IGNORED

possible "potato" run?

pakidaho

Ok folks here it is. Last fall while at the Cody Round up the notion of a possible "run for the Potato" was brought up and some interest was expressed. Potato equates with Idaho...

Dates were tossed around, Memorial day week end was suggested, the only problem with that date is that Idaho weather is quite unpredictable during that weekend, (usually accompanied with rain)

We have room for camping, we can rent porta-potties, we are twenty miles south of Salmon Idaho right on the river, very nice atmosphere, some excellent scenic rides. Seems there was a post recently regarding name the five best states to ride... come to Idaho and find out for yourself you might add Idaho to your favorites.

We brew our own Cerveca and would be excited to make a special brew just for this event. We grow our own tobacco for you cigar lovers and are always excited to share. Our local Yamaha dealer has expressed an interest in sponsoring some of the ride...BBQ, etc..

One of the events we enjoyed most at the Cody run was the last night dinner where we all pretty much contributed to a communal meal. We found the relaxed atmosphere and jovial inclusion enhanced the whole experience. With that said, we would like to create a similar atmosphere. This can range from Fish taco feed to a large scale BBQ; there are numerous possibilities depending on expressed interest. (For you that have not experienced fish tacos..you have been missing out)

Feed Back PLEASE!:hurts:

Teri n Erv

that sounds like a good idea! Let me know how things are going with this idea,. What are your thoughts to possibly tying this together in some way with Kruisn the Kootenays as Nelson BC is only an hours ride north of the Idaho border, and while Salmon is still a good ride south, perhaps we could make it a tour for those that want with the events a few days apart or something like that.

If I can help out some way please let me know and Ill try to lend a hand.

Brian

Edited by friesman

man that sounds fun!!! wish I still lived up there ( In the summer ) your right, ID and MT have some great areas to ride. I`ll make it back up there some day....

Ok folks here it is. Last fall while at the Cody Round up the notion of a possible "run for the Potato" was brought up and some interest was expressed. Potato equates with Idaho...

Dates were tossed around, Memorial day week end was suggested, the only problem with that date is that Idaho weather is quite unpredictable during that weekend, (usually accompanied with rain)

We have room for camping, we can rent porta-potties, we are twenty miles south of Salmon Idaho right on the river, very nice atmosphere, some excellent scenic rides. Seems there was a post recently regarding name the five best states to ride... come to Idaho and find out for yourself you might add Idaho to your favorites.

We brew our own Cerveca and would be excited to make a special brew just for this event. We grow our own tobacco for you cigar lovers and are always excited to share. Our local Yamaha dealer has expressed an interest in sponsoring some of the ride...BBQ, etc..

One of the events we enjoyed most at the Cody run was the last night dinner where we all pretty much contributed to a communal meal. We found the relaxed atmosphere and jovial inclusion enhanced the whole experience. With that said, we would like to create a similar atmosphere. This can range from Fish taco feed to a large scale BBQ; there are numerous possibilities depending on expressed interest. (For you that have not experienced fish tacos..you have been missing out)

Feed Back PLEASE!:hurts:

Teri n Erv

My wife and I spent a night last summer in the Bed and Breakfast just outside Salmon. Then road over to Redfish Lake for a couple of days of great riding and then down to Boise to see kids and grandkids. Our summer is quickly filling up but would be interested if it fits on the calendar.

Norm

Some more information for a potential run. For those folks who wish to lodge somewhere nearby there are a few bed & breakfasts close by as well as several motels. Negotiated rates could be set with enough interest. http://www.greyhouseinn.com/

http://www.hotelsalmon.com/ http://salmonmotel.com/

There are several activities in the area. A day ride would take us to the Big Hole Battlefield. As was mentioned, Red Fish Lake and Stanley are close by for another scenic ride that could take us through the Sawtooth Mountain Range and Sun Valley, Idaho. Lewis and Clark passed through this valley, and Salmon is known as the birthplace of Sacajawea. Here is a link to some of the things that can be seen around the area...

http://salmonchamber.com/visitors-local-attractions.htm

Highway 93 has some amazing scenery and runs from the Canadian border clear to Las Vegas. http://protophoto.com/subject.html?subject_id=180

It is a worthy stop and the idea of combining it with the Nelson, BC run sounds like a great idea! The dates could work well if it were combined.

Teri and Erv

One thing to consider when setting the date for the Salmon Idaho run.

