The only thing I do not like about my new (to me) 2006 RSTD is the very high windshield. I have always set my shields up so my line of sight is about 2 inches above the plexiglass for an undistorted view. This windshield seems about 5 inches too high for my 5 foot 9 inch frame. Have any of you folks cut down the stock shield? I also found out Yamaha makes a direct replacement unit that is 7 inches shorter....anybody have any experiance with the shorter shield?

I took mine (06 RSTD) to my local glass shop and he cut it down for me for $30. I later replaced it with the clearview...they come in 3 sizes plus they're 4" wider than stock. I tired the tall 21" and didn't like it and also had it cut down with no problems. I found it it better to mark where I wanted it cut and let him do the cutting.

If you're at all handy with a variable speed jigsaw, a ruler, some masking tape, a pencil, and a file, cutting down the windshield is quite easy. The main thing is to not try and cut too fast with the jigsaw... medium speed and very light forward pressure.

I could provide instruction but that already exists somewhere on this site.

Oh yeah... and a steady hand helps too...:eek:

Make a template of the top of your windshield with a piece of cardboard or something such as a file folder. Lower that to where you want the top to be and trace the edge and there you have your cut line.

I cut the windshield on my 08 RSTD myself, very easy with simple tools.

I used a saber saw with a fine tooth metal cutting blade. Cover all surfaces of the windshield and bottom of the saw table with tape, I used 2 inch wide painters tape. Once the area to be cut is covered mark your cut line, I used the center windshield bolt with a string and pencil for the basic arc then blend the edges to your taste.

After the cut is done I used a flat fine file to smooth and radius the edge. When done you would never tell it was cut:happy65:

The rule here is don't let the saw table contact the bare plastic, only taped areas to avoid scraches:bawling:

I have a short one on my 01 that I just got last Monday that was cut down to 11 3/8 and don't care that much for it,,, ( use to a taller shield ) I also have one that come with it that is 16 tall with two round vents in it. Haven't tried it yet. I will be looking for a tall wide shield soon I think.

Wow...thanks for all the responses! I guess I have more options than I thought. Cutting the shield down certainly is an option and the clearview shield looks like a great way to go to. The hard part now is to decide which way to go.

Hope you're happy with the recurve. I wasn't! I thought it distorted the view. Especially bad looking thru it in a curve. Actually gave me a headache. I initially bought the stock 21" height, but couldn't stand looking through the recurve. Then I cut the bottom down 4" which wasn't too bad, but I still didn't like the recurve. That's why I bought the 16½" without it. I honestly see no value in the recurve. I get no helmet buffeting to speak of.

Hope you're happy with the recurve. I wasn't! I thought it distorted the view. Especially bad looking thru it in a curve. Actually gave me a headache. I initially bought the stock 21" height, but couldn't stand looking through the recurve. Then I cut the bottom down 4" which wasn't too bad, but I still didn't like the recurve. That's why I bought the 16½" without it. I honestly see no value in the recurve. I get no helmet buffeting to speak of.

Good points that I had not thought of. My whole purpose in this is to get an undistorted view of the road. To that end I have changed my order to get the non recurve shield. Thanks for the helpful info on ths.

:thumbsup2: