IGNORED

I'm looking for stock exhaust...cheap

I want to replace the BUB's Slip Ons that came with my '99 RSV (the previous owner put them on). I think they are just too loud and I want to go back to stock pipes. I know many people are replacing their stock pipes for BUB's, HD Road King and other after market pipes.

Is anyone looking to make back some of their cost for buying those after market pipes?

I'd offer a trade, but my BUB's are pretty old (aluminum tips not the chrome tips) and the bottom of the tips are scrapped up from taking corners real low. However - if your interested a trade is possible.

I want to replace the BUB's Slip Ons that came with my '99 RSV (the previous owner put them on). I think they are just too loud and I want to go back to stock pipes. I know many people are replacing their stock pipes for BUB's, HD Road King and other after market pipes.

Is anyone looking to make back some of their cost for buying those after market pipes?

I'd offer a trade, but my BUB's are pretty old (aluminum tips not the chrome tips) and the bottom of the tips are scrapped up from taking corners real low. However - if your interested a trade is possible.

Hi Juggler,

Depending on the mileage on the pipes, you may need to just repack them. Based on other threads, at about 10K or so miles, you need to repack the bubs.

Cheers,

Leonard

Hi Juggler,

Depending on the mileage on the pipes, you may need to just repack them. Based on other threads, at about 10K or so miles, you need to repack the bubs.

Cheers,

Leonard

Hmm... I know nothing of this repacking stuff. The BUBs website is less than useful. I know they sell baffles, but from what I can see with a flash light there are baffles in my mufflers.

Hmm... I know nothing of this repacking stuff. The BUBs website is less than useful. I know they sell baffles, but from what I can see with a flash light there are baffles in my mufflers.

Here's what I used to repack my Bub's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-x-38-MOTORCYCLE-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-PACKING-WRAP_W0QQitemZ140148216528QQihZ004QQcategoryZ35573QQcmdZViewItem

It made a big difference, especially with the whine coming from the back seat.

As for the bad looking aluminium tips, it's not hard to adapt some HD tips to the Bubs. I used their fishtail tip on mine.

Here's what I used to repack my Bub's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-x-38-MOTORCYCLE-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-PACKING-WRAP_W0QQitemZ140148216528QQihZ004QQcategoryZ35573QQcmdZViewItem

It made a big difference, especially with the whine coming from the back seat.

As for the bad looking aluminium tips, it's not hard to adapt some HD tips to the Bubs. I used their fishtail tip on mine.

Ok, please tell me what I am supposed to do with this stuff. I am still clueless on what packing means. If $10 lowers the noise levels then I'm all for it. As for the aluminum tips. I never really thought as them as bad looking. I just remember reading here that BUBs changed the tips at some point. But those fishtail tips of your look real nice.

If you still want to trade I have my stock muff taken off after couple thousand miles. I would be willing to trade.

Ok, please tell me what I am supposed to do with this stuff. I am still clueless on what packing means. If $10 lowers the noise levels then I'm all for it. As for the aluminum tips. I never really thought as them as bad looking. I just remember reading here that BUBs changed the tips at some point. But those fishtail tips of your look real nice.

Nothing to it. Just drill out the rivets that hold the tips and baffles in. Pull the tip and baffle out. I had to use a sharp chisel to get the tips to start moving. It was a bit of a chore to get them apart the first time but not too bad.

Wrap the packing around the baffle as many times as will fit back into the muffler. Use some masking tape or light wire to hold the packing on the baffle and reassemble. You can rivet everything back together or get some nice stainless screws.

Most bike shops will have the exhaust packing available but maybe not for $10. I bought two rolls but ended up only using one.

Nothing to it. Just drill out the rivets that hold the tips and baffles in. Pull the tip and baffle out. I had to use a sharp chisel to get the tips to start moving. It was a bit of a chore to get them apart the first time but not too bad.

Wrap the packing around the baffle as many times as will fit back into the muffler. Use some masking tape or light wire to hold the packing on the baffle and reassemble. You can rivet everything back together or get some nice stainless screws.

Most bike shops will have the exhaust packing available but maybe not for $10. I bought two rolls but ended up only using one.

Ok, for now I am going to try this re-packing trick. Thanks for the help Gary. And thanks for the offers Tartan and kbran. I'll experiment with this repacking first.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KitCarson
Ok, for now I am going to try this re-packing trick. Thanks for the help Gary. And thanks for the offers Tartan and kbran. I'll experiment with this repacking first.

Hey if you cannot get the repacking done.....it is pretty simple and I also like to use stainless steel screws to secure the baffles back in.......but anyways, I have roadhouse slip ons ordered......waiting.......waiting....I built a new house with a 3 car garage......figured I could have one bay for me...my bike....place to set up a commercial lift......shoot.......the garage is full.....jeep sits in my lift area........how one gets so much junk is beyond me.......Sandy my wife is a packrat.......I try to sneak stuff out in the back of the service truck but she is wise to me and checks up on me sometimes lol!! So if my mufflers ever get here....you are welcome to mine just for shipping.......I will never use the stock ones.......they are just a mite tame for someone who is still part teenager. Kit