Detachable Trunk Rack for RSTD - designed

words77

Does a demand for this system exist  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Does a demand for this system exist

• Yes it does
    • No, it does not
    • I would like such a system for my RSTD
    • Don't waste your time, just buy a Venture!!

I'm in the process of fabricating a detachable trunk rack for the Royal Star Tour Deluxes, 2005 up. This system will mount on the existing RSTD side rails which accomodate the existing detachable sissy bar system. It will consist of a flat rack, approximately 8x10, horizontal bars, no uprights above the rack. This will enable one to switch between using the stock detach system with a rack that attaches to the uprights on the sissy bar, allowing a soft luggage system, or switching to the trunk rack system, which would accomodate virtually any aftermarket trunks. This would allow for full detachability of both units.

In addition, I am considering construction of multiple units, if the demand exists. I know I am simply fed up with having a detachable system that does not meet my specific needs.

Feedback from fellow forum members is solicited. To be specific, If I build it, is their enough demand out there to make more than one. Any thoughts???

".... In addition, I am considering construction of multiple units, if the demand exists. I know I am simply fed up with having a detachable system that does not meet my specific needs.

Feedback from fellow forum members is solicited. To be specific, If I build it, is their enough demand out there to make more than one. Any thoughts??? ..."

Yes, hurry up I need one for my new RS

Ah, could me leather?

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

collapse_thead.gif

:happy65: I am very interested to see what you can do. I have been racking my brain trying to figure this out. Allways hoped Yamaha would step up to the plate and design something, probably cost a kings ransom though. If it looks good, I would definately be interested in procurring one from you. GOOD LUCK:fingers-crossed-emo

• 4 months later...

Will the rack you are designing work on either the RSTD or the RSV? I need a luggage rack for my RSV since I removed the trunk. I would want it to be easily removed as I would only use it when on long trips.

• 1 year later...

No Thanks, Mines been done for over a year lol. Actually, I need to send the whole thing in for chroming. If you'd like to see how it was modified from just backrest to trunk and backrest I'd be happy to show ya pics. Perhaps you can improve on it (very likely in fact lol) Have fun, I love the options of windshield, no shield, backrest, trunk, no trunk, solo seat and the list goes on. If someone could come up with a buildable version that's not too cost prohibitive then it's a GREAT idea. I love the extra storage and lights. God Bless. Mike

Edited by Mikealiasmike

• 1 month later...
No Thanks, Mines been done for over a year lol. Actually, I need to send the whole thing in for chroming. If you'd like to see how it was modified from just backrest to trunk and backrest I'd be happy to show ya pics. Perhaps you can improve on it (very likely in fact lol) Have fun, I love the options of windshield, no shield, backrest, trunk, no trunk, solo seat and the list goes on. If someone could come up with a buildable version that's not too cost prohibitive then it's a GREAT idea. I love the extra storage and lights. God Bless. Mike

who did you get the trunk from?? never thought of retro-ing the passenger back rest good idea it will have to wait till winter now though

• 1 year later...

I read your quote were you able to construct something I can use on my '05 RSTD?

Thanks

Rev D'Ray:12101:

I'm in the process of fabricating a detachable trunk rack for the Royal Star Tour Deluxes, 2005 up. This system will mount on the existing RSTD side rails which accomodate the existing detachable sissy bar system. It will consist of a flat rack, approximately 8x10, horizontal bars, no uprights above the rack. This will enable one to switch between using the stock detach system with a rack that attaches to the uprights on the sissy bar, allowing a soft luggage system, or switching to the trunk rack system, which would accomodate virtually any aftermarket trunks. This would allow for full detachability of both units.

In addition, I am considering construction of multiple units, if the demand exists. I know I am simply fed up with having a detachable system that does not meet my specific needs.

Feedback from fellow forum members is solicited. To be specific, If I build it, is their enough demand out there to make more than one. Any thoughts???

• 1 year later...