No I don't mean road rage or Anti-Government speech.

I just changed out my Final drive (aka pumpkin) to a set of V-max gears from Sportmax. Its been raining since I finished so I haven't had a chance for a test ride. But one thing that I have noticed is that the new Pumpkin seems to have about twice the backlash as the factory gears. When I ordered the part I did ask John, the owner of Sportmax, about the backlash and he stated that it would be set to factory spec. I felt like my factory set had a little to much, wasn't sure thought. Now I know that there are several parts of the drive train that contribute to the total amout backlash, and too little backlash is a recipe for problems (heat, gearwear, gearwhine and owner whine). So here's my questions to those who know?

1 - Can you measure the total amount of lash at the tire? ie Mark the tire tread, in gear, measure the total free play.

2 - If so how much free play should there be? Mine measure about two inches with the V-max setup.

3 - Could my factory set of gears been too tight and causing some of the gear whine? I have had the clutch basket changed once with no real good results.

I should add that John at Sportmax was very nice and went out of his way to get me the parts quickly. So far he gets an A+ for service.

2008 RSV, I changed my user cp once, maybe it'll stick this time.

This is going to be an apples to oranges comparison then.

I have a 2004 FJR rear end, very similar to Vmax rear end.

1988 engine.

I measured right at 1 3/4" at outer edge of rear tire, with bike up on center stand.

Gary

This is going to be an apples to oranges comparison then.

I have a 2004 FJR rear end, very similar to Vmax rear end.

1988 engine.

I measured right at 1 3/4" at outer edge of rear tire, with bike up on center stand.

Gary

You should pick a one Gear to check that Amount.

This "total" Backlash is different in each Gear.

1 3/4" was in 2nd gear

Closer to 2" in 1st gear

Gary