IGNORED

Info from Mustang seats... RSV in development!

I had emailed Mustang some months ago to ask about a seat for our 2nd Gen RSV's. What I got back had a tone to it of "we don't offer it and don't want to so don't bother us". Today I got the following email from them...

"Venture Owners,

Mustang management has decided to offer replacement seats for the Yamaha Venture to answer the demands of our customers. The decision was made only a short time ago, and only one prototype seat has been tried so far. We are still refining the seat and hope to start production before Summer 2010.

There will be four separate seats offered. All will be two-person, one-piece seats. Two with chrome studs, two plain, two with built-in driver backrests and two without.

We are not yet making seats and are not taking advanced orders for Venture seats. You have received this message because you have asked about Venture seats in the past. You will continue to receive periodic updates from this office whenever new information becomes available. We are not attaching any pictures of the one prototype seat at this time because that design is being changed. As soon as any pictures are made available, you will receive them.

Thanks for your interest in our products and for your patience as we develop a comfortable touring seat for your bike.

Ike

Customer Service"

SWEEET! I'm pretty happy with my pillow top as it is, but will be interested in seeing Mustang's offiering. :D

I should point out that I had no problems with comfort on the 1k Bun Burner this past sumer.

Edited by Wanderer
add text

I had emailed Mustang some months ago to ask about a seat for our 2nd Gen RSV's. What I got back had a tone to it of "we don't offer it and don't want to so don't bother us". Today I got the following email from them...

"Venture Owners,

Mustang management has decided to offer replacement seats for the Yamaha Venture to answer the demands of our customers. The decision was made only a short time ago, and only one prototype seat has been tried so far. We are still refining the seat and hope to start production before Summer 2010.

There will be four separate seats offered. All will be two-person, one-piece seats. Two with chrome studs, two plain, two with built-in driver backrests and two without.

We are not yet making seats and are not taking advanced orders for Venture seats. You have received this message because you have asked about Venture seats in the past. You will continue to receive periodic updates from this office whenever new information becomes available. We are not attaching any pictures of the one prototype seat at this time because that design is being changed. As soon as any pictures are made available, you will receive them.

Thanks for your interest in our products and for your patience as we develop a comfortable touring seat for your bike.

Ike

Customer Service"

Strange??? I emailed Mustang about 3 months ago asking them if they were coming out with a seat for the venture. Their answer was No we are not coming out with a seat for the Venture and we have no plans to make one in the future. I certainly hope they were covering something up when they emailed me that reply. I would love to see a Mustang seat for the Venture.:mo money::fingers-crossed-emo

Had one on my VTX. No plans to buy another one. Way too stiff for me even after several thousand miles so it was plenty broke in. Always read mixed reviews on the Mustangs, even worse on the Corbins. Never read a bad review about an Ultimate seat. Right now stocker is plenty comfy for me. I am going on a big trip in July so we shall see how well it holds up. Does pretty well riding around the state.

Not trying to get in your business, but you owe it to yourself to sit on a seat that Rick Butler has worked over before spending the big bucks. But then, it ain't my money.

I'd have to agree here.. I have two Butler seats (pillow and other type) and it was money WELL spent and a lot cheaper than a Mustang seat.

Now this isn't to knock Mustang seats, oh no.. I had one on my 1100 VStar and it saved my assets on loooong rides.. But man I miss that seat.. Would it be the same comfort on my RSV as it was on the VStar? No idea.. I won't need one as my assets are covered twice over by two Butler seats ; )

But curious to know if the Mustangs for the RSV will live up to expectations..

w00t

Alright I did a little craigslisting and here is how it is going down. I am buying a front seat that someone took off to put a corbin on. I will get ahold of Rick and have is sent straight to him. then if the next guy want you can paypal me for my seat and I will send it to rick for you.

You know guys,

There is not one seat out there OEM or aftermarket that will work for everyone. And even though the Mustang seat is a good seat option (especially for the passenger of a RSTD) I have reworked many of them in the past two years. In fact in the last month I've reworked 2 complete sets. And in my opinion the driver is a very short seat and the first change I make to a one is to open up the back of the seat to provide a little more room to the rider. However their seat pan is designed such that they really limit the amount I can remove from the foundation foam to accomplish this. The next thing I do is to remove the flat surface and put some curvature (and a tailbone relief) to the bottom to better fit the butt. This where I feel Mike Corbin has the advantage with his seats that they do fit the butt. But they just won't budge on their foam density options which is also affected by their leather covers, which makes them feel hard. This is also where I feel adding a layer of memory foam has a better effect, where it reduces pressure points and conforms nicely to the shape that sits on it.

But I will have admit that I've learned much more about seat technology from reworking your various seats for the past two years, than when I started this venture (no pun intended). And even though I've reworked 3 Corbins, this is not a seat that lends itself to any change and I've decided not to ever rework another.....for the benefit of my friends with Corbin seats. The leather cover on these seats just seems to have a mind of its own as to how it wants to lay?

Hope this helps this conversation,

Rick

You know guys,

There is not one seat out there OEM or aftermarket that will work for everyone. And even though the Mustang seat is a good seat option (especially for the passenger of a RSTD) I have reworked many of them in the past two years. In fact in the last month I've reworked 2 complete sets. And in my opinion the driver is a very short seat and the first change I make to a one is to open up the back of the seat to provide a little more room to the rider. However their seat pan is designed such that they really limit the amount I can remove from the foundation foam to accomplish this. The next thing I do is to remove the flat surface and put some curvature (and a tailbone relief) to the bottom to better fit the butt. This where I feel Mike Corbin has the advantage with his seats that they do fit the butt. But they just won't budge on their foam density options which is also affected by their leather covers, which makes them feel hard. This is also where I feel adding a layer of memory foam has a better effect, where it reduces pressure points and conforms nicely to the shape that sits on it.

But I will have admit that I've learned much more about seat technology from reworking your various seats for the past two years, than when I started this venture (no pun intended). And even though I've reworked 3 Corbins, this is not a seat that lends itself to any change and I've decided not to ever rework another.....for the benefit of my friends with Corbin seats. The leather cover on these seats just seems to have a mind of its own as to how it wants to lay?

Hope this helps this conversation,

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for weighing in on this thread. I have been planning to send my seat off to you, but now after reading this I'm not sure. The seat I have on my 2001 RSV has the Yamaha Star on it with no Corbin markings, but I've been told by others (Squidly, Gunboat) that it was made by Corbin for Yamaha. It does look almost exactly like the RSV seat on the Corbin website. So am I understanding from your post that you can't do anything to this seat to make it any better? The seat is firm and supportive, but just too darned hard, especially the passenger seat. Since we started riding with other VentureRiders this year my wife has been eying those pillow tops with envy and I've been saying as good as they look they're really not any better. Maybe I'm wrong. If you can't do anything with mine, then I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start looking for a replacement.

Alright I did a little craigslisting and here is how it is going down. I am buying a front seat that someone took off to put a corbin on. I will get ahold of Rick and have is sent straight to him. then if the next guy want you can paypal me for my seat and I will send it to rick for you.

Depending on Rick's answer to my other post, I might be interested in something like this, although I will need to replace my entire seat, not just the front.

Rick,

Thanks for weighing in on this thread. I have been planning to send my seat off to you, but now after reading this I'm not sure. The seat I have on my 2001 RSV has the Yamaha Star on it with no Corbin markings, but I've been told by others (Squidly, Gunboat) that it was made by Corbin for Yamaha. It does look almost exactly like the RSV seat on the Corbin website. So am I understanding from your post that you can't do anything to this seat to make it any better? The seat is firm and supportive, but just too darned hard, especially the passenger seat. Since we started riding with other VentureRiders this year my wife has been eying those pillow tops with envy and I've been saying as good as they look they're really not any better. Maybe I'm wrong. If you can't do anything with mine, then I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start looking for a replacement.

The pillow top is the finest seat I have ever sat. The wife and I have no discomfort riding day long trips of up, with her, 700 miles. As I stated before I have also done the Bun Burner 1K with no discomfort. However; as Rick pointed out every one's a$$ is a little different.

;)

Rick,

Hi Yamaman,

I'll through in my :2cents: worth. I had the old seat on my MM the one that came on the Midnight Venture until 2007. I bought a used Corbin and I love that seat. I had Rick redo my original seat and he did a great job. I can't thank him enough. It is so much better. I purchased a 2001 that came with pillow top seats. Man I'm in heaven now. I just don't see how any seat can be more comfortable the the pillow top unless I send it off to Rick and have him redo my pillow top. So I have all three seats and the pillow top is my favorite. The Corbin is the best looking. I hope this helps.

Yeah David,

Your Star seat is a Corbin. The issue of my reworking a Corbin is more cosmetic than functional. I reworked the driver section of Scott Robertson's Corbin and I felt that I made it a better riding seat. But like I said, the leather cover had a mind of it's own on how it wanted to lay when I put the cover back on, where there was a pucker in the cover that I couldn't resolve no matter what I did. And this was the exact condition with the 2 other Corbins I reworked where the pucker went away when you sat on it but came back when you got off of it. I haven't heard back from Scott recently but maybe he will respond on this issue.

But the pillow top seat is one of my better successes where after I reshape the 2 main pressure points of this seat, I replace the 1" of standard foam with an exact copy of 1.5" of memory foam. And from what I have seen from pillow tops is that over time, the standard pillow foam really starts to break down and flatten out to almost nothing. And I don't any evidence yet, but I feel the memory may never break down. So if I was riding a stock pillow seat, I'd let Rick rework it just so I'd know that I was riding a seat that was as good as it could be for an OEM seat. And I'm completely unbiased when I say this. And the pillow driver is really a big round bisquit with a pillow cover, so I feel my mod really helps out where I not only reshape the flat bottom, but also narrow the front of the seat to relieve any pressure on the inside of the passenger thighs.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Edited by Rick Butler

Not trying to get in your business, but you owe it to yourself to sit on a seat that Rick Butler has worked over before spending the big bucks. But then, it ain't my money.:mo money:

My sentiment exactly!! After having my seat done by Rick I would not think of trying anything else or spending the bucks on it !!

When ya come off the scoot after an 800 mile day and it feels like a 15 minute ride you better believe that seat mod is the right move....

Boomer.....who sez when Momma and yer posterior is happy there's no such thing as a bad riding day. My apologies to the pygmies in New Guinea fer that....