hi again,i was wondering about the rear suspension.i have an 83 venture with the manual air valve.i have been reading about the air pressure,different people ride with different air pressure.i was checking the bike and it seem to not have any air in the rear.i can tell when i get on it, it seem to be low.i hear it squeak like its all the way down on the shock i guess.i want to try to put air in it but not to much to hurt anything.i put a little in the front and i could see it rise real fast.i was wondering about the back.the wife wants to ride and i dont want her first ride to be bumpy and bottoming out.

hi again,i was wondering about the rear suspension.i have an 83 venture with the manual air valve.i have been reading about the air pressure,different people ride with different air pressure.i was checking the bike and it seem to not have any air in the rear.i can tell when i get on it, it seem to be low.i hear it squeak like its all the way down on the shock i guess.i want to try to put air in it but not to much to hurt anything.i put a little in the front and i could see it rise real fast.i was wondering about the back.the wife wants to ride and i dont want her first ride to be bumpy and bottoming out.

I cant help you with that as I have the royale, but if you go to forum on the top left, then look for 1st gen tech stuff, you should be able to find the manual posted there.

My back shock groans from time to time usually at certain temps. so it may be nothing for you to be concerned about.

here is the link to click on and then scrool down for the tech library http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Brian

The service manual has ranges for the air pressure on the '83 - '85 Venture;

Front = 7 - 21 psi

Rear = 7 - 85 psi

I found these under "Class Functions" on page 28 of this;

XVZ12L/KC2

XVZ12DL/DK2

Service Manual 41R-28197-10

The service manual above was downloaded from this web site.

use the progressive pump, doesn't take a lot of pumps to build it up. The groaning you're hearing is probably the lower shock link bushings, they get dryed out and need regreased. I installed zerk fittings on mine to ease the situation in the future.

Front = 7 - 21 psi

Rear = 7 - 85 psi

XVZ12L/KC2

XVZ12DL/DK2

I forgot to mention . . .

My '85 has stock forks and rear shock, my wife and I go about 400lbs + a few things in the saddlebags. 50psi rear and 16psi front seems to do it for me.

Before I went to Progressives in the front, I used to run about 11psi. I run about 30psi in the rear one up and 50/60psi with two if not too loaded. I also set my shock on 4 as that compensates some for a high mileage rear shock. If you are getting some groans out of the rear, you need to take the linkage loose and put grease fittings in as Dano suggested. The concern is the more dry of grease it gets, the more wear you will have on the bushings. Not a big deal, but a bit of work.

RandyA

what the deal with progressive front springs or shocks.are they better than the stock ones.alot of riders on the site like them just wondering

Two things come to mind;

1) The stock springs are worn out and possibly no longer match rates.

2) Progressives are a combination spring with softer coils at one end.

The result is the front end responds better to small bumps.

Front = 7 - 21 psi

Rear = 7 - 85 psi

XVZ12L/KC2

XVZ12DL/DK2

That's interesting. I never paid any attention to it before, but my manual says the same thing. I run the CLASS pressures on the auto/hi setting since I pack a lot of weight on the bike, and the front stops pumping at 17psi and the rear stops at 71psi. Never tried to go any higher as I figured that was it. I wonder if I can go higher using the manual setting???

I agree with Dano......the squeeking you're hearing is probabley the bushings have dried out. Although I haven't done it yet I would advise installation of the grease fittings.......barring that pull the bushings clean them up and grease them.....that I did do and it made a significant difference in the ride not to mention the sound.