IGNORED

Venture /HD

newventure

WOW...I think you are WAY off in that assessment. You are saying that NONE of us are riding the bike that we want to be riding. I can tell you that is just not right. These bikes have a tremendous following and there are some here who wouldn't be happy with anything else.

I like Harley. I have owned them and still wish from time to time that I had one to add to my stable. I honestly do NOT want to get rid of my RSV to do so though. I also like the Goldwing. I rode Eck's last year at Vogel and was impressed with the way that it rode and the power and my wife loved the back seat but I was not nearly as comfortable as I am on the RSV.

As for the money, things have changed for us over the past few years but when I bought my RSV in '99, I paid cash for it and had the means at that time to buy any bike I wanted. I looked at the Ultra Classic, I test rode a Goldwing as well as a Valk Interstate. I bought the RSV because it was the bike that fit me the best. I have since wished that I could own additional bikes but have never regretted my purchase of the RSV.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest seuadr
My 2 cents...It's all about money. Isn't everything? If we all had $ 30K in or hands and was told to by the bike of our dreams, I would bet my socks that half of us would be riding Ultra Classics and the other half would be riding Goldwings.

aprila futara. mmmmmmm.

wouldn't mind a ducati ST series bike, either.

My 2 cents...It's all about money. Isn't everything? If we all had $ 30K in or hands and was told to by the bike of our dreams, I would bet my socks that half of us would be riding Ultra Classics and the other half would be riding Goldwings.

your feet are cold, and your breath smells too!!!

:rotfl::rotf::doh::rotf::rotfl:

i have a garage full of motorcycles, and if i wanted a harley or a honda or any other brand in there, you can bet the socks you just lost, i would have one or all of them.

by the way,,,, keep your socks on:no-no-no:

If I had that money after I already had my RSV free and clear (as I do) then I would add another bike, and that would be a Victory Cross Country, using the rest of the money to accessorize it. No Gold Wings nor HD need apply. Mike bike has to work for transportation each and every day -- no trailer queens or once-a-month-in-summer bar hoppers for me.

I spent two years researching and test riding touring bikes, bikes that could be converted to touring and sport-touring bikes before I bought the RSV.. I almost bought the BMW-LT so it was not about money. For me it was about comfort and value. I checked out HDs, the V-Rod and the Ultra Classic,, loved the engine on the V-Rod but not much else, didn't like the engine on the UC, and it was not as comfortable for me, and way less comfortable for my wife than the RSV, BMW or the Wing.

I have thought of buying a second bike for solo riding, and again looked at HDs,, I like the Street Bob, but just can't see spending another $16K for a second bike that I probably would not ride as much as my RSV.

Edited by hig4s

Guest human4m

I will admit, this had me slightly intrigued when they discussed the V-Rod Street Glide... I don't believe it ever made it any father than this picture though.

http://moto-images.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/4/0/9/6/4/v-rod-street-glide-side-798656.jpg

http://moto-images.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/4/0/9/6/4/v-rod-street-glide-front-755585.jpg

Not me...I had saved enough money and could have paid for a HD before I bought the RSV. (don't have it now) I rode a couple of my buddies Ultras for a couple of days. Wife hated the heat on her feet...and they did not seem to be smooth on the road. She really liked a White Screaming eagle we saw at the dealer. It was a very very pretty bike. It had 3500 miles on it (Dealer demo) and they were pretty much stuck on close to $35,000 plus tax and set up fees. No way in hell I was gonna pay that for a used bike...or a new bike unless I really really liked it. It was eye candy but then I found out about the maintenance charges.

I was very upset with Yamaha at the time since they did not upgrade the RSV...and was looking at everything on the market. Local Honda dealer would not let me sit one of two new Gold Wings off the center stand, so I dismissed it also.

Would I swap my RSV for a new design RSV? It is really according to what it looked like and how it rode. I probably will stand on the side lines for a few years till I found more about how the new design held up...and the let the bugs come out before I would jump.

