IGNORED

Passing Lamp Alignment

BikeDaft2

For those that have fitted the passing lamps to their bikes, I'm wondering if you have any general guidance regards positioning the passing lamps correctly and aligning them.......

Apologies if there is a post already regards this, but I was unable to locate it.

I had this info saved.....not sure where from or who posted it.

The proper alignment is get the bike on a level surface and measure up from the ground up to the center of the light.

Move the bike 25 feet from a garage door and turn on the lights, making sure it's still level.

Take 4" off your measurement and aim the center of your lights there.

This will give you proper alignment of the driving lights and not blind oncoming traffic.

Keith

For those that have fitted the passing lamps to their bikes, I'm wondering if you have any general guidance regards positioning the passing lamps correctly and aligning them

It's kind of a pain to get to the bolt that mounts/moves the lamp housing behind the lamp. No science here, I just snugged the lamps down where I could move them but they wouldn't vibrate loose. At night I drove down a side street with no traffic. Taped a round piece of cardboard over the headlight, moved each passing lamp beam where I wanted it, removed the cardboard. Drove home, removed the lamps to tighten down the bolts.

I had this info saved.....not sure where from or who posted it.

The proper alignment is get the bike on a level surface and measure up from the ground up to the center of the light.

Move the bike 25 feet from a garage door and turn on the lights, making sure it's still level.

Take 4" off your measurement and aim the center of your lights there.

This will give you proper alignment of the driving lights and not blind oncoming traffic.

Keith

Keiths advise is right in there, when I installed my driving lights the instructions said the same thing except to aim the beam 2" lower than the height of the light from the ground.

personally, I pulled my bike about 10 -15 feet from the garage door. Aimed them each a little lower and to the outside of the headlamp beam ( one on each side, of course). seems to have worked fine. no oncomers flashing brights and I can see great.

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks everyone that has responded. I'm waiting on arrival of a replacement lamp as the kit when it arrived had a lamp broken. I'm in the UK and fortunately the dealer in the states ( Cliff Rue ) has been good and is sending me a replacement. Hopefully this time it will be ok.

Thanks for all the tips regards positioning these and setting the correct height. I must admit they are quite awkward to adjust.