IGNORED

getting rid of old tires

pegscraper

If this isn't a poor man's tip, I don't know what is. I read on another motorcycle forum about this method that someone uses to get rid of old motorcycle tires, one that I doubt anyone here would see. He takes a postage paid return envelope from an unsolicited credit card offer, tapes it to the tire, and takes it to the post office. Postage and tire disposal expenses paid by the credit card company. To read that discussion, it sounds like he's serious. It doesn't sound like a joke. How hilarious. :rotf: I'll be asking my postmaster if this can really be done.

My trash pick here in Seattle, will take " One " old tire, each week at the normal pick up time.

They will take more, but then add extra charge.

Another thought: Try takeing them to the place where you buy your car and truck tires.

As a service to you, and to keep you as a good customer, I am sure they would take a couple of extra MC tires, and throw them on their pile of old recycle.

Just a thought.

If this isn't a poor man's tip, I don't know what is. I read on another motorcycle forum about this method that someone uses to get rid of old motorcycle tires, one that I doubt anyone here would see. He takes a postage paid return envelope from an unsolicited credit card offer, tapes it to the tire, and takes it to the post office. Postage and tire disposal expenses paid by the credit card company. To read that discussion, it sounds like he's serious. It doesn't sound like a joke. How hilarious. :rotf: I'll be asking my postmaster if this can really be done.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:i hope and wish it works , i would like to see the look on the person's face when they got it :rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I Liiiiiiiiiike It!!!

I, too, get tired of all the things that come with pre-paid envelopes. I have been known to take a 10 or 15 pound rock from my creek and leave it in a box with the envelope taped to next to my mailbox. It's always gone after the mailman has been here! :confused24:

I'm gonna try the tire idea, that's even better than the rock; I've got a couple of tires to get rid of!!! :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Thanks for the input!

My trash pick here in Seattle, will take " One " old tire, each week at the normal pick up time.

They will take more, but then add extra charge.

Another thought: Try taking them to the place where you buy your car and truck tires.

As a service to you, and to keep you as a good customer, I am sure they would take a couple of extra MC tires, and throw them on their pile of old recycle.

Just a thought.

Yeah, but what's the fun in that?? I haven't asked my postmaster about it yet, but if I can really do this, I'll ask to keep my old tires next time I get new ones just so I can do this.

I'd like to hear the postmaster's response. I've been told that if they (the cc company) can trace it back to you (look at the envelope and make sure that there is no bar code or other id on it) they can file postal fraud charges against you. I don't know if that's true, but I want to know.....

Joe

I hear you. I'll ask about that too. The thing is, the guy who originally posted this where I read it said that he will purposefully put his return address on the envelopes hoping that the CC company will take his name off of their list. He says that hasn't worked so far, but also says that he has never gotten any tires back nor heard anything else about it either. If this were to actually catch on, I'm sure they would try to do something about it. It must not be a big enough problem for them yet.

I asked my local postmaster about this today. He got a good, long chuckle out of the idea. He said it won't work though. He said that the arrangements between the CC companies and the USPS is that whatever is sent back to them has to fit inside the envelope. Anything that doesn't fit in them he can't take. Too bad. I really liked the idea.

I asked my local postmaster about this today. He got a good, long chuckle out of the idea. He said it won't work though. He said that the arrangements between the CC companies and the USPS is that whatever is sent back to them has to fit inside the envelope. Anything that doesn't fit in them he can't take. Too bad. I really liked the idea.

I have heard a variation of this that WILL work. Just save up all of your cc offers for a month or so. Then open them all, shuffle up all of the papers, and randomly fill the return envelopes up with papers from other cc companies. Then mail them back. Make sure to remove any documents that have your name on them though. This way the cc companies still have to pay the postage on all that stuff going back to them.

I just seal the empty envlope and send it.

They have to pay the same postage weather it is full or empty.

But the person who openes them and reads it or enters it into the computer, may enjoy a dirty gym sock. Maybe a printed joke. How about a pizza crust or a good dried fish as they might be hungry........

The main point of this was to have a cheap way to get rid of old tires. Annoying the CC companies and costing them money was a side line. Stuffing their envelopes with scrap papers and sending them back requires more effort than I care to expend on them. Junk mail doesn't bother me much. It takes only a second for it to land in the burn barrel. Junk phone calls on the other hand...

I'm not to sure about that, I have been known to put a rock in a box, tape the envelope to it and leave it by my mailbox. It has always disappeared after my mailman was here!

I may try the tire idea and see if it disappears too!

I just seal the empty envlope and send it.

They have to pay the same postage weather it is full or empty.

But the person who openes them and reads it or enters it into the computer, may enjoy a dirty gym sock. Maybe a printed joke. How about a pizza crust or a good dried fish as they might be hungry........

I think they pay by the weight so the more weight you get in it, the more it costs.

I do like the fish idea though!!!

Go ahead and try a tire. I'd like to hear whether it disappears or not. I really don't think my local postmaster is BSing me. I know him fairly well. In fact, up to this summer, he owned an '86 Venture, had it for many years. Most any day with good weather it could be seen behind the post office.

I say your mail carrier is either ignorant and didn't know he wasn't supposed to accept a package like that or else he didn't pay any attention to what he was picking up. Once the post office has it and they find that they can't deliver it and there's no return address, they'll have to get rid of it at what is basically public expense. A rock they'll just toss out back, but a tire will cost them money.