The 07 Midnight is a great bike for me. I am very pleased with it and glad I choose it as my ride.

I will admit that if I had had the bucks a year ago last November when I bought the RSV, I would be riding an '09 Ultra today. I will also admit that if I came into a lot of extra money today or anytime in the future, I will be riding an Ultra. I'm not saying I don't like the RSV, nor am I saying I'm regretting buying it. It's an awesome bike and if I had the bucks for an Ultra plus the RSV, I wouldn't let go of the RSV. So yes, for me it was about the money. I flat out LOVE the Harley Ultra ... I do not care to be part of the Harley Rider's "group/lifestyle". I am and always will be a semi non-joiner ... meaning that I prefer going my own way, and not being a part of a "group". I enjoy a once-in-a-while get-together with friends who ride bikes, regardless of what they ride but for the most part, I am a bit of a loner.

Afraid not.

:rotf::rotf:

You're gonna need a lot of socks. :doh:

:080402gudl_prv: :Avatars_Gee_George::buttkick:

Thanks for the laugh!

:)

Edited by atlm

Guest human4m

If I had $30k in my hands and was told to buy the bike of my dreams, I'd do just that... add accessories to the one I've got, and spend the other $28,376.32 on a new driveway, insulating my garage, oh yeah, and pouring concrete so I can stop parking my bike on plywood. Not to mention that toolbox at Lowe's with the Fridge & Pioneer CD Player built in sounds nice too.

I reckon I'd even donate a wad of cash to VRorg... as well as some for you to buy some new socks.

I am always confused by threads like this. Does one ride for the enjoyment of riding or does one ride for the ego fix of others attention. I had the opportunity to buy any make and model of my choosing and selected my RSTD based on Engineering+ Economics+Service offer+Dealer attitude. There is not a single argument to change my opinion. Lets consider a few of the more prominent arguments for buying a HD vs a metric bike.

Point one One of the very first arguments anyone makes when debating the HD vs Metric question is what??? yes, that's right American made!!! Supporting the American work force seems to be a very powerful motivator for HD owners. Well, it seems to me that the American ship captain that carried the container my bike came in, the Ameircan dock worker that unloaded the crate the American Teamster that drove the truck which carried my bike to the dealer,the American dealer that stocked my bike, the American salesmen that sold me the bike, The Amrrican fianance company that lent me the money for the bike, and last but not least, the American mechanic that services my bike. Now it may be a skewed perspective on my part but I am confident in stating I AM supporting the American workforce when purchasing a metric bike.

Point Two Resale value is the second most prominent argument HD dealers and owners make for purchasing a HD at a MUCH higher cost than a metric bike. I bought a 2007 Honda Shadow spirit VT750DC at the very beginning of the model year for $6300. I rode the bike for three years putting nearly 30,000 miles on "patience"( That was her name) I did a bit of modicfication changing out the jets, intake and pipes. When I traded her in for the RSTD I recieved $5100. Again, it may be my skewed perspective but I am confident in stating that metric bike held its resale value as well, if not better, than a HD.

Point Three A new HD of the floor two year warranty. My RSTD five year warranty. Enough said?

Point Four- A new Road King Standard starts at $18,900. A RSTD can easily be found for $10,999. Call me odd but I believe that to be easy math.

Point Five Engineering of the metric bikes is simply better. While I am a fairly handy fellow I would much rather be confident I will make it home from a long ride under my own power than need to stop to make repairs. As was stated earlier in the thread. these bikes will easily exceed 100k without any major mechanical issues. A HD will need major engine work long before that.

Point Six and perhaps my most important point is dealer attitude. when shopping for the new model each and every HD dealer had such an attutide of "take it or leave it" I was repulsed. In fact, one dealer even had the audacity to ask "Why am I riding a girls Bike? Am I not enough of a man to ride a HD?" After a very short battle of wits in which I quickly realized this simple fellow came completely unarmed, I left the dealer and went to happily buy my RSTD.

