But they seemed awful stiff for a while. After about a 1,000 miles they felt like they broke in and rode a lot smoother. Add on an upgrade fork brace and the front end will be as good as it can get.

Yah! Good idea with the PVC. A (semi) local member has a complete setup for rebuilding the forks, and he has this metal collar that slides on and you just sort of bounce it on the seals to get them to seat. Sort of reminded me of the strong man thingies at the amusement parks where you hit the lever with a mallet and the thingie slides up the pole and rings the bell...