IGNORED

My First Real Evaluation

OK, so as some of you know, I bought my bike on December 11th. I brought it straight home on a 30 degree day and parked it in the garage. It sat there for more than 2 weeks without being moved and although I did have a couple of 5, 10 and 20 miles rides (and maybe the longest was 60 miles)...I still didn't really get a chance to "enjoy" the bike. And frankly, I was pretty disappointed with my decision to trade my 6 year old VTX in on this RSV. I had 2 months of buyers remorse!!

But during the last 2 months I did do some mods on the bike. I had the seat done by Rick Butler (thank you sir), I had the back lowered with lowering links, I added risers, a stebel horn, and finally a garage button.

Today, I finally got a chance to put some SERIOUS miles on the bike...a 250 mile day (and some of the best BBQ I have had in a long, long time).

So a buddy (he rides a 950) and I rode over to Helena, AR to check out a motel that he wants to stay in during the upcoming Wild Hog Music Fest Rally on April 22-24. It's about 125 miles over there (250 miles round trip)...and a small amount of interstate (30 miles).

Today was GORGEOUS...temps in the mid 60's and sunny...just a great day for a ride.

So there's the background...now the ride.

First and foremost, after today's ride I am no longer suffering from buyer's remorse. :hihi:

The ride was very comfortable and I am starting to get used to the gearing. The power on a longer ride is much more appreciated...short rides you just can't appreciate the acceleration this bike has got. Handling was much better also on the longer ride. I am very comfortable in cornering now.

So that's the good...and really there is no bad, but just some other observations.

1. I did go over a couple of large bumps and it may have bottomed out...I don't know for sure though.

2. I really don't like the the way they have the fuel alert system set up. My F alert comes on at 147 miles and shortly thereafter the FUEL LIGHT and then the bike starves for fuel (just like everyone here has said)...and I am afraid of how far I can go on the reserve.

3. The audio system, CB, my Zumo and then the Speakers, Helmet with Edsets and my Shure Earbuds -

I could never get the CB to work the way I wanted it too...maybe I just need to work on it some more. I rarely heard anyone on it (when I was on the interstate), and no one would return my radio check (no, I wasn't annoying :no-no-no:).

I have mixed feelings about the speakers on the bike. Sometimes they aren't too bad, and other times they just sound real "tinny" and "hollow". A lot depends on the genre of music and of course the quality of the signal or mp3 playing.

I purchased a Scorpion Helmet (3/4) and sent it off to Edsets to have their helmet speaker system installed into the helmet. To be honest, I believe the fairing speakers sound better (to me) than the Edsets. The Edsets had virtually no bass and sound volume was not very impressive. The hookup, and utility for the other features of the headset are probably fine, but for me the sound out of the speakers left a little to be desired.

Later in the ride I plugged in my adapter to be able to use my earbuds to hear the audio system including my Zumo 660 directions and the MP3 player on it. WOW...what a beautiful difference it made. I had used these same earbuds with this same Zumo on my other bike and the earbuds were directly connected to the Zumo...sound was still very good, but the volume was always at MAX levels. Now with the Zumo being played through the RSV audio system, the AMP makes this MUCH better quality and volume.

If I had assign a number grade to the three options of listening to audio on the RSV, I would rate them in the following order on a 10 point scale.

Fairing Speakers - 4

Edset Helmet Speakers - 2

Earbuds (Shure or otherwise) - 8

I'm a pretty happy camper right now. Not ecstatic yet, but happy. I hope that most of issues I have had with the bike are just not being familiar with how the bike handles and operates. I got time!

Thanks to everyone for your help and I do appreciate the tips and suggestions many of you have offered.

Wally

What is the Air Pressures on Forks and Rear shocks?

Depend on how you ride you can get 40 to 55 miles on reserve. What I did was run it until Fuel Light came on or started to starve for Fuel then headed to Wal-Mart and purchased a plastic 1 gallon fuel container. Now my 2nd Gen Fuel Gauge also "trips to 0.0" then starts counting miles. Ran her Dry at 52 miles later. Added 1 Gallon I had in trunk and went to Gas Station and filled up.

The BEST feature here is the "Search Button" there is plenty of information on much of what you mentioned above.

Go on a 400 to 500 mile day then see how your Non-RSV or RSTD Buddies feel about the ride compared to you :)

Good Luck

That gas mileage doesn't sound right to me. I went on a 200 mile ride today and my fuel gauge didn't start counting down until it hit 185 miles. I have ridden my bike 225 miles on one tank and put 5.2 gals of gas in it when I filled up. The tank holds 6 gals but unless you take your time and let the gas settle you probably are running on 5.5 or less in the tank.

As for the bottoming out I have heard of o lot of people on all kinds of bikes that bottom out after they have their bike lowered so I would say that would be normal. Fortunately you can play with the air adjustment and may be able to get most of that out.

I too think the mileage is off a little, but I am not that worried right now...I only have 685 miles on the bike and next week I get the first service out of the way...I assume that as the breakin occurs, gas mileage will go up.

Also...I did go ahead and "wind" it out a little on the interstate...hit 90mph (actual GPS indicated) a couple of times. :hihi:

I too think the mileage is off a little, but I am not that worried right now...I only have 685 miles on the bike and next week I get the first service out of the way...I assume that as the breakin occurs, gas mileage will go up.

Also...I did go ahead and "wind" it out a little on the interstate...hit 90mph (actual GPS indicated) a couple of times. :hihi:

Remember, you're pushing a LOT of frontal area there. Fuel economy will drop significantly as speed increases, especially at speeds above 65. The faster you go, the less mileage you'll get...just sayin':no-no-no:

When I was out west last July I was on a stretch of road that was long, hot (around 100 that day) and near 8000 feet. Both saddlebags loaded, trunk loaded and luggage rack full of stuff and the fastest I could get it was 110 by Yamahas speedo. The HD Screaming Eagle said his speedo was reading 105 and it was topped out also. Yeeee Haaaa!!!

I must ahve gotten the wrong idea--I thought the leveling links raised the rear about and inch, that's why I have not put them on.

"Leveling Links" will RAISE the rear of the bike up by an inch or so.. Just enough to change the rake and trail of the bike to something more manageable and still be very safe.

Its a 30 minute job to install and a life time to enjoy.. if you don't like it or find it too high in the rear, it's another 30 minute job to change them back to OEM.. Please do yourself the favour and at least try them out.. what a difference they make.

If the extra height is the major concern for you, it's not that bad. I have a 30 inch inseam and easily manage the bike and even able to put my heels down.. (mind you, I have to try hard)..

"do it"

OK, so as some of you know, I bought my bike on December 11th. I brought it straight home on a 30 degree day and parked it in the garage. It sat there for more than 2 weeks without being moved and although I did have a couple of 5, 10 and 20 miles rides (and maybe the longest was 60 miles)...I still didn't really get a chance to "enjoy" the bike. And frankly, I was pretty disappointed with my decision to trade my 6 year old VTX in on this RSV. I had 2 months of buyers remorse!!

But during the last 2 months I did do some mods on the bike. I had the seat done by Rick Butler (thank you sir), I had the back lowered with lowering links, I added risers, a stebel horn, and finally a garage button.

Today, I finally got a chance to put some SERIOUS miles on the bike...a 250 mile day (and some of the best BBQ I have had in a long, long time).

So a buddy (he rides a 950) and I rode over to Helena, AR to check out a motel that he wants to stay in during the upcoming Wild Hog Music Fest Rally on April 22-24. It's about 125 miles over there (250 miles round trip)...and a small amount of interstate (30 miles).

Today was GORGEOUS...temps in the mid 60's and sunny...just a great day for a ride.

So there's the background...now the ride.

First and foremost, after today's ride I am no longer suffering from buyer's remorse. :hihi:

The ride was very comfortable and I am starting to get used to the gearing. The power on a longer ride is much more appreciated...short rides you just can't appreciate the acceleration this bike has got. Handling was much better also on the longer ride. I am very comfortable in cornering now.

