I am trying to remove the saddle bags on this 1st Generation. Do I use the ignition key for the locks to remove it? They work to open the bigs but don't seem to work to get the bags off the bike? Any suggestions. I'm sure asking a lot of questions on this bike!

Yes the ignition key should unlock them from the bike if not.

You can remove the locks from in the opened bags from the in side of the bags.

You can take them to a locksmith and he can key them to your ignition key.

Hop this helps

Yes, the ignition key will generally unlock the bag for removal unless the locks have been replaced at one time or another. If the key rotates it's the right key. Every once in a while, due to dirt, the 'lock wedge' will not retract enough to release the bag. In this case, with the key turned to the unlock position, take a long skinny screwdriver, get in there, and lift the wedge out of the way Once the bag is free slap it toward the rear of the bike and it should release. After getting the bag off clean and lube as neccessary. Use a graphite lube on the lock.

My 85 uses one key for everything, but it was a little cruddy in the lock area when I got my bike. it took a little work but I got them off and then lubed the locks and assy.

I would try to shoot a little wd40 in or a penetrating oil into the lock and see id that helps.

But maybe a PO had to change your locks? The factory setup is one key fits all.

Brian