IGNORED

Valve noise on a 08 Rstd with less than 1000 miles

live2ridejp

I recently just purchased a 2008 Rstd that was brand new left over with no miles on it.

I drove it back from Arkansas to ohio which was about 800 miles and dumped the oil and

put Aims oil in it. Immediately i noticed i tick noise when the motor was cold and when it warmed it didnt notice it as much. So took it to a local Yamaha dealer and he heard it as well and notified his rep. and they answered him that the covers around the motor enhance the motor noise sound. They took notice and wrote it down as a complaint of mine but thats as far as i got. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do beyond this?

I know that manual says 26,000 miles valve adjustment is needed but i dont want to

pay for an adjustment if i have too? any suggestions or thoughts about this?

you have 5 yrs warranty on it incase it gets worse, they already docamented it, so you are covered. i ran yama-lube in mine till i had 4,000 miles and then went to mobil 1 syn oil and haven't had any problems for 70,000 miles. there has been a few bikes that has had some engine problems but yammie has taken care of them from what i know. sometimes when i wear my full face helmet i can hear motor noises a lot louder, but never had any trouble. relaxs and try to enjoy your bike, i think it will be OK, don.

:dancefool::big-grin-emoticon:

I noticed some "valve train" noise on mine when I got it too... it had 1300 kilometers on it. It has since quieted down a lot and I think it's due to the fact that the engine is now broken in (21,000 km's) and that I'm using Rotella T 15w40 dyno oil. I did try different oils including synthetics (Amsoil, Mobil 1) and found varying results. I'm also running some MotorKote with the oil.

My point being, and as I was told by a dealer, they do have some valve train noise, mostly coming from the cam chain & tensioner but it does get quieter as the engine breaks in so, have a little patience and ride it.

Mine doesn't bother me at all now but at first it did a lot mostly because I was comparing it to my '87 which was very quiet.

My '07 RSV has had the "tick" since I bought it with 1 mile on it (28,000+ miles ago). I've used Yamaha oil, Amsoil and Mobil 1 and the tick has remained. It fades away after the bike is fully warmed up though.