Venture Riders,

I'm new to the site and am having a good time learning. I have a 2002 VMAX and would like to compliment him with a Venture. I am interested in the 86-93 models. Is that considered 1st generartion or 2nd? Also, I was wondering what where some of the differences in those model years, mostly function and option differences. I believe there is no reverse gear in those years, is that correct?

Also I'd be interested in member's opinions regarding the pros and cons of the Ventrue for those years. Any info would be great even if you might think it is trival. I'm trying to educate myself for a spring purchase.

Thanks!

Bill

Hampton, IL

Hi Bill and Welcome:

83 to 93 are considered 1st gens

83 to 85 are Mrk I's and 86 to 93 are Mrk II's

83 and 84 are the same except for color

85 is a stand alone with a larger trunk, best color, fastest, nicest and it's real pretty.

86 to 93 are more or less all the same except for color with the trunk becomeing a little larger and larger sadle bags that don't come off easy like the Mrk I's

83 to 85 have the 1200 cc engine which is faster but does have a 2nd gear issue after about 60,000 miles. This was corrected mid 85.

That's the short of it, but you will learn a whole lot more about color, speed and a whole host of other BS input.

Carl

Howdy and welcome to the nut house.

Check out the left side of the main screen and you will see the MAIN MENU. There is a section there on Venture History. That will explain the difference between the years and the features.

I have an '84 myself, a 1st gen, and love it to death. Great ride. The 1st gen is typicaly a more nimble bike, for a 850 lb bike, due to the riders stance on the bike. The 2nd gen went to the cruiser styling.

If you're riding the Max and love it, but want more comfort and features for the long ride, the 1st gen might tickle your pickle. If you want something different where you can stretch out a bit...the 2nd gen will do it.

As you know the motors are all about the same. 1200 or 1300. Bulletproof. Love the revs.

And there is probabaly a line forming as I type to give their thoughts.

Reverse gear is available only if you have a girlfriend/wife that don't mind pushing.

Hang around. Things to learn here.

Mike

I love my 91. only 2 down sides for me is that as I am wertically challenged its kinda hard to get the heels of my feet down, Balls of my feet no problem I just cant flat foot the bike. This soon became no prob thopugh with time.

The other downfall for me is the lean angle. Not sure if all 1st gens have this prob but I have to watch the direction of the slope of the places where I park. It stands a straight up on the side stand and has been on its side a few times because of this.

The up side is this bike was made for me. It messhes with my style of riding. I love to push the twisties but I also like the fact that I can get on the super slabs and be comfortable for the long run.

Get a good set of highway pegs . The last time mine fell over it broke my left side highway peg and I do miss it onthe longer stretches.

other than that the frist genis just fun. Now Im not knocking the second gens as I havent been on one so I cant say anything about one.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

David