IGNORED

side stand shortening after lowering, how much?

cb1313

Hi, I did a seach of side stands and mostly found " checking you oil' and "center stands" Anyway, I have lowered my bike with the barons rear kit and lowered the front. I have found a side stand kit after lowering my new Kaw. Versys and want to try it on my Venture.

How much should I cut off or what should be the total length of the stand when shortened. I am willing to start with a little cut off and work my way shorter but it would help where to start ?

thank you Cb

I did not do a good job with mine. I tried to heat and bend it and ended up with it cracking. I simply continued the bend a little more then had it welded and reinforced. Its not pretty. It still needs a little more lean, but it is better. My thought was that bending would provide a wider stance versus cutting. If you find a cleaner answer, please share it.:080402gudl_prv:

And then the next question is, What is the proper lean angle when on the side stand.

Mine has fallen over onto the right side while parked on the side stand.

I was also thinking of shortening my side stand.

HMmmmm........

Now that I think about it, just find some boards of various thicknesses drive the wheels up on them and when you get a lean you like, that board thickness is how much to shorten the stand.

Dang, now I found another project to add to the list.

HMmmmm........

Now that I think about it, just find some boards of various thicknesses drive the wheels up on them and when you get a lean you like, that board thickness is how much to shorten the stand.

Dang, now I found another project to add to the list.

If that is correct... then you will find the board height would be equal to the amount the bike was lowered. Lets see... a squared + b squared = c squared... or the sum of all angles = 180deg... :detective:

I should have listened closer to Miss Beatrice in geometry class!!:bang head:

Here is a picture of the kickstand on my RSV. We were able to cut about 1 1/2" out of it and that worked really good for me. I actually started off cutting 1" out and that was not enough for me. We cut the piece out of the lower part of the stand, below the tang that you use to put the kickstand down. We cut the piece out then drilled and tapped into each end, threaded a piece of althread in and welded it back with stainless rod.

To remove the kickstand, it is much easier if you remove the two bolts holding the floorboard on before you try to take the kickstand off. Dropping the floorboard lets the shifting linkage drop down and give you access to the bolt holding the kickstand. That may not be the easiest way, but is the easiest way I found.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25956&d=1233887972