IGNORED

Freebird, Please Help.

Just did the PCW clutch upgrade. When I took the cover off I noticed the marks on the basket and friction plates were opposite of what you show in picture 5 of your tech description. The single mark on the basket was lined up with the two groves on the discs. Do you think I should change it or put it back the way it was. Have not torqued it down yet so it would be easy to change.

I found the friction plates in my 05 were initially put in wrong from the factory, too, just like you describe. When I did the spring upgrade around 40,000 miles I chose to put the plates back in correctly.

I'll be honest and say I never have fully understood they index on the friction plates - every wet clutch I know has them, but I've never seen a convincing explanation for why. But the fact is the shop manuals say to match up the marks, so that is what I did even tho it ran fine for 40,000 with the plates in 180 degrees out.

Goose

Thanks for that, Goose. It will only take a minute to change so I think I will. It,s been running fine the way it was but I,m gonna change it. Makes you wonder what Yamaha has a manual for if they can,t follow it.:bang head:

Just finished mine an hour ago. same thing I ask in a thread here a couple days ago. I even asked John at PCW... he says it will not make any difference. also I put mine back like Kent did , ALL IN LINE.

mine were scattered all over the place as well.

Jeff

Edited by Cougar

I put mine in according to the book as well. As far as why they are indexed, I haven't a clue.

Maybe its the type of equipment I work on, but I have never ran across indexed wet clutches before. PTO, drive, transmission, brakes in tractors and combines.

(actually I haven't chased a combine in 8 years. I still don't miss it!:cool10:)

I did the clutch in my Vmax last year and saw that they were indexed also. Never understood that either. But like others have said, put them back in according to the manual. I guess if you don't know why, sometimes you have to follow blindly. Who'd a thunk it???