Hi,

Perhaps I have gone blind but, I have looked in the various XVZ1x schematics I have and that are available here on VR.org and I am not finding info on how the dashboard gear indicator works.

What I'd like to know is how does the indicator on the OEM dashboard know what gear the bike is in? What is the connection between whatever is sensing the gear in the transmission and the dashboard display? Ultimately, I'd like to know right down to wire colours and plug pin connections. I hope I am describing this clearly.

Can anyone illuminate me on this, or point me to where it is shown in the schematics.

Thanks,

Brian H.

Edited by 6m459
oops, left out a detail

The neutral switch on the royals has 6 positions.

Look in lower left corner of schematic linked to below.

http://www.venturerider.org/wiring/84-85%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale%20DL%20Wiring%20Diagram%20Rev%20C.pdf

Also, thread below is a way to add gear position with a non-royale display.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40639

Gary

Hi,

Perhaps I have gone blind but, I have looked in the various XVZ1x schematics I have and that are available here on VR.org and I am not finding info on how the dashboard gear indicator works.

What I'd like to know is how does the indicator on the OEM dashboard know what gear the bike is in? What is the connection between whatever is sensing the gear in the transmission and the dashboard display? Ultimately, I'd like to know right down to wire colours and plug pin connections. I hope I am describing this clearly.

Can anyone illuminate me on this, or point me to where it is shown in the schematics.

Thanks,

Brian H.

I just had a new gear indicator switch put in my 85. you can get at it behind the middle gear cover by your left foot, but you need a long screwdriver to do it.

My indicator switch had cracks in it, was sweating a bit of oil, and when it got hot decided not to show me the gear I was in.

Brian