So that's the good...and really there is no bad, but just some other observations.

1. I did go over a couple of large bumps and it may have bottomed out...I don't know for sure though.

2. I really don't like the the way they have the fuel alert system set up. My F alert comes on at 147 miles and shortly thereafter the FUEL LIGHT and then the bike starves for fuel (just like everyone here has said)...and I am afraid of how far I can go on the reserve.

3. The audio system, CB, my Zumo and then the Speakers, Helmet with Edsets and my Shure Earbuds -

I could never get the CB to work the way I wanted it too...maybe I just need to work on it some more. I rarely heard anyone on it (when I was on the interstate), and no one would return my radio check (no, I wasn't annoying :no-no-no:).

I have mixed feelings about the speakers on the bike. Sometimes they aren't too bad, and other times they just sound real "tinny" and "hollow". A lot depends on the genre of music and of course the quality of the signal or mp3 playing.

I purchased a Scorpion Helmet (3/4) and sent it off to Edsets to have their helmet speaker system installed into the helmet. To be honest, I believe the fairing speakers sound better (to me) than the Edsets. The Edsets had virtually no bass and sound volume was not very impressive. The hookup, and utility for the other features of the headset are probably fine, but for me the sound out of the speakers left a little to be desired.

Later in the ride I plugged in my adapter to be able to use my earbuds to hear the audio system including my Zumo 660 directions and the MP3 player on it. WOW...what a beautiful difference it made. I had used these same earbuds with this same Zumo on my other bike and the earbuds were directly connected to the Zumo...sound was still very good, but the volume was always at MAX levels. Now with the Zumo being played through the RSV audio system, the AMP makes this MUCH better quality and volume.

If I had assign a number grade to the three options of listening to audio on the RSV, I would rate them in the following order on a 10 point scale.

Fairing Speakers - 4

Edset Helmet Speakers - 2

Earbuds (Shure or otherwise) - 8

I'm a pretty happy camper right now. Not ecstatic yet, but happy. I hope that most of issues I have had with the bike are just not being familiar with how the bike handles and operates. I got time!

Thanks to everyone for your help and I do appreciate the tips and suggestions many of you have offered.

Wally

Welcome to the RSV Wally.. I bought my 2006 used in 2008 as a standby while my beloved 2005 VStar was being overhauled. The Midnight Venture was being sold at a price no one could refuse so I jumped on it and planned to sell it later when my VStar got back on the road later that summer..

Its a big bike compared to the VStar but OMG, what a bike =)

One thing you'll want to do is explore the Rev Limiter on this bike.. Once you know where it is within various gears and what to expect and feel when or before you hit the rev limiter, this lazy touring bike become one heck of a bronco.. Wow, some of the lads here urged to to discover my Rev Limiter and rediscover the bike.. WOW.. what a difference it makes. Rick Butler's seat is one heck of an investment towards the enjoyment of this bike.. Thank Rick!

You say you have LOWERING LINKS in the rear of your bike?? I hope you mean "leveling" links.. Lowering the rear of your bike will compound the difficulties of handling this top heavy bike. Leveling Links raises the rear of the bike just enough to change the rake and trail of the bike's geometry to now make it so much more easier to handle and such.. If "height" is an issue, then you lower the front of the bike.. there's actually an article on here somewhere about lowering the trees onto the tubes to do somewhat the same thing as leveling links..

The fuel alert system leaves a lot to be desired.. Mine is akin to yours where the warning is so short it may as well just go to reserve right away.. However, you'll get used to pulling in sooner to get fuel and it no longer becomes an issue. I'm one of those people who hates niggling on the highway over whether or not I'll make it to the next fuel stop.. I find it takes away from the enjoyment of riding. Fill up and be happy. Your mileage will differ depending on how you ride, the wind conditions and how fast you're going as well..

How much do I enjoy my RSV? Well my beloved VStar is still waiting to be completed.. I do dust it off once in while when I'm tinkering on the RSV.. (I told the wife I was waiting for special parts to arrive before I can finish putting it back together.. ;)