IGNORED

Little air compressor connector to bike

Guest Ken8143

Guest Ken8143

I have a battery tender pigtail connected to my battery. Can I use that pigtail to power up one of those little portable air compressors that you carry with the bike or will the amps required melt the wires?

I have a battery tender pigtail connected to my battery. Can I use that pigtail to power up one of those little portable air compressors that you carry with the bike or will the amps required melt the wires?

Ken,

Most of these little compressors pull 8 to 10 amps. Make sure there is a fuse in the line that can handle it. DO NOT plug it into the aux power port (cig lighter). It is only fused to 5 amps.

I added an additional pigtail with heavier wire (12 ga) and a 15 Amp fuse. I covered the connector with a finger cut from disposable mechanics gloves and put a twist tie on it. It is laying under the seat along the frame. I will need to remove the seat to get to it, but if I have a flat, that will be the least of my worries.

RR

Ken,

Most of these little compressors pull 8 to 10 amps. Make sure there is a fuse in the line that can handle it. DO NOT plug it into the aux power port (cig lighter). It is only fused to 5 amps.

I added an additional pigtail with heavier wire (12 ga) and a 15 Amp fuse. I covered the connector with a finger cut from disposable mechanics gloves and put a twist tie on it. It is laying under the seat along the frame. I will need to remove the seat to get to it, but if I have a flat, that will be the least of my worries.

RR

I'm certain your right because I don't know BUTTTT, I have an air pump I bought at the auto supply store that came with a tube of slimy green stuff that is suppose to seal a flat tire. Although I have plugged several tires I have never used the slimy green stuff I have used the air pump many many times and I used the accessory outlet in the fairing of my 2000MM Venture. I have used it twice to completely fill a rear tire that had been plugged. I have topped off the air in the front and rear tires countless times. I have never blown a fuse. I do put the bike in neutral and leave it running so as not to put to much strain on the battery. So at least this air pump will not blow your fuse. Satisfied customer. I always carry the air pump.:thumbsup2:

I'm certain your right because I don't know BUTTTT, I have an air pump I bought at the auto supply store that came with a tube of slimy green stuff that is suppose to seal a flat tire. Although I have plugged several tires I have never used the slimy green stuff I have used the air pump many many times and I used the accessory outlet in the fairing of my 2000MM Venture. I have used it twice to completely fill a rear tire that had been plugged. I have topped off the air in the front and rear tires countless times. I have never blown a fuse. I do put the bike in neutral and leave it running so as not to put to much strain on the battery. So at least this air pump will not blow your fuse. Satisfied customer. I always carry the air pump.:thumbsup2:
Have you checked to make sure nobody replaced that stock 5A fuse with a bigger one? Lots of people do this, and it is REALLY dangerous!

Even if you have a larger fuse in there, those stock wires are NOT big enough to handle that kind of load. You are lucky you haven't had a short circuit or fire. Even at only an 8A pull, prolonged use at that level generates a lot of heat in small wires. You may be happy with your setup, but I'd suggest you reconsider what you are doing. Good luck,

Goose

Have you checked to make sure nobody replaced that stock 5A fuse with a bigger one? Lots of people do this, and it is REALLY dangerous!

Even if you have a larger fuse in there, those stock wires are NOT big enough to handle that kind of load. You are lucky you haven't had a short circuit or fire. Even at only an 8A pull, prolonged use at that level generates a lot of heat in small wires. You may be happy with your setup, but I'd suggest you reconsider what you are doing. Good luck,

Goose

Thanks V7Goose, I'll check as soon as I get home and see if the fuse has been increased. I definitely don't believe in putting a bigger fuse in. The air pump is designed to be used in vehicles but I'm not sure if that includes motorcycles. The reason I'm using it is out of ignorance. I did not realize the fuse and wiring would not hold the current. I will check further into the matter and let you know.:doh:

I checked my air pump and it is rated 15 amp. The RSV spec's say the DC outlets are rated 5 amps each. Now I can't imagine anyone putting a 15 amp fuse in a 5 amp slot but like I said before I have used the 15 amp air pump many times and did not blow the DC outlet fuse. I can't find the DC outlet fuse to check it. Can someone tell me where it is? I found the fuse box under the left side panel but that's not the right one. If I check it and it is a 5 amp fuse I would think it would be safe to continue using the 15 amp air pump as the 5 amp fuse would protect the wires. Am I correct? If not please tell me why.

I have the Battery Tender Plus pigtail on my RSTD (directly to the battery).

It runs the "Slime Sport Tire Inflator" just fine.

This one: http://www.slime.com/product/111/Power-Sport-Tire-Inflator-(%2340001).html

I like the size for a bike, has more connectors than you can use.

(The pump comes with a pigtail. But the one with the Battery Tender is better quality.)

Sells for $36.99 but O'Rileys gives me 10% off for being a Vet.

I donate one of these as a door prize at our Star Touring Christmas party each year.

Edited by Mike G in SC

i checked my air pump and it is rated 15 amp. The rsv spec's say the dc outlets are rated 5 amps each. Now i can't imagine anyone putting a 15 amp fuse in a 5 amp slot but like i said before i have used the 15 amp air pump many times and did not blow the dc outlet fuse. i can't find the dc outlet fuse to check it. Can someone tell me where it is? i found the fuse box under the left side panel but that's not the right one. If i check it and it is a 5 amp fuse i would think it would be safe to continue using the 15 amp air pump as the 5 amp fuse would protect the wires. Am i correct? If not please tell me why.

[attach]42893[/attach]

Guest tx2sturgis
I checked my air pump and it is rated 15 amp.

Thats probably 'starting' amps, or maybe what is called 'locked rotor' amps. I doubt it pulls that much just running normally. If it did, the 'starting' amps would be more like 30 or 45, and we KNOW that aint right. A standard glass or ATM fuse can handle a brief, mild surge in amps without blowing.