SO.. The point of all this rambling is to urge all to be confident in your purpose and your self. Ride for the sheer pleasure of riding, Don't feel obligated to wave at every Joe on two wheels that rides by and respect the all those that take to the road in the saddle of their beloved machine.

I am always confused by threads like this. Does one ride for the enjoyment of riding or does one ride for the ego fix of others attention. I had the opportunity to buy any make and model of my choosing and selected my RSTD based on Engineering+ Economics+Service offer+Dealer attitude. There is not a single argument to change my opinion. Lets consider a few of the more prominent arguments for buying a HD vs a metric bike.

Point one One of the very first arguments anyone makes when debating the HD vs Metric question is what??? yes, that's right American made!!!

Nope... not me... never entered my mind.

Supporting the American work force seems to be a very powerful motivator for HD owners. Well, it seems to me that the American ship captain that carried the container my bike came in, the Ameircan dock worker that unloaded the crate the American Teamster that drove the truck which carried my bike to the dealer,the American dealer that stocked my bike, the American salesmen that sold me the bike, The Amrrican fianance company that lent me the money for the bike, and last but not least, the American mechanic that services my bike. Now it may be a skewed perspective on my part but I am confident in stating I AM supporting the American workforce when purchasing a metric bike.

Point Two Resale value is the second most prominent argument HD dealers and owners make for purchasing a HD at a MUCH higher cost than a metric bike.

Nope... not me... never entered my mind.

I bought a 2007 Honda Shadow spirit VT750DC at the very beginning of the model year for $6300. I rode the bike for three years putting nearly 30,000 miles on "patience"( That was her name) I did a bit of modicfication changing out the jets, intake and pipes. When I traded her in for the RSTD I recieved $5100. Again, it may be my skewed perspective but I am confident in stating that metric bike held its resale value as well, if not better, than a HD.

Point Three A new HD of the floor two year warranty. My RSTD five year warranty. Enough said?

Wasn't an issue or concern...but 5yr is nice.

Point Four- A new Road King Standard starts at $18,900. A RSTD can easily be found for $10,999. Call me odd but I believe that to be easy math.

A new RSV is around 22 grand up here... a new Ultra is around 28 grand ... not a major diff when forking out that much money to get what you want (assuming you are spending that kinda bucks).

Point Five Engineering of the metric bikes is simply better. While I am a fairly handy fellow I would much rather be confident I will make it home from a long ride under my own power than need to stop to make repairs. As was stated earlier in the thread. these bikes will easily exceed 100k without any major mechanical issues. A HD will need major engine work long before that.

Can't comment

Point Six and perhaps my most important point is dealer attitude. when shopping for the new model each and every HD dealer had such an attutide of "take it or leave it" I was repulsed. In fact, one dealer even had the audacity to ask "Why am I riding a girls Bike? Am I not enough of a man to ride a HD?" After a very short battle of wits in which I quickly realized this simple fellow came completely unarmed, I left the dealer and went to happily buy my RSTD.

They aren't like that around here ... at least it has not been my experience.

SO.. The point of all this rambling is to urge all to be confident in your purpose and your self. Ride for the sheer pleasure of riding, Don't feel obligated to wave at every Joe on two wheels that rides by and respect the all those that take to the road in the saddle of their beloved machine.

I dunno... I can't agree with much of what you say....but I'm an odd-ball anywayz .. LOL

is you get to make new friends.....

Spend a lot of time at the dealer while your bike is getting repaired and you chat with other "stranded" riders.

I looked at a HD, was told "if you have to ask the price then you obviuosly can't afford a Harley....:

Headed to the metric dealer, bought a Vstar1100 and a Venture...

some weekends we do miss riding with our Harley buddies - but on the way home we stop by the HD shop, grab a hot dog, and tell them about the days ride..

