IGNORED

Beware of garage sale helmets

Guest Lumpy

Almost 20 yrs ago I found a full face Kiwi helmet at a garage sale for $5. You may remember them as they were semi popular at the time. The helmet was almost new and was sold in the original box. The only thing wrong was with the visor. It moved up and down freely. I didn't think much of it and proceeded onto the Boulder turnpike (Colorado) riding my trusty KZ650. Anyone who has ridden this stretch of road knows it can get mighty windy. This was one of those days. I was riding about 75mph when a gust of wind hit me just right, shot up under the helmet, snapped my neck backward and the visor opened. I have never been as scared as when this happened. I veered off on the shoulder and shut it down safely. It took about an hour before I was ready to ride on and the Kiwi was later used for target practice. To this day I will not wear a full face helmet. Silly, but I hate them.

What did the full-face style have to do with it? I would think that any helmet with a malfunctioning movable visor could be sobject to somthing like that happening.

:confused24:

I ride with my visor in a half down position all the time because the windshield provides protection that is too good and it gets hot quickly with the visor all the way down. As long as your visor clicks firmly in all positions, nothing short of riding in a hurricane should lift it. I expect that sometime I will get a open face helmet, but for now, full-face works great, at least for me...

To each his own I guess.

The Kiwi helmet was sort of an odd design. The bottom did not taper in with the body like most helmets. It was largely open at the bottom and it stopped pretty much at the chin. Riding a bike with no fairing or windscreen, I found that wind lifted it up and was a strain on the neck under normal riding conditions. A strong wind burst that day tilted my head back enough for the visor to fly open, compounding the effect on my head and neck to the point that I was looking straight up. This is the only helmet I have worn that had an adjustable visor. All of the 3/4 helmets I wore had a fixed visor and today I wear a half helmet. I rather enjoy the wind and sounds and smells and bugs while riding and I prefer the half helmet.

Had a similar experience with a 3/4 helment in my young (& stupid... ) days. Was going WAY too fast and caught a gust that ripped the cheezey snap on shield off the helmet. It was pretty dissconcerting! (a.k.a. scared the crap outta me). You may want to reconsider full facers if that's the only reason you don't like them. The windshield really takes a lot of that concern away anyhow.

Which one is your dad and which one is you Lumpy? :whistling:

I would not let that one bad experience with a full face turn you off of them completely. If you had been down three times like I have and the full face saved your face from being obliterated, your teeth from being knocked out and your jaw from being broken you would always want to wear one. Try some of the better ones on. I am sure that if you get a good one you will never go back. :biker: :080402gudl_prv:

well i dont wear used helmets or hats its just one of those things.

to me it would be like using some ones used underware.

did they shower wash there hair every day did they have lice or other bugs or what ever mabe im just parinoid but if i need one ill go get a new one.

Truthfully, to me wearing a full face is much like riding in a car. I don't mean to knock it for others - to each his own in my opinion. I am much happier with the wind in my face.

NO DEAL, if you want the cooties they cost extra. And Lumpy all I have to do is look at that helmet with the damage to it and it is Fullfaced for me now and I couldn't stand them. Once you get used to wearing them I think they feel better than anything else and I KIND OF LIKE MY HEAD, reguardless of what other people think of it.