IGNORED

89 tire change

Pappa Bear

I have the rear tire off of the 89 for a tire change. the question is, what needs to be taken off the rim ?do i need to take the rotor off of the rim before it goes to the tire changer? This is the first time I have taken one apart for the tire replacement. And is there anything that gets done other than cleaning the hub and regreasing the teeth?

Is there anything else in there i need to take apart and service?

There is a spacer on the brake side that you may want to keep at home. It's not needed and will only get lost. You will need it for reassembly though.

Clean the hub on both side, grease with a good moly grease, and then put it back together.

Carl

Thanks guys, and while I'm under there I want to change the fuel filter. Does anyone have a number on one that will fit from the auto parts store? Mine is an 89 VR. Can it be difficult to get the shock suspension out to put the grease jerks in? I may as well go for the grandslam while it is raining around here! :250:

There is a spacer on the brake side that you may want to keep at home. It's not needed and will only get lost. You will need it for reassembly though.

Clean the hub on both side, grease with a good moly grease, and then put it back together.

Carl

:doh: I forgot about the spacer. Good save Carl.

:sick: took mine apart 2 weeks ago :sick: Lots and lots of cleaning to do... get all that crappy old grease off of the spline... every part cleaned.... never got into the "zerts" for greasing. Changed the wheel bearings new rubber... front and rear..... its only money.

Got the molly grease from a local auto parts wholesaler...... brand name of "molly slip " a little goes a long way !

Changed rear brake pads... to find that the calipers frozen..... consider that you will be checking and servicing everything before you are done