:nanner:

Ah, the age old debate… Based on the responses, look like you hit a collective nerve.

Well, in the interest of adding my two cents…

Lot of good points made for both sides.

I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference.

Had an 05 RSTD that needed to be upgraded once the wife started riding more as she needed more comfort, space, storage, etc.

I looked at and test rode Everything over several years… Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Victory, HD, etc… (did demos at Americade, Laconia and a local dealer)

Was also on a riding vacation in TN for a week and rented a new HD Ultra for the week.

Really thought the Ultra was going to be the bike.

Ended up going with a Venture and put ~9k on last year.

Not a lot of miles by some standards, but decent for a short NH season.

In my opinion, here’s the HD plusses…

Certainly a great looking bike, and the world of accessories and chrome is based on HD.

Better, lower center of gravity than the Venture.

Fuel injected.

Outstanding ability to track in a tight pack.

Now, bear with me on this one… I’m not talking a staggered, intelligent, safe formation.

I’m talking 2x2, 40+ bikes deep, tire to tire, front/rear guards, at 70+mph.

You know the type of formation… lower rockers, full patches, etc.

Yes, I know its dangerous, it was a long time ago, and I don’t ride with those guys anymore.

However, if you want to know how well your bike tracks, put it in that environment and you will notice even the slightest drift. Another advantage of an HD, if you’re riding that tight with a bunch of other HD riders, everyone will have the same acceleration rate and torque/shift range. Very important when riding that tight. Now, is it a factor for most of us? no, but it is a Harley +.

Drawbacks:

HOT ! a 1700 with air cooling? Really?

I was riding the Natchez Trace Trail in TN on a 70 degree day and burning up.

What happens on a hot, humid day in NH summer?

Actually, I can tell you… every bike week in Laconia, there is inevitably a number of HDs pulled over to the side of the rode, shut down so they cool off. Once in a while you hear the sickening KLUNK of an engine run too hot too long.

Tighter riding 2 up. I’m not that tall, 6’, and the wife is small, 5’4”, but she was right on top of me on the Ultra. With the Venture, I can’t even tell she’s back there.

Maintenance. ½ of the guys I ride with run HD. Most expect engine rebuilds at 30-40k miles.

30k miles? Some of the guys on this site put that on in a year. From what I’ve heard on this site, the Venture hits 100k without breaking a sweat. I like the sound of that.

Cost both initial purchase and maintenance cost.

If HD, then cost = +50 to +100% of everyone else.

Now, there are a few things I’d like to see fixed on the Venture… (nothing new here…)

Carbs? Tape deck? Need I elaborate?

The HD attitude… run into it more times that I care to admit. Bike week in Laconia can be downright painful. I can’t count the number of times HD guys have approached me to ask me about my bike only to back away once they realize it’s a Venture. And yes, although I am tolerated at Merideth/Laconia HD (where many of the week’s activities are based), I wouldn’t say I’m “welcomed”.

Been asked to leave several HD stores, but that’s another story.

Have brought friends to/from HD service appointments countless times.

Often get greeted with a wise remark from sales folk such as “ready to upgrade yet?”

Well, lets see, which bike is being serviced, and which is running? No, I’m good.

As others have said, its all about what works for you.

Should you go HD, I wish you all the best, they certainly do have a following.

As you had stated, it really shouldn’t matter, its all 2 wheels.

I wave/talk to anyone on 2 wheels. Life is too short.

I wish you all the best in your decision.

Bob

Oh come on guys, that was just my opinion. No need to get ugly. In fact, I traded my 2008 HD Lowrider for an 07 RSTD because I always wanted a HD, but once I got it, I quickly found out that it was not what I wanted that's after spending about $3K worth of accessories. The RSTD is a much better riding bike and I enjoy riding it however, if I had the $$$ I know I would up grade to a Goldwing.

I'm sorry if my comment made anyone angry, but I thought this was a open form and all opinions are welcomed, perhaps I'm wrong.

Mark