IGNORED

engine temp n hesitation upon starting

somedudenamedev

when i go to start my 86 vr.....i hit the starter, it gives a half turn of the motor, hesitates for a sec then vrooom....its running.....always does it.....never leaves me stranded. any ideas why?

also......my temp guage runs higher than i like to see it. never overheats but whats normal? there r no numbers to see actual temp. ????

thanks!

Tons of threads on both subjects.

The starting thing could be one or more of many things. More info may be needed to get closer to what is causing it. Like does it do this when it is warmed up and you have been riding for a bit...

The temp thing can be normal. Sometimes not looking at the guage is the best idea, lol. The best suggestion I ever got was just put a piece of tape over the guage. It is not overheating so you are good.

But seriously, more information would be helpful and burn up that search feature.

OK, I could be wrong here, but I think I read somewhere that when a wire gets hot the resistence increases. Dirty connections will also cause this. On an undersized starter cable this may be the reason for the hesitation. Get with LoneStarMedic and ask him about the starter cable mod.

The stock 6 guage cables do not seem to be quite enough when they get to be 20+ years old. The cable mod, bumped to 4 guage, coupled with an AGM battery will make a suprising difference when you tap that starter button. Then there is a mod in the starter as well where additional grounding is added. Lonestarmedic is the cable guy. Great guy to deal with too.

Guest Swifty
The stock 6 guage cables do not seem to be quite enough when they get to be 20+ years old. The cable mod, bumped to 4 guage, coupled with an AGM battery will make a suprising difference when you tap that starter button. Then there is a mod in the starter as well where additional grounding is added. Lonestarmedic is the cable guy. Great guy to deal with too.

I was ONE guy herein chasing this problem too.

New battery didn't solve it.

Upgraded cables didn't solve it, (much to Squidley's chagrin):confused24:

Rebuilding the starter didn't solve it.

Installing a VMax starter solved it.

As for the temp issue, I followed the cable guy's suggestion and put in the automotive equivalent thermostat...he was good to me on that one.

Lone Star Medic.:smile5: The hidden key here is Lone Star. The Lone Star State would be Texas.:draming::whistling:

what state do i have to click on to find lonestarmedic?

about putting in the automotive equavilant of a thermostadt....how does a person cross reference that one?

what state do i have to click on to find lonestarmedic?

about putting in the automotive equavilant of a thermostadt....how does a person cross reference that one?

I just replaced the thermostat in my 1983 bike with a automotive style unit.

Murray Plus+, P/N 3758, I bought it at O'Reilly parts store.

www.oreillyauto.com

This was a 180 degree unit.

It came with a rubber ring around flange that needed to be removed to fit into housing, otherwise it was a perfect fit.

Price was $4.99.

mo%20money.gif

Gary