IGNORED

kuryakan grips loose ???

Bwhite

I rode the new to me (used) RSV today and discovered the grips that the guy I bought the bike from are loose. I was riding along and the throttle grip started to turn on the plastic under piece throttle. I thought about using black Permatex silicone to glue on, but not sure that's the best answer.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

Brian,

This might not be what you want to hear, depending upon wht style of Kuryakyn grips you have I would get rid of them. I had a set of the Iso Grips on 1 of my '99's and it broke in half! I just dont like the quality of some of the Kury stuff. As far as the grip, many put dishwashing liquid mix on it and it slides on pretty easily, when it heats up the soap dries and actually acts like glue. I know others will chime in here with other "Recipies"

The throttle grip comes off pretty easily. Feels like there could be 1\16" play.

Sounds like they may have the wrong size on there. 1/16 inch is quite a bit of slop. We use to put hair spray on them to keep them tight, also spray some paint or vanish on them and when it drys it should be fine.

My left grip is loose and continues to turn as I ride it but so far I am to lazy to fix it.

I also broke a grip but it was my fault not the manufacturer. I've had these so long they are starting to pit from the sweat.

I do like the big grips......

BOO

I second what Squidley said, found the ISO,s to be alittle weak and never could get them to quit turning. Try finding some of the wet suit material and put one layer on. Makes the grips alittle thicker and they don,t move around, helps dampen some of the vibration also. (cheap also)

I rode the new to me (used) RSV today and discovered the grips that the guy I bought the bike from are loose. I was riding along and the throttle grip started to turn on the plastic under piece throttle. I thought about using black Permatex silicone to glue on, but not sure that's the best answer.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

Curious, just how much did it turn? Check again and see if the chrome "cage" moved slightly while the rubber inserts held tight. If so, thats somewhat normal. If the rubber is turning as well, you need to remove the grip off of the throttle, clean the area up and apply SuperGlue Gel to the plastic throttle housing. Then, making sure the grip is lined up the same as the other grip and slide the grip back on. Apply pressure for a few minutes to set the glue and you should be good. You only get one shot at this so "measure twice, cut once". Goo Gone is a great product for removing glued on stuff, but very messy. Make sure you cover your bike well with plastic before using this stuff.

Now would also be a good time to inspect both grips for metal cracks between the rubber. If cracked, toss and replace with a better grip. Non-Kuryakyn is preferred.....but thats another story......:smile5: