IGNORED

Not your usual project bike

Brenda H

Not sure if anyone would be interested in this but I thought I'd mention it to the group.

Some time back I got curious about one of the sponsors for one of the NASCAR teams, Copart. One of the things they do is handle auctions for wrecked/salvage vehicles. The selection of bikes that go thru the sales covers everything from 2 wheels on up, any kind of bike you care to name, atvs, etc. I've been kinda keeping an eye out for possibly finding something for myself as some of the bikes they sell have no apparent damage and are clear titled in addition to the salvage titled bikes.

One of the bikes at the Longview, Texas facility is a 2009 RSV, the golden sand [whatever Yam. calls it] color. It has less than 1700 miles on it and has a Tx salvage title. The bike has been laid down on the right side. The passenger backrest looks like it's had a bite taken out of it. Right side spotlight is broken. Serious abrasions on the front fairing, windscreen, and the guard on the right front floorboard [whatever that is called :)] . Little to no damage from the front floorboards on back that I can see outside of the passenger backrest. I don't have enough hands on experience with these bikes to be able to tell if anything else is damaged. I can't tell if there is any damage outside of the obvious. The listing shows repairs at $10k and says that the bike will start and run. Current high bid is $3600 with the sale ending date estimated as being around March 1st.

If I had the cash, I'd take Squidley and his better half along for a lil drive and check it out but the bank account won't stretch that far right now. Depending on what else is damaged, it could be an interesting buy to say the least. I'm posting this here on the chance one of the group might be interested. There are a fair sized collection of pics on the Copart site. Unless you have a dealer's license or something similar, the bike may have to be bought thru a third party [i think Tx law requires it] so additional fees would apply. Copart has people/companies that handle that so it should not be a problem.

The bike has my curiosity going. Just wish that I could do something about it!!

Like mentioned it's all in how much REAL damage there is. We could get together and go see it, perhaps take some pics? I can't afford to do anything with it, but it might be a good project for someone that is in better financial shape than myself. Let me know Brenda and we could pursue it.

I've got no problem taking Brad and Lonna along for a trip if someone is interested in the bike and would be willing to cover expenses [gas, lunch, & a lil extra]. I have looked at doing something like this before when one of the Ark. facilities had a bike I was interested in. Fees for the third party on that was something like $200 and a percentage of the sale price if I'm remembering correctly. Total fees would have been less than $300 depending on what the bike went for.

BTW the Houston outfit has a Can Am Spyder, clear title, no apparent damage, available. I'm having a serious case of "sit on the hands"!

We could get together and go see it, perhaps take some pics? I can't afford to do anything with it, but it might be a good project for someone that is in better financial shape than myself. Let me know Brenda and we could pursue it.

Edited by Brenda H

Fees for the third party on that was something like $200 and a percentage of the sale price if I'm remembering correctly.

I went back and did some checking. Pro Collision in Springdale, Ark is one of the brokers who can handle third party sales thru Copart. Their fees are as follows:

Security deposit: $400

Transaction fee: $250 OR 5% of sale price, whichever is greater

That means that any price for the bike under $5k, the total fees would be $275.

Anybody interested???