IGNORED

gas gauge stopped working

Hi,

Finally got the 84 VR all put back together after a long winter tear down..Replaced collector, new swing arm bushings, starter rebuild and misc other stuff...Started her up today for the first time... runs great.....BUT

Gas gauge shows empty and of course the darn little red light is flashing , but the tank was half full... rode to the gas station, filled it up and still shows empty. This happened once last year for about 10 minutes then good all summer..

What to check first??? fuel sender, float...gauge itself???

Any advice on where to begin would be appreciated...Can certainly ride it, but do not like the little red light and I'd rather know the gas level

Thanks,

Clay

My 85 had the same problem. It was the float and sending unit mounted in the tank under the seat. I got a replacement on ebay for around $30.00 with shipping. The sending unit has a fine copper wire coil in it and when the copper wire breaks it's done for.

I still have my tank from my old 83 ...I'll first check the connections, greae them up with dialectic grease....Other wise I'll pull the fuel sender and check that...I was wondering about the solder connections as a potential issue.

My 85 had the same problem. It was the float and sending unit mounted in the tank under the seat. I got a replacement on ebay for around $30.00 with shipping. The sending unit has a fine copper wire coil in it and when the copper wire breaks it's done for.

I had the sender coil break on a truck once. Pulled the sender and put a little solder over the break. Worked great.

Want to thank everyone for the advice... took the seat off and simply cleaned the connections real well and sprayed them down with electric cleaner. Immediately worked perfect....Glad it was the first simple solution....:cool10:

Thanks

Clay