IGNORED

1984 back fired

oldgoat

well today it got up to 48 out side so i thought i would go give the old venture a try. i got it out of the garage. fired her up she idels rough as i knew she would. i put sea foam in it back in october a whole can to a full tank of gas but due to knee problem i never ran the heck out of it. well i was going to take it to a friends garage today for work on brakes , put on rotors , brake pads and tires. so i tokk it out for a 25 mile ride darn thing just couldnt get past 60 mph?? i got into town and pulled up to the stop sign. while letting off the gas. it backfired like a 410 shot gun. i swear i saw the lady in the cross walk duck. well after the back fire she seemed to smooth out some?? so i took her back out on highway and hit 70 mph?? then she started to bog down? well i got her home and went duh ! james you didnt put the new plugs in did ya? nope i forgot. chalk it up to want to ride syndrom. its now back in the bro inlaws garage as my friends apendix ruputred and hes now in the hospital. so no work done on it. me think its time for old goat to learn on this bike. so im going to check the oil make sure no gas in it. then do the plugs. and give her another try. i have to be carefull as brakes are not verry good on the bike. but i want to get her running fair to good. then up to freebirds maintenance day. to work out the bugs?? any thing else i should check out??

You may want to just clean the plugs until you run the rest of the seafoam thru as it will tend to foul out the plugs as it loosens all the built up crud. After you use up the rest of the tankful THEN put in the new plugs! Also, how old are your plug wires???

bongobob as for plug wires im going to say been on the bike since it was born in 84? i bought this bike from a guy who just didnt take care of it after he went to a harley. last service records i can find in a book he had in the trunk was second gear fixed?? and im not to sure about that? it now has 77,000 miles and thank god has not had a second gear issue to me? this man also never knew what wash and wax was?. so far here is what i have done to it.

installed new air filter.

bought new dunlop tires to be installed

bought use good rotors all of them to be installed less then 12,000 miles on them.

new pads to be installed

installed new wind shield. bought a used left mirror.

bought a nice used false tank from a member here i would rate it a good 7 out of ten

the bike is just like waiting for me to bring her back to running good.

i did run the bike when i got it for around 3000 miles

i used stable when i stored it that year then i came to this wonderfull site. and heard about seafoam. and thats where im at. i should also look for where the fuel filter is as im betting it might be gumming up?

im thinking if i get it to freebirds this year.

a good battery cable update.

seeif we can relocate the tci box?

any any other good ideas that might pop up