Have a 2008 VStar1300Tourer and with a combined bike, truck/trailer to allow a return through Canada in December, accumulated 14K miles on a fun Alaska to Florida and back trip. At times a center stand would have helped. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced one that could be added with minimal modification?

Although I've rode various bikes for over 45 years, this is my first belt drive machine. Managed to get a hole in the belt in the Mid-West from road debris and it was not a pleasant experience. If anyone has an antidote for that or other mechanical suggestions pertinent to this model, I sure would appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance, Peter

Hi Peter - This is Dan (your local STAr Pres, etc....).

Peter is new to forums and posting on them. The 2 things he really needs info on are:

1) An after-market centerstand for the VStar 1300 Tourer.

2) Some insight on belt driven motorcycles and middle-of-a-long-trip repair of the belt should there be a problem.

Personally, I thought the belts were pretty reliable and durable. But Peter had an issue on his trip and then fought a dealer who spent more time trying to get money out of Peter than he did trying to fix the problem in a timely manner. Seemed the dealer knew he was driving through town and thought Peter was desperate for a quick, expensive fix. The NEW bike was still under warranty. Peter - Please tell us who this dealer was. I'm sure others here know of him and his reputation.

Any thoughts guys?

Well, Peter, I have had a Vstar 1300 for almost 2 years, and it has been a fabulous bike.

That said, I don't know of *anyone* on the 1300tourer.com forum having an issue with the belt failing.

And searching the 1300tourer.com and the 1300Rider Delphi forum brought up no new results for Center Stands. Only 1 guy made them for himself, then removed them because the center stand caused issues (look, dragging, in the way)

~Bill

I have had mine going on three years now, and have not experienced a hiccup with anything on mine, it has been reliable and fun to ride. It is also my first belt drive and I find it to be superior to having a drive chain. I also own and ride an 83 Venture for touring and 2 up riding. If you find an aftermarket center stand I would also be interested, even though I dont really need it since I have a bike jack to use when I need to get the rear wheel off the ground. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the Reply and info. The Yamaha shop in Anchorage was very supportive and actually was able, after interfacing with Customer Service, to obtain a drive belt for me at no cost. As this was a $600 - $700 part, it really helped. I can't say enough good things about that shop as it seems the belt is not a warranty item. Several other sources have also mentioned this was an abnormal situation and belts are not usually damaged from any road debris. Seems the center stand is a dead end. Outside of the windshield angle, which drilling and elongating a few holes fixed. I've also really enjoyed the bike. If you haven't added lowers yet - I found those from a 1984 HD FLH mount fine. You just have to reverse them and then they fit. Thanks again for your concern, I realize this bike is a little smaller that this forum usually deals with.

Peter, I have really enjoyed my 1300! Now, it is not near the powerful Beast my RSTD is, but it has a lot of things going for it: Starts right up, super smooth ride, great gas mileage, more than enough power to cruise the freeways, etc.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you (or harborfreight.com), they sell a yellow Motorcycle Jack for $79-$89 dollars, depending when it is on sale (or their coupons)

This jack is great for the 1300, and has no problems lifting the RSTD.

Yes, lowers on the 1300 are a *must*. The airflow is such that it will bounce your noggin like a ball in a bingo shaker. I personally put on the National Cycle windshield and stainless lowers, and couldn't be happier. You can run down the road at 50mph wearing a ballcap (the normal way!) and not lose it. All but eliminates the head bob at anything less than 70mph. After that, it depends on your gear.

Join the 1300Tourer.com website for in-depth stuff on your 1300. Great bunch of guys over there as well....