IGNORED

08 venture main switch removal

Hope this helps?

Bryan

To remove the ignition switch from the bike, it is necessary to remove the tamper-resistant (rounded head) bolts, shown in picture below. Center punch the bolts, then using a sharp bit, drill the heads off the bolts. Remove the switch and then remove the remainder of the bolts with pliers. An alternate method is to use a dremel tool to slot the heads of the bolts, then use a screw driver to remove them. New bolts will be required to reinstall the new switch.

http://venturers.org/Tech_Library/attachments/ignition_bolts.jpg

It would be a lot easier if you have the "key code" then just ask a member to make you some? :2cents:

Bryan

send me the key code to kj4v30701@gmail.com and I'll code cut you 2 keys on a standard blank with no plastic head for 15.00 includes shipping. Send me your return address info too.

Above from this post > http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44114&highlight=code&page=2

anyone with advice on how to remove the main switch on a 08 venture for replacement key to be made? i dont see any quick and painless diagram in the manual that relates directly with this.

Id really hesitate to remove that switch while its under warranty. Dealer may void it since you have to destroy those tamper proof bolts.

would love to have the key code for this bike, but.............. the lowdown on it is that it was a bank repo, auctioned on ebay, bought by me, and no owners manual ,tool kit, or anything else that would come with a bike, came with this one. and due to my procrastination, didnt get a second key made before i lost the "only " key. and after spending two days looking high and low, the quicker alternative is to just get a new key made by way of removing the switch, taking to a locksmith and starting over, lesson learned. I hope!

as recommended, i will call the local dealer to check on that warranty issue. thanks for thinking of that.

Key codes may still show up on the underside of the gas cap. :doh: Oops, gotta have the key to get the cap off, sorry 'bout that!!!

Might have a locksmith pick the lock on the cap, or maybe make a key from the trunk or saddlebag locks (if they are not locked too)

BTW, You might do a search on the post for an emergency bypass switch so you can ride it to the locksmith.

Under the lock cover on the gas cap could be viewed with a mirror (which is where the key code is on my bike).

On mine, the inside of the saddle bags under the black cover that covers the latch mechanism imprinted on the latch mechanism is the key code for the bag locks. If all of the locks are original, the codes ought to match.

Contacting the dealer to look up with VIN, etc. is also a good way to go (As Ruffy suggested)

:080402gudl_prv: