IGNORED

Windy oil dripper

Okay here is my problem, I drive the scoot to work and on windy days as the bike just sets there in its parking space, I get little oil splatters on the downwind side of the bike, on the ground, about two feet from all the drain tubes hanging down under the shock. Now I know that if you over fill the crankcase with oil it drips out the tubes but I can honestly say its right where it should be, stand the bike up and the oil comes to about a half way up the sightglass. I park in the garage at home and there are no drips on the floor there. I am confused---does the wind create a vaccumm across the tubes when it sets outside and pull engine oil out? Yes I know, its only little drips ignore it, but we just built a brand new facility and the concrete is brand new. It's making me look bad next to the Fat Bob rider! Any ideas how to stop it? :bang head:

Your oil level is fine as long as it shows any air bubble above the oil with the bike straight up. The sight window has a full mark near the top, and in my experience, anything at or below this mark will not cause excess venting from the crank case breather. If you ever did have it too full, then there is a lot of oil coating the inside of the vent tubes and the air plenum that will slowly work its way out the drain tubes over time. One contributing factor is that the drain tubes have check valves that prevent the carbs from sucking air in that way, but those valves make it even harder for all the oil coating the inside of things to work its way down.

I hadn't thought about it before, but it does seem possible that a strong wind blowing across the drain tubes would create a vacuum that might pull residual oil out. That should be easy to check by just taking two clothes pins or spring clips with you and pinching the bottom of the drain tubes shut when you park. You will need to look closely at the tubes to know for sure which are the drain tubes from the air plenums (the ones with oil and crap around the opening). There are four tubes there, two from the air plenums, one from the tank overflow, and one from the coolant overflow. Good luck,

Goose