I have a question about the low fuel light on my 96 RSTD. When I bought the bike the Low Fuel light was on all the time. After removing the tank I found that the wires to the sending unit were not routed right and had been pinched. I cut back the covering and spliced new wires in and rerouted them under the rear tank mount (where they were suposed to be) and the light went out. Now my question is, "When should the low fuel warning light come on?" I have run the bike down into reserve a couple of times and never saw the light come on. When I hit reserve I have around 1 gal of gas left based on the pump and gas milage. I would like to know when I should see the light without tempting fate while in reserve. :178:

I have a question about the low fuel light on my 96 RSTD. When I bought the bike the Low Fuel light was on all the time. After removing the tank I found that the wires to the sending unit were not routed right and had been pinched. I cut back the covering and spliced new wires in and rerouted them under the rear tank mount (where they were suposed to be) and the light went out. Now my question is, "When should the low fuel warning light come on?" I have run the bike down into reserve a couple of times and never saw the light come on. When I hit reserve I have around 1 gal of gas left based on the pump and gas milage. I would like to know when I should see the light without tempting fate while in reserve. :178:

On my 2001 RSV the low fuel light comes on prior to having to switch to reserve tank and about the same time the odometer reading changes to the fuel count up. (or whatever that's called?)

Mine generally comes on about 20 miles before I find myself hitting reserve. Then I figure I have about another 20 miles before I run out of gas.

Since I'm getting around 42 miles to the gallon and have almost a gallon left when I get to reserve your numbers and mine don't add up:starz: I'm thinking about running down to reserve near home and then draining the rest of the tank until the light comes on (if it does). I can then fill it up and know how much was left when the light came on.:178:

Since I'm getting around 42 miles to the gallon and have almost a gallon left when I get to reserve your numbers and mine don't add up:starz: I'm thinking about running down to reserve near home and then draining the rest of the tank until the light comes on (if it does). I can then fill it up and know how much was left when the light came on.:178:

From what I recall, our tanks are 4.9 gal. My idiot light comes on like pegscrapper's, and I ride till start hearing fuel starvation then switch to reserve. Wish I could find a real gauge that gives true reading. BTW, how the heck are you getting 42 MPG :confused24: I'm lucky to get 30 below 65mph, and goes down to 25 at 80 :stickpoke:

BTW, how the heck are you getting 42 MPG :confused24: I'm lucky to get 30 below 65mph, and goes down to 25 at 80 :stickpoke:

Just lucky I guess:thumbsup2: I haven't done much long distance riding yet, but around town I fill up at around 150 miles and it take @ 3.6 gal to fill up. That comes out to 41.6666 mpg. My low fuel light doesn't come on before I get to reserve. So my sending unit might have gone bad when the wires were pinched.:scratchchin:

My light comes on like the rest. about 20 to 30 miles before next stop on the gas station.

About the mileage, I got close to 34 mpg, but I'm ready to change sparks, air filter and the rubber boots on the carbs that looks craked from outside. May be air is going in the cylinder for that.

I hear from other drivers said that they get 44 mpg. That 's what I used to get on my 1984 VR. Never on the RS!!!

Regards,

calperin

I have know idea when the plugs or air cleaner were changed last. I do know that the air cleaner needs to be replaced (with a K&N) soon. I did notice that my intake boots are also cracked on the outside. As a temporary fix I brushed them with liquid electrical tape. I didn't notice any differnce in the way the engine ran but they do look better. :thumbsup:

TO: you're right on going with the K&N airfilter:D. Put one in as soon as possible, cleaned it once at 25k and now at 49.9K just re-oiled it. With ethanol in the gas (even 10%) drying carb boots, the K&N oil keeps the rubber supple. :thumbsup2:

mine use to come on right after i went to reserve. i haven't seen it come on in a while but my wife is always worring about running out so we fill up when we get a little over a hundred miles. just slow riding i have gotten 175 miles on a tank before having to fill up, i got 37 miles onit after switching to reserve. have you punched some small holes in the fill tube just below the tank top? it'll let you fill about a qt more but you need to take off pretty quick as if the gas expands and it starts coming out of the overflow tube. just fill up a couple of 20 oz coke bottles and carry them with you and run it out. you can pull the sending unit out and check to see if it's operating ok, and you can adjust it to read right if you have times to play with it. when ever you go to reserve you should have about a gallon left, so you should be able to go the amount of the current mpg you're getting. i have ran the high octane racing fuel and got 54mpg and it'll run a lot faster than 87 octane. there's a couple of statons around that sells it but it's about 3x the price, BUT IT'S WORTH IT TO FEEL THE POWER!!

OK Guys......I've been out of town for a few days so when I got back I took my bike out for a ride. I filled the tank up and reset my trip meter. After 117 miles I stopped and filled up again. I could only get 2.26 gallons in the tank! That's 51mpg! I took mostly back roads with an average of @ 50mph. There were some streaches of 65 to 70 but mostly around 55mph. I'm not sure why my mileage is so much different, but I'm not complaining

I was going to do a major tune-up, however, I've always lived by the moto.....If it ain't broke, don't fix it! (I still haven't figured out when or if my low fuel light comes on. If this keeps up I may not need to know.)

:thumbsup: