IGNORED

"Helmetless" Headsets

Bobby G

Thanks guys. You pretty much confirmed what I suspected, but there just aren't many affordable options for half-helmet riders who want to use the comm system on the RSV. I think what I'll do is get one set for myself and try to make some "comfort adjustments", and when the wife wants to ride rear seat, I'll let her wear them and I'll go back to using my 3/4 lid with the existing headphones and mic.

Thanks guys. You pretty much confirmed what I suspected, but there just aren't many affordable options for half-helmet riders who want to use the comm system on the RSV. I think what I'll do is get one set for myself and try to make some "comfort adjustments", and when the wife wants to ride rear seat, I'll let her wear them and I'll go back to using my 3/4 lid with the existing headphones and mic.

We use J&M set for Shorty helmet in our lids and work great. Since we are on to new lids in the next week going to see if the EdSets will fit and still be usefull on Shorty helmet. We tend to use in ear canal earphones and the plug in set up on EdSets look to be a really good solution for this type set up. Also, then can ride the summer without the side liner for the short to hold speakers.

:sign yeah that:, Mechanic has a J&M on her half helmet, no issues what so ever.

In fact know of several with this set up.

I have the same helmet as the mech... can you show some pics on how you mounted it?? I just got a J&M and can't get it inbetween the liner and the shell.... I remember hers looked great and that's why I bought the J&M...

Thanks!

I almost always have earphones in when I'm riding anywhere except for short distances. I really appreciate being able to hear well, what I am listening too. The earphones I use enable me to listen to any kind of music (even talk radio) and use my intercom and CB without complaint.

I have used Air-Rider headsets and EdSets with full helmets, and I was never happy with the quality of the sound in any number of helmets I tried. But, when I ride with my wife on the back, or with friends who I want to communicate with, I need my microphone. So, I cut off the headset speakers, and I now use an EdSet Microphone with my earphones plugged-in to a EdSet 5-pin adapter plug. For me, this combination is perfect. Even with a half-helmet.

And, probably one of the best things I ever added, were "Mic-Mutes" which makes it so I don't have to listen to all the wind noise constantly blowing through the microphone - that makes all the difference in the world!

Here are the earphones I use. I understand that most people would consider these earphones absurdly expensive - and, they are. And, I probably shouldn't be spending money on gadgets like this. However, since these earphones solve all of my complaints regarding sound quality while I'm riding - to me they are worth it. Plus, I didn't pay full retail for them either.

Hope this helps.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/IE30.html

Be Safe!

Pete.

Ok... threw my headsets into extra helmets and get how they all work... and I have an exo100... So i'm all set there, but I LOVE the idea of being able to use in-ear headphones... What's the edsets adapter?

The sound in my JM's is REALLY thin. not sure the model... it was an ebay steal.

EDIT: Found the adapter... so the 5-5 pin adapter just allows you to use other headphones with the factory system? SO I can use the JM mic and regular in-ear headsets??

Edited by screamstone

I have these and have the same complaints as others with it hurting my ears, So We went to the local lather shop got some chap cutoff pieces use mesh cloth sewed them together making a pouch. drop the speakers in them and walla.

If you are picking up a lot of engine noise with the J&M cb system check where you have your power wire ran to.