IGNORED

Does AIS cause chirping?

philmartin

I was googling something else and came accross this article. I don't know anything about AIS, but with everyone talking about the RSV chirping, I thought this might be interesting...

AIS, What's chirping?

Written by StarMyram, on 06-22-2006 19:16

I used to have an 04 V-Star 650 Classic and it made a funny noise while coasting on highway and cruising in town at low rpm.

Just got a brand new 05 Roadstar Silverado ...Ya know, this bike is beautiful, torquey, and a nice low "bump,bump,bump" exhaust tone at low rpm. But for crying out loud, WHAT is this annoying chirpy sound?! This bike has it even worse than the V-star!

Well, the other night I was fumbling around the running engine with my fingers and eneded up with my finger in the air intake tube hanging down off the AIS pump. The chirping stopped! HA! Found thee source of the noise! Did some research as to where these little pipes went to and fro on the AIS. I decided I could do without the peice of crap on my bike. (don't tell Kyoto! )

I got out my tools and removed the AIS pump and it's filter and all the brackets. Removed the vaccuum pulse line from the intake manifold and put a cap on the tee. I left the chrome tubes attatched to the heads, I used the one left over hose (pushed a 1" long wooden dowel into the hose to seal it off to avoid exhaust gas travelling from one cylinder port to the other through the chrome lines and burning up the hose) and installed the hose to each chrome line.

After admiring the new clean, uncluttered look of the front of the engine without AIS, I started the engine and admired the clean V-twin engine sound, with a nice clean exhaust tone with no "fluffing" from the tailpipes (the way it should be.) I took the bike for a ride and Voila! No more chirping sound! Yeah Baby!

I understand Californians have emmission laws and lots more tubing on the bikes for charcoal canisters and such so I don't know about thse bikes. Removal of the AIS system is not necessary for performance gains since the AIS does not rob power or performance. But it's just plain ugly to look at, and it annoyed me to no end because of the crappy sound it adds to the engine. Here in Alberta, I can get rid of it without some emmissions police hassling me too. I plan to make steel plates to cover the ports in the heads and remove the chrome tubes completely when I get time this coming winter.