IGNORED

DVD/IPOD Dumb question .....

Iowawegian

You all know I'm an idiot when it comes to technology so here's another one to throw at you.....

I bought an IPOD shuffle, you know the small one that just plays music, to listen to while riding behind the hubby...

Anyway....I know how to purchase and download tunes from the istore....but...

is it possible to put music on my ipod (shuffle) from a dvd?:think:

Ex: I just purchased Elton John's Dream Ticket 4 DVD package. The problem is, that same music isn't available on a cd.

(Now just so you know how worthless we are when it comes to technology....my son hooked up a surround system to our tv that has a built in dvd player and we still can't figure out how to play a dvd on it)

(I'm so thankful I can't see you rolling your eyes when you read this, but I really appreciate your help)

the only way to take music from the dvd is to download the dvd onto your ipod (i have the ipod touch) which does play video but the music itself no you cant seperate the tracks from the movie portion but i have done the library thing myself it works if thats your only alteritive

My ipod doesn't have video at all so I might be out of luck.....

I just had my heart set on Elton John's Live at Ephesus rendition of Rocket Man. It's unbelivable to listen to and is so much better than any other Elton John cd version I've listened to.

Why can't things be easy?

I can't speak to the Shuffle but I have the larger classic iPod and would expect the method to work the same. Use Itunes which is free and meant to be used to put music on the iPod, create playlists and take music from a CD and put it into iTunes on your PC. It's quite easy to use. With an Internet connection iTunes will connect to the online Apple store where music can be purchased and downloaded. Go to http://www.apple.com/itunes/ and read about it.

I can't speak to the Shuffle but I have the larger classic iPod and would expect the method to work the same. Use Itunes which is free and meant to be used to put music on the iPod, create playlists and take music from a CD and put it into iTunes on your PC. It's quite easy to use. With an Internet connection iTunes will connect to the online Apple store where music can be purchased and downloaded. Go to http://www.apple.com/itunes/ and read about it.

Yep, got the playlist, can download my CD's, purchase i tunes.....but this is my problem...

"I just had my heart set on Elton John's Live at Ephesus rendition of Rocket Man. It's unbelivable to listen to and is so much better than any other Elton John cd version I've listened to."

This rendition only comes in DVD not cd format.

I think I'm out of luck on this one!

Don't know if anyone else appreciates Elton....but if you haven't seen it, it's on utube. It's 10:33 long but wow.....what a preformance!!

So it's like a live performance, not just music. Sorry, that went over my head. :buttkick:

Just a shot in the dark: assuming the computer has one, have you put the DVD into your PC and looked at the files on it? They might be usable for iTunes to get the music from as it does handle video.

So it's like a live performance, not just music. Sorry, that went over my head. :buttkick:

Just a shot in the dark: assuming the computer has one, have you put the DVD into your PC and looked at the files on it? They might be usable for iTunes to get the music from as it does handle video.

Haven't put it in the puter yet...just ordered the dvd set today...hopefully it will be here in a couple of days!!

If you have any video editing software then you can rip the dvd to your computer and import the video that has the song you want. Once in the video editing software you can separate the audio track from the video track and save it as an mp3 which you could then put on your ipod. You can use a program called DvD Shrink to get the DvD to your computer and then there is a free program that will convert from video to mp3.

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/guides/dvd/extract-audio-from-video-to-mp3.htm

Hope this helps.

Wayne

A lower tech approach I have use to copy a number of cassettes was just to connect the component out of the tape deck to the computer. Any number of applications can make a MP3 of the track. I like audio hijack and audacity.

My motorcycles no longer support cassettes.:stirthepot:

First, DON'T get limewire. Most computers I have to fix from viruses were infected through limewire. AND downloading music from limewire is illegal in the USA. Many people that were sued by the RIAA were tracked through limewire. Stay far, far, away from limewire.

Now, what you want to do is not really hard, it just takes software.... a commercial program I have used is

http://www.imtoo.com/dvd-audio-ripper.html

this works well. Problem is DVD's are not like CD's they are not seperated into tracks, you will get 1 long mp3 file that is the audio from the whole DVD. The above program will let you cut it into tracks.

http://lifehacker.com/322151/rip-audio-from-a-dvd-to-mp3-with-free-dvd-mp3-ripper

The above is a free version that is much more "finicky" and requires someone that is computer savvy.

Sometimes it's not easy either, because some DVD makes put protections on DVD's to make them not work on a computer. if that is the case then you need to buy a program called ANYDVD to fix what the dvd company broke on their dvd to make your computer not want to read it. That is because companies like Disney and MGM think all people are thieves and want to put the DVD on the internet... Almost nobody wants to do that, most want to do what you want, to listen to the audio or watch the video on their own time in their own way.

good luck!

:happy34:

I know this does not answer your question but I thought you might like this link to the performance of Rocket Man live at Ephesus as broadcasted on You Tube. You could copy and paste this link to your desktop and play it anytime you like from your computer.

There is software that will let you capture You Tube broadcasts. :080402gudl_prv:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObV-6BiMtT8]YouTube- Rocket Man by Elton John Live at Ephesus[/ame]

I've been using their site for a couple of years now and have transfered DVDs, youtube, CDs, etc. I also, using the ION turntable from COSTCO, converted my vinle to digital and then into MP-3 format, or any other format to shove into i-pod or Zune or even ringtones. Great site. Denny