IGNORED

What Model RSTD do I have?

Hi guys, this my first post but I have been using your site to help me find an RSTD to buy. Well on Feb 28th I found a deal to good to pass up and took the plunge. I found a 1996 Royal Star but I'm not sure if it is a Tour Deluxe or a Boulevard. The maintenance manual I found online told me to look under the seat for an ID plate. There isn't one. So how do I know what model it is?

:Venture:

Welcome aboard from another '96 owner.

Technically, calling it an RSTD isn't correct. There wasn't a Tour Deluxe or a Boulevard either one in '96. Those models came in later years. The models available in '96 were a Standard and a Tour Classic. The Standard was bare bones. The Tour Classic came with a windshield and semi-hard side bags and maybe another odd small thing or two.

I like the '96s for some reason. Let's see some pics. Pics of your ride is the only real rule we have around here.

My own bike came as a Standard model to which a lot has been added.

I think I would call yours a Standard. Those aren't the windshield and bags that Y put on the TC. The bags are larger and the windshield has a much larger chrome trim piece across the front. Y offers one like that, but the shape looks different. I could be wrong, but I think that one is aftermarket. Your bike has the standard seats on it. The TC came with wider and supposedly softer seats. Also, the TC usually had a Tour Classic emblem on each side of the front fender. I say usually because there was some variation on that by year and I don't know all the details of it. Obviously it doesn't take much to accessorize a Standard and make it more useful. I couldn't have a bike without side bags on it.

The bags are not quick disconnect on the newer models. The passenger's backrest is, and it seems like maybe the windshield is too. Quick disconnect might be nice, but then you have to worry about someone walking off with the stuff. I heard a tale from my local dealer about that happening to someone in town here. That stuff is expensive to replace. I'm just as happy to have mine anchored down.

The placement of the ignition key was under the back of the seat, left hand side on 1996 and 1997. It was moved forward and under the left front side of the tank on 1998 through 2001.

It is very common that people get confused if these 96/97 bikes are Tour Classics or standards. In 1996 Yamaha introduced all these accessories to add to your bike so many Standard bikes have been accessorised later and taken the look of the Tour Classic. Yours looks like a standard with lot of accessories and aftermarket addies.

A beautiful bike - Congratulations. Like Lynn "Pegscraper" I really like these older Royal Stars.

Thanks guys. As with any car, bike or anything else that we disacuss. The more you look the muddier the water gets. As far as I can tell the Sissy bar, windshield, bags and other accessories are all Yamaha parts. Weather they came on the bike or were added after the fact we may never know. I have found out by researchin the VIN that the bike is an XVZ13A. I think that covers the standard and Tour Classic for most basic parts on the 96. By the way my key is behind the seat.

As for your thoughts about quick release on,,, windshield.

I've had my 06 RSTD for 2+ years. Once when I washed it I took it for a 60+mph ride without the winshield. That's all I needed.

I'm convinced,,, I have no need to ride at speed without it.

So, no loss to me if it's not a quick removal. It's staying on.

If you ride regular without, that might be an issue. If you normally ride with a windshield,

"Forget about it".

i hate to rain on ya'll parade but mine is a 2001 model and has the switch behind the right side of the seat! it's a boulivard model. i also have a 96 strd and a 97 tcI that has the switch behind the seat! so those that mean i don't have an 01 but a 96 or 97?? maybe i need to sue yamaha and lakehill motors for selling me a 96 or 97 as a 2001 model?? the first pic is my 01 blvd with large slant bags off a 98 tcII and second is of my 97 tcI(papa dan's old bike) which you see on the fender and has the key switch behind the seat. as i know all the tcII and td's had the switch up front because of the bags being in the way to get to it easyly. not 1000% sure of that but most i've seen has had it there.

Edited by tazmocycle

i hate to rain on ya'll parade but mine is a 2001 model and has the switch behind the right side of the seat! it's a boulivard model. i also have a 96 strd and a 97 tcI that has the switch behind the seat! so those that mean i don't have an 01 but a 96 or 97?? maybe i need to sue yamaha and lakehill motors for selling me a 96 or 97 as a 2001 model?? the first pic is my 01 blvd with large slant bags off a 98 tcII and second is of my 97 tcI(papa dan's old bike) which you see on the fender and has the key switch behind the seat. as i know all the tcII and td's had the switch up front because of the bags being in the way to get to it easyly. not 1000% sure of that but most i've seen has had it there.

The owner's manual that came with my '98 RSTC II shows the ignition switch;

XVZ13A (standard) on the right side behind the seat

XVZ13AT (Tour Classic) on the left side under the front of the fuel tank

Mine is a 97 RSTD and the ignition is in front of the tank on the left side of the frame.

How tall is that windshield??????????????????????????????????????????

I'm not sure how you measure the windshield, but my line of sight is about 3 inches below the top. It's like the one you see on the state trooper HD's. I have considered cuting it down but I can't afford to replace it if I don't like it shorter.