IGNORED

'99 RSV Color confusion

Freebird

I have the same color bike as yours and I scratched the top of the trunk this spring:doh:. I just looked at the colorite pictures the darker gray looks close. I would be intersted in what you find out about the color. I am thinking of ordering the paint jar touch up and clearcoat touch up. Let me know what you find out:hurts:.

Don.

Since I can detect that you want this to be an exact match so to speak then you have to take into consideration that when they scan the color the computer picks the closest match that it has already in the program. At least that is what my painter tells me. Doubt that it will make a special formula based on the scan but someone will most likely chime in if I am wrong.

Make sure when you have gotten the paint to have the painter do a test on a piece not belonging to your bike with the clear coat and the whole process. I have gone through this before and a color scan that my Dupont dealer did was far off. My painter was far from happy and made three tests from scans done by three different suppliers before he was happy but got a good match at last. That came from a company called Sikkens (don´t know if you have that in the US). There is a guy in Sweden that used to work for DuPont that had actually matched all the Yamaha colors but since then he has quit and we have not been able to locate him to get the formulas. But I know my painter is still working on it.

Still I have often read here on the forum that people have been very happy with the ColorRite matches. Maybe they are a good match but you will only know by making some tests right?

By the way - You should have the color code stamped somewhere on your bike. On my 1998 Tour Classic it is under the seat. Colorrite could most likely tell you what Colorrite code matches the Yamaha Color code.

Wish you well with this Don - just take it step by step.

Edited by StarFan

That actually adds to the confusion. :) According to the Color Rite site, the correct color would be 5930. Also, over the weekend, I found two touch up paint pens that came with my Bushtec trailer. It was painted by Bushtec to match the '99. One of the pens is marked 5930 and is marked "Dark". So it agrees with the Color Rite site.

According to the Color Rite site, your 5948 was used on the 2001 Royal Star Venture. I'll admit though, the color swatch that they show looks closer to the '99 than does the 5930.