I have one of those and will put a meter on it and test if someone else cant do it.

Thanks guys now I can check to make sure that the fuse is a 5 amp fuse. I don't know how to measure how much amperage the air pump is actually pulling. I would think that the longer it runs the more amps it pulls but that is just a guess on my part.

Thanks V7Goose, I'll check as soon as I get home and see if the fuse has been increased. I definitely don't believe in putting a bigger fuse in. The air pump is designed to be used in vehicles but I'm not sure if that includes motorcycles. The reason I'm using it is out of ignorance. I did not realize the fuse and wiring would not hold the current. I will check further into the matter and let you know.:doh:
It is designed to be used in CIGARETTE LIGHTER sockets. Lighters pull a lot of current, so they have bigger wires and fuses. Our socket looks like a lighter socket, but it ain't (didn't come with a lighter); it is only intended for small accessories.

I checked my air pump and it is rated 15 amp. The RSV spec's say the DC outlets are rated 5 amps each. Now I can't imagine anyone putting a 15 amp fuse in a 5 amp slot but like I said before I have used the 15 amp air pump many times and did not blow the DC outlet fuse. I can't find the DC outlet fuse to check it. Can someone tell me where it is? I found the fuse box under the left side panel but that's not the right one. If I check it and it is a 5 amp fuse I would think it would be safe to continue using the 15 amp air pump as the 5 amp fuse would protect the wires. Am I correct? If not please tell me why.
Technically, this statement is correct - but I will be really blown away if you actually find that it is working on a real 5A fuse. All of those pumps I have seen are rated higher than that, and I have seen lots of RSV owners who popped their fuse when trying to use that front socket (it generally only holds for about 10 seconds under the load from one of those compressors).

Thanks guys now I can check to make sure that the fuse is a 5 amp fuse. I don't know how to measure how much amperage the air pump is actually pulling. I would think that the longer it runs the more amps it pulls but that is just a guess on my part.
No, that is incorrect. Any motor will pull maximum current at start, then settle to a lower pull unless something tries to slow it down. The problem is that at any fixed rate of current, heat will be generated in the wires. Ever noticed how warm/hot the plug on a vacuum cleaner is after you have been using it for a while? That is the same thing. Vacuums pull a lot of current, but they don't want to put big thick heavy wires on them, so they use the smallest that is safe. The smaller the wire, the more heat. If the wire is big enough to dissipate the generated heat at least as fast as it is being generated, then all will be well. If it is just a little too small, it will take a long time to get hot enough to melt insulation, but if it is way too small, it can cause a fire in a few minutes. A fuse or circuit breaker in any circuit should never be larger than the maximum current that any single wire in the entire circuit can handle continuously. It is fine for wires to be bigger than the fuse, but that doesn't help anything, and you should never assume they are - that is why you NEVER put a bigger fuse in an existing circuit unless you designed it yourself and KNOW it is over-wired. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanks again V7Goose. A couple of people told me where the fuse box is and while helping Chip yesterday we found his in the lower right fairing. Hopefully I'll be able to check this weekend. I have a PGR mission tomorrow and its suppose to rain Sunday and unless I put my bikes out in the rain I may not have enough room to get to my bike. I really want to know what fuse is in there so I hope I have enough room Sunday.

On my wing I run my batter tender (BT) directly to the battery. The BT pigtail also will power the slime pump as it is designed to do. No fuse is necessary. The slime pump, including slime bottle and air gauge fit into a case that is about 5x6x1.5, so its very compact. On trips I check my tires and adjust as desired every morning. Works great. I have used other power port plug in types but they were always bigger. Directly to the battery is the absolute best way to go and these little pumps are perfect for the scoot.

Ok I got back from the PGR mission early enough to look. My fuses are 5 amp. I have the same little pump I think. Clear plastic case with a bottle of green slime and the air pump and fittings. I agree hooking it up to the battlery via the battlery tender cable would be the best butttt, 1) my pump has a dc plug that plugs into the dc outlect with a fuse in it. How do you connect it to the battery tender plug? and 2) I have comletely inflated my rear tire that was completely flat and my 5 amp fuse never blew so I could not have been drawing over 5 amps.

If someone knows how to connect the airpump to the battery tender leads from the battery I would love to know.

To hook to battery just remove your seat, attach the leads directly to terminals. If the BT cable is long enough let it hang out under seat. IF not you could always splice in some extra length or you could just remove the seat when you need to use it.

1) my pump has a dc plug that plugs into the dc outlet with a fuse in it. How do you connect it to the battery tender plug?

If someone knows how to connect the air pump to the battery tender leads from the battery I would love to know.

Fairly cheaply you can find a cigarette plug (female receptacle) with other end having the battery tender standard leads.

http://batterytender.com/accessories/cigarette-lighter-adaptor.html

I guess I did not express my problem very well in my last post. Sorry. I have a Slime air pump that attaches via a DC plug that plugs into the DC outlet on the front fairing. I also have a battery tender connector attached to my battery where I attach the battery tender to charge the battery. Is there any devise or any way to connect the air pump to the battery tender connector that is already connected to the battery?:puzzled:

I guess I did not express my problem very well in my last post. Sorry. I have a Slime air pump that attaches via a DC plug that plugs into the DC outlet on the front fairing. I also have a battery tender connector attached to my battery where I attach the battery tender to charge the battery. Is there any devise or any way to connect the air pump to the battery tender connector that is already connected to the battery?:puzzled:

Sorry for the misunderstanding of what you were looking for. I would think it should be pretty easy to find. Hardware store or Try the web for the Slime or some of the heated clothing manufactures. I believe they are all the same type of connectors. My Slime pump came with the connector.

Jay