IGNORED

Caliper mounted lights...

SilvrT

In the following ad, the scoot has caliper mounted lights.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/1653768301.html

So, the question that has always puzzled me about such a mounting is.... wouldn't the bouncing of the wheel cause the lights to appear as though they were also bouncing, not to mention the vibration factor on the mounting bracketry. I'm sure many have seen an on-coming semi or other vehicle with their driving or fog lamps on and the things are obviously jiggling like crazy just from the roughness of the ride and the flexing of the mounting.

Thoughts/comments on this?

My thoughts also. Lights mounted on the frame/body also bounce, but at least have the suspension to soak up some of the motion. With lights mounted on the wheels/brakes, any movement of the wheel will be perfectly transmitted to the light. Of course the tire will soak up some of the actual distance of a bump, but if the wheel moves, so does the light. I would think this would shorten bulb life, making LED's a necessity.

Guest human4m

Those are Motolights, which are GREAT! They come with a 3 Year warranty, and the company replaces burned out bulbs for the LIFE of the original owner. Hey if bulbs are essentially free, who cares if they burn out? They run about $400 a set for the caliper mount set...

My biggest concern would be road debris.

In the following ad, the scoot has caliper mounted lights.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/1653768301.html

So, the question that has always puzzled me about such a mounting is.... wouldn't the bouncing of the wheel cause the lights to appear as though they were also bouncing, not to mention the vibration factor on the mounting bracketry. I'm sure many have seen an on-coming semi or other vehicle with their driving or fog lamps on and the things are obviously jiggling like crazy just from the roughness of the ride and the flexing of the mounting.

Thoughts/comments on this?

Keith has a set of the moto lights for sale in the classifieds for a lot less than 400 just putting it out there

So, the question that has always puzzled me about such a mounting is.... wouldn't the bouncing of the wheel cause the lights to appear as though they were also bouncing,....
I don't think the wheel goes up and down very much. Most of the action is weight transfer between the forks and the frame. Paved roads are fairly flat, not often like washboard gravel roads or driving through potholes where the front wheel might actually bounce into the air.