The International Rally this year is Jul 12-13-14.

Unfortunately, I know that I can not miss the 5 year homecoming at Potato Creek. So, I would need to take a pass on anything scheduled in close proximity to those dates.

So, because the internet is not burning up with feedback and ideas for the possible Spud Run, what we have received is appreciated and taken into consideration. The Redheaded Boss and I, her ever faithful minion, have concluded that Memorial Day Weekend as per original discussions is the weekend to shoot for.

For the Nelson Run, anyone or group headed North, passing through Challis, would offend us if they did not at least stop in and say "Hi." We would certainly be happy to host anyone. Two's a party, more is a SHINDIG!

Furthermore, anyone riding Highway 93 from Challis to Salmon, anytime, any run, really ought to stop in, have a bite to eat, camp if they wish, and hang out for some company and good conversation. If we know ahead of time we can work with local hotels for discount if camping is not your thing.

If you plan to stop in for a Spud Run, it would be nice so you can let us know so we know how much food, gnoshies and beverages to have on hand.

We will continue to post items of interest as we go along, giving more info as we have it.

Teri and Erv

• 2 months later...

Teri and Irv,

Memorial Day is pretty risky..I am healing up from a shoulder/neck injury ,I hope to be ridin by then..If you need some help let me know.. I am not far away..Sounds like alot of fun.

R2m

Edited by Ride2much

What a beautiful area to ride. Couple years ago riding to the west coast we stayed in Dilloin Mt and headed north on 278 to 43 west to 93 North to Lolo then headed west on 12 all the way to the coast. Some of the best riding on the entire trip. Idaho is breathtaking. One of the stops along 12 in Idaho.

headed west on 12 all the way to the coast. Some of the best riding on the entire trip. Idaho is breathtaking. One of the stops along 12 in Idaho.

I took a ride to the left coast in 2000. Ran the big road to Missoula, and then took Hiway 12 the rest of the way. I still remember the road sign when starting down the west side of the mountain. It was the curvy road sign, and said "next 60 miles". Followed a river all the way down the hill.

US 12 runs through WI, so I just had to stop in Ocean City and take a picture of the "US 12 END" sign.

Thought I'd go take a picture of the other end just for kicks, till I found out it ends in Detroit. I'll pass on that.

Later, Scooter Bob

Thanks, we will probably enlist your help and company! Sorry to hear about your injury, so we pray for a speedy recovery and we just KNOW that riding will be the best therapy! :smile5:

We think it will be a good time!

Erv and Teri

Teri and Irv,

Memorial Day is pretty risky..I am healing up from a shoulder/neck injury ,I hope to be ridin by then..If you need some help let me know.. I am not far away..Sounds like alot of fun.

R2m

Russell,

You going to try to hit Idaho??? If not, the porter we brewed may be gone...lol.

Teri and Erv

One thing to consider when setting the date for the Salmon Idaho run.

The International Rally this year is Jul 12-13-14.

Unfortunately, I know that I can not miss the 5 year homecoming at Potato Creek. So, I would need to take a pass on anything scheduled in close proximity to those dates.

Gunboat,

We hope to see you next year. We know it will be a good time, and we look forward to creating a tradition and something to look forward to. Take care! We will keep folks posted.

Erv and Teri

hi teri

sounds like a plan for next year for me. this year is going to be tough, i don't think i'll be doing any rides out of texas this year. but next year things should be better.

reguards

don c.

• 1 month later...

Memorial Day Weekend is quickly approaching. We are looking for a head count so we know how many to expect. So, if you are in, please give us a holler and let us know! We are looking forward to a good time, good people, and starting some new traditions.

Erv and Teri:thumbsup2:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we woke up to three inches of snow, the wet heavy stuff-the kind that breaks trees, this morning. The noaa.gov forecast the coming Memorial Day Weekend suggests strong chance of rain and cool temperatures each day. We intend to be here, but don't necessarily recommend anyone driving motorcycles on the river highway in this type of inclement weather. Anyone riding on highway 93 feel free to stop in for a good meal and a home brew or hot cup of coffee anytime...

Erv and Teri :snow2:

Break out the snow shovel Erv. We have rain predicted thru next friday so it should be rolling over you this weekend. Had half a mind to take the ride up there, but now I think I'll pass... :) IT'S ALL THE VOLCANO'S FAULT.......