IGNORED

87 Venture Royal Cruise Control problem

Hey guys, ole Blondie has developed a hick up in her cruise control. I hit the button and the indicators come on normally, I push the set button and nothing happens. I can be riding along and try it several times and nothing then all of the suddent it works again. It might work all day or it might suddenly drop back out. When it drops out the indicator says its on stand by. Any ideas?? Thanks :Avatars_Gee_George:

Hey guys, ole Blondie has developed a hick up in her cruise control. I hit the button and the indicators come on normally, I push the set button and nothing happens. I can be riding along and try it several times and nothing then all of the suddent it works again. It might work all day or it might suddenly drop back out. When it drops out the indicator says its on stand by. Any ideas?? Thanks :Avatars_Gee_George:

Take a look at this thread for the Usual Suspects.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42469

Gary

Hey Terry,

I have the 87'VR as do you and from time to time I have had all of the switches on the right side of the handle bar act up. So far, I have been able to take all of the switches apart on the right side and clean with contact cleaner, then add some dielectric grease to the contact points and all has been well. I would start there.

Oh, the other thing is at speeds above 85MPH the cruise control will kick off so...SLOW DOWN! you mad man!:crackup:

Earl

I have a similar problem tried everything and 2 different brain boxes still cant get it to work. Im gonna have to trace each wire down next.

Pull the right front turn signal and check the connectors on the vacuum pump, since it's an intermittent thing. Go thru all the simple items first like connectors, etc. Might even pull thwe headlight and check behind there. I've got an 87 that has the fairing off right now, so if you need a hand tracing down connections, let me know.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Condor, actually when the cruise is working I can pull the clutch and it wont disengage. That is only when I hit the brakes.

You have a problem in the clutch switch then.

I t should disengage when front brake, rear brake or clutch pressed, as well as the cancel switch.

Below is link to thread on cleaning the switch.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42720

Gary

I have a similar problem tried everything and 2 different brain boxes still cant get it to work. Im gonna have to trace each wire down next.

I had the same problem, and I also had a bunch of square brain boxes working on it at the HUB in Arkansas, then I got the oldest brain around and he figured it out. It was a pinched wire passing through the top end of the forks that got cut by the steering stop tabs. It usually happens when a 1st gen cruises with 2nd gens...going so slow you gotta use the steering stops to keep the bike upright...

:moon:

Edited by Swifty